I'm also new!

Die Krugers

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have also started thinking of moving to Adelaide. Are there lots of South Africans there, and if so, how many families, if you had to guess?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have also started thinking of moving to Adelaide. Are there lots of South Africans there, and if so, how many families, if you had to guess?

Thanks!

hi tania

there must be a few thousand as a guess, also im new to the site aswell

just ask loads of questions and im sure you will get loads of really helpful answers.

we are arriving in ade on 7th sept for our new life .yippie horay,

all the best

russ

Hi Russ

Thanks for the advice! At least we won't be too alone if we move there.

Good luck with your move, it's around the corner!!

Cheers.

Tania

I seem to bump into new ones every time I go to the shops! :( There are a lot of South Africans here. I think more than people realise. If you count everyone who's south african, in other words also those who are married to other nationalities, and all colours and races there would be several 1000's. I even heard a young couple speaking SeSotho in the queue in Coles the other day...

hi tania1000

we're in adelaide aswell so if you need anything please let us know....

We've been here for about 11 years now.

We live and work in Adelaide's South.

Welcome & good luck!

Dax

Hi there

Sorry, but I have another question: I am a Financial Accountant with a degree and Honours degree in accounting. I've heard that it's difficult to get such a job in Adelaide. Would it be easier if we're already in Australia, to get a job, or more difficult? And do you think I would struggle for a long time to get a job if I try from Cape Town?

Sorry for all the questions! :D

Thanks for the help!

Tania1000 I,ve looked at the career sites and to me it seems that there is plenty of work for accountants - maybe not at the big dollar side of the spectrum - but quite a lot of work. For the past year I've been keeping an eye on the jobs and is thinking of just doing piece job at the beginning - theirs heaps of accountants looking for a loose hand - once settle I'll go for something more demanding . Beancounter greetings Pixi

Tania 1000,

Welcome indeed. Yes there are several hundreds if not thousands of Saffers in Adelaide, and more piling in :holy: A sign of the volume is of shops start stocking Saffer foods and stuff. I drove past a butchery in the east of Adelaide in near Rostrevor recently that had a huge sigh outside that said " Biltong and South African wors -Lekker" Lekker nogal ! I went inside and no, no Saffers but Aussies careting for the biltong and wors lust of the Saffies. So, plenty of us here, I visit Glenelg often and have bumped into several there and in shops or on the grass eating fish and chips :D .

Adelaide is a good place to live and I dont think you will really haver major issues to find work.

Welcome again and let us know how you go

Plenty of jobs for accountants, don't have to be CA or CPA qualified. Experience counts a lot.

Have sent you a PM, let me know how you guys go.

Cheers

Dedrei

Plenty of jobs for accountants, don't have to be CA or CPA qualified. Experience counts a lot.

Have sent you a PM, let me know how you guys go.

Cheers

Dedrei

Why can't I PM???????

I would like to chat to you about accountancy jobs in Brisbane.

Hi Tania,

We live in Adelaide and find that there are plenty of SAs here in ADL. Just about every weekend on our walks or in the shopping centres we walk passed somebody from SA.

Im in the accounting trade and found it reasonably hard to get into the market. I was fortunate to find a temp position which turned into a permanent position.The main difference which is to our disadvantage is the completion of statutory returns (here called BAS returns). These returns are for the completion of your GST,Fringe Benefit Tax and Group Tax declarations.Most employment adverts will have this as a requirement of duties. My advice is that sometimes one has to to be prepared to drop a level to gain the experience.

I tried applying positions from South Africa but was told to wait till I arrived in Oz. I know it depends from person to person but the Agency that helped me the best was Hudsons. they are one of the bigger consultancy agencies in Oz.

Best of luck

I know of quite a few South Africans in Adelaide - and will join them early in next year if everything works out according to plan.

There were 3722 South African born people living in Adelaide in August 2006 we had a census then. so the number is possibly higher now.

Yup. You bump into Saffers in the strangest of places.

I am an electrician and my employer regularly has us "out bush" working on Telstra contracts. Recently I was working on solar powered sites between Adelaide and Alice Springs. While I was busy changing over solar panels at one site, a old "bakkie" pulled up and a very large guy got out. He came up to me and (nogal in the thickest Afrikaans accent possible ek sê!) asked me if he "kood hev sum of dose pennels". My carefully considered reply was "F@#K off Vallie!" As you can imagine, the look on his face was priceless. I bet that he was not expecting to find a Verdomde Rooinek Ingelsman Saffer all the way out there! Turns out he has also been here for a few years and he dearly misses a good old braai. To cut a long story short, we packed up for the day, kicked some more wood onto the campfire, got out the brandy and coke (not Klippies but good enough) and had a good old yarn while my fellow Aussie workers sat arround trying to figure out what the hell we were talking about. ;)

Good one Mike ! :blink::)

I travel in Australia fairly often for work and have had it once where a air host or whatever they are called actually said to me " howzit, welkom aanboord, geniet die vlug" with a fair bit of Aussie accent in there when he saw my name on my boarding pass when they check upon people entering the plane. It took me a few seconds to realise he spoke Afrikaans and I looked at him with a idiot like grin on my face, right after I already delivered my standard English "good thanks, how are you"? reply. I promptly transalted my reply of course. When I left I asked him what if I wasn't a South African, he only went by my name, his reply was " I can recognise a big dutchman anywhere" :ilikeit: He's a soutie that has been here for 10 year apparently, came with his parents.