Just joined but been here 5years now

Marianne

Hi

My name is Marianne and left South Africa in July 2002. Originally I come from Holland, my husband Andy was born in Blackpool, UK, and our son, Sean was born in South Africa in 1988, In Jo'burg Gen. Andy and I met in South Africa. I grew up in Lambton, Germiston (Transvaal), and when I got married, we lived in Sunnyridge, Germiston. Sadly, I saw very little future for my son, and one day decided, after we had a "minor" break in, that I cannot live with one eye on my shoulder, 1 eye looking in front, 1 hand holding a panic button, the other hand holding a self defence weapon. We had our own business, and eventually, even going to the bank with the days takings, was a nightmarish experience. I notified family when going to the bank in case I didn't come home, that they fetch my son from school. Shopping too became a nightmare. Not knowing if my car was still there waiting for me in the car park, or if I looked forward to a long walk home.

One day I decided that we needed to leave and so we started the process. It took us just 22 months, lots of determination, lots of courage and a good dose of fear and humour but we made it across. I was so incredibly sad to leave, more than I ever thought possible. It felt as though something was torn out of my heart, and even to this day, there are some things about South Africa I miss dearly. But to put things into perspective, I miss what was before it became what it is today or what drove us to leave.

Australia has been good to us. We both found jobs very quickly. I found a job within a few days with my nursing background. My husband took a "holiday" for 3 months, then found work. Now my son is working and going to Tafe (college) next year having completed year 12 (matric). A year ago I left nursing/counselling and entered the real estate world, first as property manager, and in June started selling houses. I'm starting to reap the benefits of all my hard work that I have put into my real estate "business".

For all those people in South Africa who feel undecided about making "die Groot Trek", it is very very worthwhile. All the heartache in sifting through your beloved possessions and discarding what you can't take with you, is worth the safer lifestyle one enjoys here.

By the way, we live in Duncraig, Perth, Western Australia.

Best wishes to all and I wish those making "die Groot Trek" or are even thinking about it, courage, strength and best wishes.

Marianne

Hi

My name is Marianne and left South Africa in July 2002. Originally I come from Holland, my husband Andy was born in Blackpool, UK, and our son, Sean was born in South Africa in 1988, In Jo'burg Gen. Andy and I met in South Africa. I grew up in Lambton, Germiston (Transvaal), and when I got married, we lived in Sunnyridge, Germiston. Sadly, I saw very little future for my son, and one day decided, after we had a "minor" break in, that I cannot live with one eye on my shoulder, 1 eye looking in front, 1 hand holding a panic button, the other hand holding a self defence weapon. We had our own business, and eventually, even going to the bank with the days takings, was a nightmarish experience. I notified family when going to the bank in case I didn't come home, that they fetch my son from school. Shopping too became a nightmare. Not knowing if my car was still there waiting for me in the car park, or if I looked forward to a long walk home.

One day I decided that we needed to leave and so we started the process. It took us just 22 months, lots of determination, lots of courage and a good dose of fear and humour but we made it across. I was so incredibly sad to leave, more than I ever thought possible. It felt as though something was torn out of my heart, and even to this day, there are some things about South Africa I miss dearly. But to put things into perspective, I miss what was before it became what it is today or what drove us to leave.

Australia has been good to us. We both found jobs very quickly. I found a job within a few days with my nursing background. My husband took a "holiday" for 3 months, then found work. Now my son is working and going to Tafe (college) next year having completed year 12 (matric). A year ago I left nursing/counselling and entered the real estate world, first as property manager, and in June started selling houses. I'm starting to reap the benefits of all my hard work that I have put into my real estate "business".

For all those people in South Africa who feel undecided about making "die Groot Trek", it is very very worthwhile. All the heartache in sifting through your beloved possessions and discarding what you can't take with you, is worth the safer lifestyle one enjoys here.

By the way, we live in Duncraig, Perth, Western Australia.

Best wishes to all and I wish those making "die Groot Trek" or are even thinking about it, courage, strength and best wishes.

Marianne

Marianne, thank you for this post and your encouraging words to all. "...the safer lifestyle one enjoys here", I couldn't agree with you more. We have been here 7 months and still ask ourselves why didn't we make the move sooner? We are so happy and completely relaxed, and wish the same for everyone else patiently waiting to land here.

Hi Marianne,

Welkom by die forum - al is jy 'n ou hand!!

Groete

JJ

Hi Marianne,

Welkom by die forum - al is jy 'n ou hand!!

Groete

JJ

Hi JJ

Baie dankie. Really glad to be a member. I only wish that I knew about this forum while in the process of emmigrating. This site has been so encouraging and so useful and I have encouraged others to visit this site too.

Best wishes

Marianne :thumbdown:

Hi Marianne!

It's always great to get encouragement from some one who's "been there, done that".

I'm a qualified estate agent but not practicing at the moment. We even had an arrangement with Chubb to check in on us when we sat on show, because of the attacks on estate agents. I would love to get back into the industry and plan to look into it when we EVENTUALLY get there. I miss it!

Good luck with your future in the industry!

Aramat

Marianne, thank you for this post and your encouraging words to all. "...the safer lifestyle one enjoys here", I couldn't agree with you more. We have been here 7 months and still ask ourselves why didn't we make the move sooner? We are so happy and completely relaxed, and wish the same for everyone else patiently waiting to land here.

Hi Juno1

We asked that very same question. I think maybe it's because you don't really want to leave because there is hope that things will get better. It will....oneday maybe, but not in my lifetime. And so, when hope starts to fade and reality kicks in, our survival instincts takes over.

Anyway, life is peachy, 4 minutes car trip from the beach, which equates to a 17 min walk, a real South African butcher down the road where we can get real boerewors and biltong, what more do I want. Braaivleis, biltong and sunny skies, hehe. Come on summer come on :thumbdown:

Best wishes

Marianne

Hi Marianne!

It's always great to get encouragement from some one who's "been there, done that".

I'm a qualified estate agent but not practicing at the moment. We even had an arrangement with Chubb to check in on us when we sat on show, because of the attacks on estate agents. I would love to get back into the industry and plan to look into it when we EVENTUALLY get there. I miss it!

Good luck with your future in the industry!

Aramat

Hi Aramat

Good to hear from you. Where in Australia will you be moving to? I also used Chubb to check on our business and our house. You just made me remember an incident which happened in South Africa. My son was alone at home, my husband was at work and I had to see the doctor. My son heard a noise and called security. When I got home my house was surrounded by security, every cupboard and wardrobe was opened and checked, my son who was 12 at the time, and only alone for less than 30min, was standing on the verge (pavement) white as a sheet and trembling like a leaf. I came driving down the road, saw all the security vans and emergency lights and nearly had a heart attack just from the scene! Thinking back I can laugh at it now, but it wasn't so funny at the time.

Anyway, if you want information about getting into the real estate world in Australia, let me know, I'll be glad to give you more information.

Best wishes and thanks for the memories :thumbdown:

Marianne

Marianne, we are looking to settle in Mandurah, 2nd choice is Bunbury and if we can't come right with employment my hubby has had several job offers in Adelaide. So we will probably only really know when we are there, where we will finally settle...

It seems so vague... not like me at all, I usually have everything planned, all my t's cossed and i's dotted!

I' ll let you know Re: the property industry info, when we know a bit more about where and when etc.

Aramat

Hi Marianne

Welcome to the forum. Yes I am please to have come across this site beforehand. We are busy with our 136, the application is already sent, we are just waiting for acknowledgement. My hubby is a electrician. We hope to go over with 'n 457, since we would be able to go quicker. But we have to wait and see what's happening.

Welcome again, and hope you enjoy the site. Oh yes before I forget, we are also planning to move to Perth or where we find work.

Telanie

Marianne, we are looking to settle in Mandurah, 2nd choice is Bunbury and if we can't come right with employment my hubby has had several job offers in Adelaide. So we will probably only really know when we are there, where we will finally settle...

It seems so vague... not like me at all, I usually have everything planned, all my t's cossed and i's dotted!

I' ll let you know Re: the property industry info, when we know a bit more about where and when etc.

Aramat

Hi Aramat

Right now Mandurah is the growth corridor of the south i.e south but still in Western Australia. The new train line - which should have been completed already - should be fully operational by December this year. Huge amounts of land has just been released for residential as well as commercial development. So I think it would suit you with regards to real estate and your husband with his back ground. Hope this information helps. By the way Mandurah is about 2 hrs drive from where I am, and Bunbury about 4hrs. Best wishes

Marianne :)

Hello Marianne

It is always encouraging for us to hear from people who are already there and enjoying life.

Hello Juno 1

We are so happy and completely relaxed, and wish the same for everyone else patiently waiting to land here.

I dont know about the "patiently" but we sure are waiting :)

SEE YOU ALL IN WA soon hopefully

Michael

Hi Marianne

Welcome to the forum. Yes I am please to have come across this site beforehand. We are busy with our 136, the application is already sent, we are just waiting for acknowledgement. My hubby is a electrician. We hope to go over with 'n 457, since we would be able to go quicker. But we have to wait and see what's happening.

Welcome again, and hope you enjoy the site. Oh yes before I forget, we are also planning to move to Perth or where we find work.

Telanie

Hi Telanie

Thank you. I wish you well and good luck. There is lots of opportunies for electricians here. I know of quiet a few who are self employed electricians and making a good living. How long has your husband been qualified?

P.S. Fingers crossed that you will get the green light soon.

Best wishes

Marianne :ilikeit: