School Fees For public Schools on a 457 in QLD

krogs2aus

Hi All,

I have been through all the discusions and can still not get the right answer to the above topic. I have spoken to friends that are in Brisbane on a 457 visa and according to them you only pay the normal rate for school fees in a public school. I have been onto the QLD education website and the international learner fees there seem to refer to people not living in AUS.

Can anyone shed light on this matter as we will probably be leaving end September to stay in Coomera, Gold Coast.

Regards

Wilfred

Hi Wilfred

Yes as far as what i am aware, you only pay for school fees. The school that i am planning to enroll my kids charge $35/year. I hope there are no other hidden charges!!

Someone correct me if i am wrong???

Hi All,

I have been through all the discusions and can still not get the right answer to the above topic. I have spoken to friends that are in Brisbane on a 457 visa and according to them you only pay the normal rate for school fees in a public school. I have been onto the QLD education website and the international learner fees there seem to refer to people not living in AUS.

Can anyone shed light on this matter as we will probably be leaving end September to stay in Coomera, Gold Coast.

Regards

Wilfred

Hi Rodz

Thank you for the reply. I also hope there are no hidden costs. I have also found that everybody has a different story but it would be nice if someone from Brisbane on a 457 visa with kids at school could confirm this for us. Good luck with your new venture. Stay in touch.

Regard Wilfred

Hi All,

I managed to get a reply from the QLD education board on this matter and hope it helps all asking the same question.

"On a visa subclass 457 you are not required to pay any international student fees, unless your son requires special needs. You may make arrangements for your son's enrolment directly with the school."

This is from the horses mouth.

Regards

Wilfred :)

Thats where i got my answers as well......straight out of the horses mouth!!!

...I hope he brushed his teeth, and also do not tell your kids you are calling their educators horses, I can only see trouble then.... :D

Hi All,

Regards

Wilfred

What school in Coomera? Junior or HIgh?

Heather

Hi there

And apologies if I'm hi-jacking this thread. Heather maybe you can help with this! We are also looking at the Gold Coast (Coomera, Hope Island and surrounding areas) and I don't think we will qualify for free education on the provisional business visa 160. If we don't could you tell us what

1) Public school fees are per annum (primary and high)

2) Private schools (primary and high)

I know for the private schools this will depend on the school, but an idea would be appreciated.

I've heard even public schooling is very expensive and I also can't seem to find any of this information on the government websites.

Any estimates would be appreciated, just so we know what to expect.

Thanks a mil!

Lisa

We are from Durban North and also planning on going to the Hope Island/surrounding area. We are arriving late November. The Independant schools which I have been looking at for my 7 and 10 year olds are about

$4000 per year per child. (junior school) The Catholic schools are about $1500 -2000 per year per child. Not sure of the public schools but usually about $60 per year. Then you get private schools which I have not even considered but I'm sure are very expensive.

Does anyone know if the public schools in the areas above are any good.

HI Heather

PM QueenslandGirl and Heather. They have a lot of info about schooling on the GC especially the Coomera area that they have sent. Gvt schools are not that great and lack discipline. Do you have any websites on the schools you've researched? If so, please send them to me.

We're only looking at getting over there around July- October next year.

How old are your kids?

We've only got one that's 2 years old (started later in life) and don't think there will be anymore.

bye for now

Lisa

Hi to all

My sisters husband just arrived back from Brisbane on his LSC. They are planning to go on a business visa. He had a appointment with the principal of the Goverment school in Tamborine Mountain and three other schools.

According to all of them they will have to pay 250$ per child per week. 50$ a day. 1000$ per child per month.

This is a great concern for us as we also plan to go on a business visa, but will not be able to pay 2000$ a month for school fees until we get our PR.

Any information regarding schoolfees on a business visa would be appreciated

Garfield

Hi all,

Firstly to Heather, Thanks for your reply, we are looking at junior school as my son is 8. Are your kids going to junior school there? and if so where? We have friends that have been there for 2 years and there son started at St Stevens college and is now going to Helensvale Primary.

To everyone else, we were also unsure about public school fees and had heard many stories. I then got in direct contact with the QLD education department and the reply that was sent above came directly from them. The other people we have spoken to in Brisbane on 457 visas have also said that you only pay the same as the locals. Private school rates are what they are wether you are local or on a 457. I am not sure about the 160 business visa, but I recommend that you send an e-mail to the QLD edu board.

Heather i have had meetings with the Principals of Coomera primary as well as St stevens college. Coomera primary seems fine and most have told us to send my kids to public school for Junior school and pvt for high,

Can you possibly share some of your experiences?

regards

Wilfred

Private school rates are what they are wether you are local or on a 457.

Hi Krogs2aus,

My daughter is in a private school on the Gold Coast and when we arrived on the 457 we were quoted international fees, nearly 3x as much. Luckily for us we had already applied for PR and had medicare, etc so the school used the letter from Immigration and we paid the local fees for private schools. Once again I think it depends on which school you send your child to as they all seem to have a different set of rules.

Hi all,

Firstly to Heather, Thanks for your reply, we are looking at junior school as my son is 8. Are your kids going to junior school there? and if so where? We have friends that have been there for 2 years and there son started at St Stevens college and is now going to Helensvale Primary.

To everyone else, we were also unsure about public school fees and had heard many stories. I then got in direct contact with the QLD education department and the reply that was sent above came directly from them. The other people we have spoken to in Brisbane on 457 visas have also said that you only pay the same as the locals. Private school rates are what they are wether you are local or on a 457. I am not sure about the 160 business visa, but I recommend that you send an e-mail to the QLD edu board.

Heather i have had meetings with the Principals of Coomera primary as well as St stevens college. Coomera primary seems fine and most have told us to send my kids to public school for Junior school and pvt for high,

Can you possibly share some of your experiences?

regards

Wilfred

Wilfred, my youngest was 10 when I arrived and I put him into a local state school called Mudgeeraba state school, he was there for only one year when they made him house captain for the second and final year. The school was really great and he was happy there, I must say that I too felt that high school was more important and if you are watching the pennies then I would suggest state schools first. We had twins that started in year 8 at a state school at the same time and one in year 11 that we put into a private school He had a terrible year at this school as he is more a sporty kid and not an academic and begged us to change him to the state school for his final year as his siblings seemed to be happy at the state school We moved him for the last year of school and he flourished. The twins were at the state school and by the time they got to year 10 and we wanted to move them, they did not want to move to another school. We had them on a waiting list for All Saints Anglican school (5 years!!) and still they did not get in and they were adamant that that was the only other school they wanted to go to. The twins completed their schooling at the state school, were wonderful ambassadors for the school, they were sent on all types of leadership courses, were prefects (school leaders as they are called here) and one even joined the Gold Coast Junior city council - after their year they went on to become Rotary exchange students and have just finished a year abroad. The state school was extremely proud of their achievements and always rewarded the students well. My youngest finally got into All Saints for year 10 (2 years ago) and we decided to move him and I must in all fairness say that the quality of kids at the private schools is just way way better than the state schools, although I was lucky enough to have kids that chose wonderful (mostly ex-south african) friends. I dont know much about Coomera primary except that Coomera springs, upper coomera etc are all mainly cheaper rentals as they were bought mainly by investors - so I would ask Queensland girl as that is her territory - her kids go to St Stephens and I have heard nothing but great remarks about that school and loads of my friends kids go there ..

I hope this helps in some way....(my kids went from a wonderful private school in Kloof to an international school in Mauritius and then to the state school - so for them it was not that much of a shock as far as uniforms and jewellery etc goes as it was pretty standard in Mauritius...but if you can look past that - they generally are not too bad)

thanks

Heather

We are from Durban North and also planning on going to the Hope Island/surrounding area. We are arriving late November. The Independant schools which I have been looking at for my 7 and 10 year olds are about

$4000 per year per child. (junior school) The Catholic schools are about $1500 -2000 per year per child. Not sure of the public schools but usually about $60 per year. Then you get private schools which I have not even considered but I'm sure are very expensive.

Does anyone know if the public schools in the areas above are any good.

queensland girl - this ones for you.....this is your territory

Heather

Hi there

And apologies if I'm hi-jacking this thread. Heather maybe you can help with this! We are also looking at the Gold Coast (Coomera, Hope Island and surrounding areas) and I don't think we will qualify for free education on the provisional business visa 160. If we don't could you tell us what

1) Public school fees are per annum (primary and high)

2) Private schools (primary and high)

I know for the private schools this will depend on the school, but an idea would be appreciated.

I've heard even public schooling is very expensive and I also can't seem to find any of this information on the government websites.

Any estimates would be appreciated, just so we know what to expect.

Thanks a mil!

Lisa

will see what I can find out for you

Heather