The cost of kids:

EEG

Hi too all I have two kids one almost 4 and the other turns a year in Desember. Anyway for all you ladies planning on starting a family you must keep in mind that you can take a few months to actually fall pregnant with both my children it took 7months. However my one friend stoped the pill and got pregnant the month after that.

It is actually better to wait 3 months after stopping what ever method of birth control that you are using... Good luck to all it will change your lifes forever... :ilikeit:

and another little piece of advice... however much planning you do life will sometimes throw you a curveball - we've got identical twins on the way!

The bottom line to the original question is . . .

If you don't think you can afford to have kids, maybe you shouldn't have any at that time.

Kids . . . like motor cars . . . cost

Anyone thinking that they don't isn't ready for them.

Kids . . . like motor cars . . . cost more and more, the older they get, but after 25 years, you wouldn't want to part with them.

They take up huge amounts of time, but the bonding with them is great.

You'll find they are the best thing in your life since sliced bread :)

Geniet!

Edited by Bob

Guest Bronwyn

I just wanted to say that I think it's great that the men on the forum also get involved in this kind of discussion. It just goes to show that it's not a 'Ladies Lounge' type of a topic and that dads are very hands on nowadays. :):ilikeit::ilikeit:

12 years ago when my daughter was born my husband was very involved with everything, but everyone said I was one of the lucky ones, because he changed nappies, got up in the night, and did just as much as I did. Nowadays a lot more dads have realised what a rewarding and bonding experence it is to truly participate in your baby's life. There is no greater priviledge (or humbling experience) than to be a mom or dad.

I think its great. Keep up the good work, new-age dads! :lol:

Hi Guys and Girls,

As per ususal I have a different take on things!!!

Des and I didn't plan our babies, wel especially not the first one!!!!! He was a surprize extrodanaire!!!

I believe that you will make it even if you don't do all the financial planning! Life is like that, you deal with what is delt!

Des was still an appy when I fell pregnant and we just had to budget and it was all good! We didn't even have a car! And don't think that's where it stopped, we had nr 2 just a year and a half after nr 1 and nr 3 not long after that. Recycling cot, pram etc!

We decided that I will be a stay at home mommy untill they all went to school as daycare was very expensive even those days. Nr 3 did go to GR 0 but the others 2 didn't.

Now here we are 25 years later and not badly off at all. We had to give up having the smart cars and the big house and the long holidays. Looking back those we GREAT times, I had to budget and we had to do without but in the end it was all worth it!!

So, my take on things are: Just do it, don't over annalize, get pregnant and have the best time with your little gift! All will be well.

Lovies

Nilo

Edited by Nilo

Thanks Clare & Gaille for all the info and the links. :ilikeit:

My baby bonus would be used as income for the period that I am on maternity leave, seeing as you don't really get paid maternity leave in Aus. ;) It will be for all the costs that would have normally been paid by my salary, like the rent & the car etc. Wish I could use the $5000 for startup things.

So basically we will be saving for 12 months to cover these huge expense plus the cost of having our own OBGYN. I am not comfortable just going to the GP or midwife. So I'll be going private on this matter and having the delivery I want and not what the state wants me to have. That's a whole topic on it's own.

Then I have been chatting to some other ladies that have babies and apparently the cost of the day to day expenses like the food & nappies, etc are easily managed in your budget as these aren't too expensive.

I see that we might have a new baby club this time next year! :whome:

Cheers

Dedrei

Hi All

JUst want to find somethings about having a baby in OZ. I am currently in South AFrica and pregnant and was thinking of going to OZ since I Have my visa which will expire in 2010, before the birth of the child. How easy is to find a doctor. I will only be arriving like 2 to 3 months before the birth. And what I need to know about the public system: do I need to see a GP? I definitely need a c-section for medical reasons, and would like to now if you know how this works. How do I go about finding an OB-Gyn and which hospital do I need to go. I heard it depends on where I will live.

Also heard you need to put your name down in advance for a childcare. I have already a son, 3 years old. WHat age does pre-school starts at? I know primary schools starts at 5. So will he qualify for day care or pre-school.? Are pre-schools also public or they only private?

Is the idea of having the child in OZ too crazy, considering that my husband will not be moving as yet. So I will be basically on my own, with my two children. Of course I will need to work after the birth of the child so childcare will be needed unless I can telecommute.

My biggest fear is finding a good doctor, and that everything goes smothly. I am about to book my ticket, but really wondering if it will not b eeasier o have the baby in SA and do teh visa afterwards.

Thank you

Andrea