The move to Australia

die Mulders

Hi everybody!

The Mulders have been quiet for the last couple of weeks because we are getting everything ready. Our container was packed yesterday and I thought that I will share our exprience with you.

Everything went smoothly but it is still a stressful thing to go through. Both my husband and I are still in a bit of a shocked state and feel a bit weird. It is the excitement of the new waiting but also the strange feeling of seeing your whole life wraped up in brown paper bubble wrap!

Some tips I'd like to share - use it, don't use it...

• Have enough time to clean everything. Things normally take up more time than you anticipate! Start cleaning things you are not using and wrap it in a black bag to keep it dust free - like a fan that you only use in summer.
  • Get everything out of the house that is not going with you. If you still need to give stuff away or sell things, do it well in advance if you can.
  • If you use plastic containers in your kitchen, start washing them and putting them aside as they empty with use. It saves some time having to wash ALL of them before you go.
  • We packed some tea and baby milk but used a vacuum sealer, it saves a bit of space.
  • For anything else that shouldn't be packed, put it in a cupboard and stick a paper on the door "don't pack this cupboard" - because they REALLY pack everything. They will even pack an empty tissue box if you don't throw it away!
  • We dismantled desks, tool racks and anything that is colapsible before the time. The packers thanked us, because it made their job a bit easier.
  • Plastic wrap works wonders - it is the glad wrap type stuff that they use around painting's edges to keep it from scratching. Places like 'Box man' sell it too. It is amazing and you can easily tie stuff together with it.
  • Make sure you have enough time to let your washing machine and dish washer dry.
  • They use all the linen and towels to stuff into drawers etc. Don't wash and iron everything those last couple of weeks.... it is going to need that after the move. I washed but should have left the ironing.

Might think of some things later, and will add it.

Here are some photos of the wrapping and packing. Also from loading the container to sealing it (they do it for security reasons).

The Packing

post-2092-1188073116.jpg

The 20ft Container

post-2092-1188073205.jpg

Guest colton

Hi There,

Finally you are on your way. For us it was wonderful once the container was gone as there isn't much you can do once that is gone. Enjoy the last couple of days. I also washed EVERYTHING before they packed it but when we unpacked the container this side I was horrified at how filthy everything was. How on earth can so much dust get into all that packaging, it still amazes me. As we unwrapped we washed, including crockery and cutlery and sheets and towels. We are now organizing our next move to our own home on 15 September but luckily it isn't such a big job this time around. Unfortunately the shorter the time gets the more difficult the wait becomes, hang in there you will be here pretty soon. :ilikeit:

Hi Mulders,

Dankie vir al die tips - dit kom alreeds handig tepas alhoewel ons (ek dink) nog 'n tydjie hier sal moet vertoef.

Die groot rolle met die blasies in, word "bubble wrap" genoem, en die ander wat met alles aanmekaar heg - "pallet wrap". Wonderlike verpakkings materiale.

Sterkte met julle wag - waar bly julle intussen en hoe lank voordat julle julle meubels weer kan uitpak?

Groetnis

JJ

Now you know you are on your way. We also taking a container packed to the brim. We personaly feel it is the wise choice. Anything you forgot to put in, to late now.

Good Luck with the final stages.

Cheers

Camper

Hi Julle.

Ja daar staan julle en julle hele lewe word voor julle gepak en weggevat. Dit is nogal scary. :ilikeit: Maar julle is seker bly julle het al sover gevorder.

Was julle tevrede met die diens en die prys van Kings ? Ons gaan ook Brisbane toe vanaf Pta en sal ook 20ft nodig he.

Dankie vir die advies en foto's. :thumbdown:

Geniet julle tydjie hier en sterkte met die laaste reelings.

Cheers vir eers

Sheila2Oz

Hi Thanks for the useful tips...and if you don't mind me asking, how much did the 20ft container/packing/shipping etc set you back?

Ta

Lyse

Hi,

Just wondering why the Guy in the last photo still has something in his hands. It is wrapped but not in the container ......OOPS :ilikeit::ilikeit: hope you did not forget it ... :thumbdown::ilikeit:

Hi,

Just wondering why the Guy in the last photo still has something in his hands. It is wrapped but not in the container ......OOPS :D:D hope you did not forget it ... :lol::D

EISH!!!!!!

Hi Annelize,

dankie vir die foto's en tips! Sal most def daardie neerskryf en in gedagte hou vir wanneer ons ook een dag trek. Was die naweek in julle geweste en gewonder hoe dit gaan.

Hoop julle geniet julle laaste rukkie hierso!

Groete,

Michele

Hi guys,

We are still very tired after everything and I must say that we are also feeling a bit weird...ek weetnie? Just weird....

Went back home to clean and paint today and suddenly it hit me again.

To answer your question.... Ha ha - you guys are sharp!

Infact, we didn't get everything in the container. We were quoted on a 40ft but the budget allowed for a 20ft. We got rid of a lot of extra things...maar helaas! it was not enough. The extra bits are waiting at the warehouse to share with someone. Its not even a quater of the container. But don't get a fright... I am an artist and have A LOT OF PAINTINGS and SCULPTURES. Mostly it is that, my piano and a couple of titbits that didn't fit (that thing in his had is our standing lamp).

The 20ft cost us R37 000. I must just add that we moved from Jo'burg to CapeTown last year and that set us back around R17000... so actually the International move is not too bad if you think what a domestic move costs. AND with the Aus move, they pack for you...

I can really reccomend Kings..well, that is the Western Cape office. They were very professional, quiet...they came in, and each one did their thing. It was like watching a well oiled machine.

Jay Jay - thanks, nou weet ek ook wat daardie wrap genoem word.

We are staying with my mom in Kleinmond... lekker by die see. But I must be honest, the emotional part and the stress is not going away at all. My hubby and I are both not our selves...I don't think we will be for quite some time.

Good luck to all of you...

will keep in touch, great to be back on the forum.

Groete uit die kaap

A

[Hi all

As I write this I have the packers behind me wrapping everything !! very emotional experience, I started crying the minute the removal truck pulled into our driveway and I saw the word "international" !!

Just a quick question, I noticed that some of my caserole dishes ect were not 100% clean, but before I could do anything they have been wrapped and packed. The supervisor said not to worry, but will there be a problem once it reaches Australia??

Thanks to the Mulders for the advice and tips!!!

Robyn

They will be fine.... they only seem to check things that are seen as likely to carry diseases/dirt etc. like your "braai", golf clubs, plant pots....

Relax and enjoy all your goodbyes :ilikeit:

Thanks for the pics. I was battling to visualise how big the container was and this is great.

This is what everything looks like when it arrives. :blink: Make sure you have something sturdy and sharp to get through all the packaging and many layers of wrapping tape. It looks pretty scary when everything off loaded and stacked inside the house. You think you will never, ever sort it all out. However, you do. It takes time, and believe me, you do eventually get there. The main thing is not to stress yourself. It doesn't have to be done all at once. No one is going to walk inside your house and think "look at all this mess!!!!"

By the way, we ticked off every item that came out of the container. We ended up with one box missing. We have no idea what was inside the box as the contents description next to the number on the itinerary is blank. To this day, we still have no idea what the box contained so obviously nothing important :whome:

Hi Mulders. Sjoe dit lyk so beken toe ons 10 maande terug ons 40 voet container laat kom pak het in Gordensbaai. Ek het sommer begin huil toe hul hom toemaak en daar weg ry. Ek was in trane en daar het soveel dinge deur my kop gegaan op daai oomblik. Om weer in daai lee huis in te gestap het was aaklig verby. Sterkte met als wat nog moet plaasvind. Dink aan julle deur die tyd.

Groete Ursula .

Hi there...me...again...

Autralian - don't worry about your dishes. I bet you, when that container leaves you are going to be too tired to care. And yes, they are more worried about things like golf clubs, garden stuff, vacuum cleaner etc. Moenie worrie nie...

Juno - thanks for the pics. 6 - 8 weeks doesn't sound too bad but I am already missing my bed and "things".. I think it helps on that side when your goodies arrive and it feels like your home. I will make sure we are prepared to unwrap and saw through all the plastic.

Allie&Urs - jis die tyd vlieg. Hoop dit gaan nog goed met julle. Ek gaan die Kaap mis. Dis wragties nou die mooiste tyd van die jaar en walvisse speel al lekker hier in die baai rond!

Take care everybody

a

Die groot trek, ja....

Ek moes al my plante weggee, die boom varings, my suurlemoen boompie in 'n pot alles. dit was hartseer.

En toe die vragmotor wegry met al ons goed in en ek die deur agter my toemaak, het dit gevoel of ek regtig haweloos is. Op daardie stadium het ek net die kar en my 20 kg bagasie by my gehad. Hubby was klaar in Oz en die gevoel van verlatenheid was erg. Toe vra die buurman my ook nog "gaan julle trek?' Huh! Is hy dan blind?

So sonder adres, met niks in jou naam....was nie lekker nie. Trane het die heeltyd gestroom.....

7 maande later en alles voel soos 'n droom, kan nie glo mens het die krag gehad vir al daai nie!

Sterkte,

Kannidood.

We ended up with one box missing. We have no idea what was inside the box as the contents description next to the number on the itinerary is blank. To this day, we still have no idea what the box contained so obviously nothing important :ilikeit:

We had 5 boxes missing and cannot work out what was in them, we have our suspicions but can't claim for anything from the insurance because we don't know what to claim for. If I had to do it again I would take a photo of the top of the unsealed boxes just so that you have some idea of what was in there. It bothers me that it could be something valuable like rarely used books and I dont even know what I am missing. I know, if I cant work it out it was probably something not worthwhile, however, we did do a massive clean out before coming and our stuff was in storage for 6 months before being shipped.

Another thing I would do is take photo of every item and its number as it arrives, that way if you have some items unchecked you can reconcile things if the wrapping has been removed. One of the movers was actually calling out the wrong numbers to my wife as he was briniing things in it turned out but they had started removing some of the wrappers before the entire shipment was unloaded. You just have to be firm with them and insist on at least seeing the numbers yourself. We also actualy found some duplicate numbers that had been labelled that way.

Dankie Mulders vir die post, het 'n paar lekker tips gekry.

Is besig om vir my 'n "To Do" list op te stel vir die pakkery (deur al julle tips te gebruik) :ilikeit:

Geniet die laaste paar dae by jou Ma.

My tannie bly ook in Kleinmond (Neethling str), dis pragtig daar :ph34r:

Groete

Pofstert

Hi alanb, Please tell me how moved your stuff, I would hate to have some of my boxes go missing.

Ps, do they pack your stuff out of your cupboards or do you unpack them before they arrive?

Lynettej

Hi Mulders

Oe, julle weet daardie gevoel as jy net aan die slaap raak en dit voel asof jy n trappie misgetrap het.. dit is hoe ek gevoel het toe ek die foto's sien :P . Dit is wanneer die finaliteit ook seker deurkom? Ek kan nie dink hoe dit moet voel om daar te wees nie! BAIE BAIE sterte aan julle en ek hoop alles gaan sommer voor die wind :ilikeit::ph34r: !

Ek was ook nogal bekommerd na ek hierdie post gelees het want ons gaan ook net n 20f kry en ons het n 4 slaapkamer huis. Ek worry nou erg of alles gaan inkom? :D

Dit gaan eintlik net 3 slaapkamers wees aangesien ons die spaarkamer se goed nie gaan vat nie. Daar is ook nie iets uit die garage eintlik wat gaan nie.

Nogmaal sterke en ons dink aan julle!

Estelle