School fees

Natasja

Good day to all

My husband has just finished his LSD trip and investigated almost everything we need to know about Aus. He went to Brisbane and fell in love with the place. I nearly fell off my chair when he phoned me on Wednesday and told me that we need to pay between $49 and $69 per day per child. My children are 2 and 4 years old and that will mean we will have to cough up $2000 plus minus just to send them to school. That is insane.

My husband's cousin immigrated about 4 years ago to Brisbane with a visa on her husband's trade. I do not know which visa they used to get there, but she told me that they qualified for child care. When do you qualify for child care and what visa do you need to qualify for that as I just feel terrible about the cost of schooling.

I will probably have to work full day and then all the money will go towards schooling.?????

Can anybody please advise

Kind Regards

Natasja

Hi Natanshja

I can't tell you about child care because my kids are 12 & 15, but I have heard from many people that the cost of kindy is outrageous!

What I can agree with though is that Brisbane is a wonderful place to live! Wev'e been here just on 5 months, also came from Durban and love it to bits.

I have a friend here and because of the cost of kindy, she finds it cheaper to stay home with her son than go out to work!

Good luck and hopefully someone on the forum will be able to give you the info you need.

Take care

Pam

Natasja, if you are coming on a permanent visa (136 and a few others), you will qualify for some help towards the cost of childcare, but it will depend on your income how much you get. So, it will never be free. :holy: If you are on a temporary or provisional visa you will pay full price.

A lot of mum's stay at home to look after their little kids. In many ways, the Australian system is geared toward making it easier for mums or encouraging them to stay home for longer with their preschool children because it's best for them. :rolleyes:

You don't necessarily have to work full day every day. There are many family-friendly options here - half days or job share or only working some days per week. The Aussies are very family-focused, you'll be surprised at the flexible working hours you could work here.

My recommendation in any case would always be for one parent to not work for at least the first 3 months after migration to help the kids settle. After that, you can ease into a job that fits around the family. They'll thank you for it :(

Hi

I have 2 kids the around the same age as yours. They are both in childcare and yes the cost is about

Au$ 270 to 280 per week per child. We are on a 457 visa so we do not qualify for the childcare benefit. the prices differ slightly in each area in aus but are relatively expensive.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Tanner,

Financially how do you cope with paying such high costs plus rental,

plus, plus all the usual.

How much joint income per month you need?

This just makes me so nervous....

Hi Tanner

I agree with Smartie. Don't know how you do it. 280$ a week per child works out to 2200$ a month for both.

Then you still have to pay rent, food, water & lights etc etc.

I believe these fees are not only for younger children, but you pay these fees for children from grade 0 to 12. Until you have your PR visa.

My sisters husband went to a state school in Tamborine Mountain. Had a meeting with the principal and yes they would have to pay 250$ per week for their son starting grade 0.

Garfield

Hi Garfield,

Once the kiddies get to normal school I believe there is also a fee if you drop your kiddies off early (provided both parents work full day which we would have to), pick up late, plus fees for holiday care. If an average family earns AUD 100 000 per year before tax I just cannot see how if would work. I can only think that alot of ex South Africans went with alot of money in preparation for this. We just don't have that sort of cash. Those that are currently doing it - pls help?

Hi All, I'm also looking for some answers to this question. My boys will be going to Grade 0 and Grade 2 - Yes, I understand that we will be paying through the roof for Grade 0 - but will the same apply for Grade 2? We'll be living in Sydney.

Regards

Lia

You just learn to cut your cloth accordingly... :D and I can tell you categorically that the average Aussie family definitely does NOT earn £100K per year. More like around half that :holy:

Smartie, you seem to assume that all people choose to live lavish lifestyles and moreover, that all families (or at least South African ones!) are dual-income in Australia. I can tell you that this is very much NOT the case. Australians are very family-orientated and it not actually all that common for both parents to be working full-time. People have different priorities here and it is definitely not all about making a lot of money and you might find that material things count for absolutely nothing ... no one cares what car you drive, whether you have the latest gear, the smartest house, where you go on holiday (in fact, most people camp) or whatever. Chill about the money, girl. After all, you can't take it with you!

What in the world is the point of working only to pay for someone else to raise your children?

Maybe this is an oppertunity for someone from SA to open up a day care for SA children. :D

Might be a good business.

Would one be allowed to do that? :holy:

Hi Annette, u have misunderstood my question/concern. We live far from lavish life styles in SA - infact we live from month to month here - hence my concern that we would then go from 2 incomes in SA to 1 in Oz and lets be honest AUD 50 000 (as you said half) less tax - not much at all for a family of 4. Its scary when u leave SA with hardly any money to go into a new country and look for a job. We have 2 daughters to worry about - Hence my concern. I think that there alot of other moms that are also thinking the same thoughts as I am !!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Annette, u have misunderstood my question/concern. We live far from lavish life styles in SA - infact we live from month to month here - hence my concern that we would then go from 2 incomes in SA to 1 in Oz and lets be honest AUD 50 000 (as you said half) less tax - not much at all for a family of 4. Its scary when u leave SA with hardly any money to go into a new country and look for a job. We have 2 daughters to worry about - Hence my concern. I think that there alot of other moms that are also thinking the same thoughts as I am !!

Hello ....

I for one certainly feel exactly the same as you....I am in the process of checking prices of the schooling etc as the salary is not much to be desired...I too would like to be a stay at home mom in Aus ...That would be my goal to work "school" hours.....

If anyone can offer more info please feel free to do so...what is the shortest time if coming over on the 457 to get PR what would be the hold ups ...or prevent it from happening.

PS anyone have a good medical that covers everything but is reasonable...found one from iselect--would be about $82 per week ??? for a family of 5 ----we have 3 kids :ilikeit:

Thanks

Hi all,

In short... You can not have 1 or more kids in day or faily care on a single income, but you will be coping as you will be looking after the kids and I think that a salary of about $75 000 per annum is enough for a fmaily of 4.

If both of you have/want to work (like us) a big portion of the 1 salary will have to go towards day/family care and before, after school and holiday care. But this is only for a year or 3 depending on how old your kids are because when they go to prep (age 4 if they turn 5 before April) the costs drop dramatically to $61.50 per quarter (in our case). This is for public schools.

You don't really have a choice when it comes to medical cover if you are here on a 457 visa. You have to take out overseas cover which works out to $326 for a family - doesn't matter how many children or grown ups, more than 2 is a family. That is at Medibank private, one of the few that actually offers overseas cover.

Just shout if there is anything else

Cheers

Michelle

Dear Michelle

Q U O T E

(age 4 if they turn 5 before April) the costs drop dramatically to $61.50 per quarter (in our case). This is for public schools.

U N Q U O TE

Sorry am I correct in understanding then that if your child is 4 and turns 5 before April of that year - that the costs drop right down?

Wow I hope so as that would make things much easier?

Also what about vacation fee? Do schools offer that like here in SA or is all still additional?

Thanks amillion

Smartie, you need to remember that school fees differ from state to state. Michelle is in Victoria, where I presume children are not required to pay foreign student fees on a 457 when they go to school or grade 0, if that is a better description. I have an idea that South Australia is the same as Victoria. If you are going to New South Wales, I believe that you will be paying foreign student fees until you get permanent residence. I am not sure what the case is for Queensland and Western Australia.

Therefore, perhaps you should choose your state that you are going to live in very carefully!