Unwired

Springbok

thought I'd give my views having used this Internet service for 2 weeks now:

Unwired Australia brings the internet to you wirelessly over the air, rather than depending on a phone line or cable. They offer incredibly fast, 'always on' internet, but the portability and freedom that you can only get from wireless technology.

Company info

Unwired was formed on 11 August 2000 through the incorporation of Unwired Australia Pty Limited, and through initial equity capital raising undertaken in 2000 and 2001 which raised a total of $128.8 million. Those funds were used to purchase spectrum licences and to fund the initial start-up and planning costs for Unwired's fixed wireless access (FWA) network. The company purchased its spectrum licences in the WiMAX designated 3.4-3.5 GHz range from the Federal Government at auction in 2000 and today covers about 90 per cent of the population for a total investment of $110 million. In April 2003 Unwired chose Navini Networks' ground breaking non-line-of-sight technology for its network. In November 2003 Unwired Australia went to the financial markets with plans to build and operate a FWA network and raised new capital of $100 million. In December the company undertook a reverse takeover of Breathe Group, raising a further $5 million in a retail offer then relisting as Unwired Group Limited on the Australian Stock Exchange on 23 December 2003.

While still making an after-tax loss of $25 million for the financial year ended June 2007, it was 26% down from the previous year's loss of $34 million. Expenses from ordinary operating activities were just 2% higher at $59.8 million, largely due to network expansion, marketing costs and borrowing costs. Revenue from continuing operations came in at $34 million (increase of 38%) as subcriber numbers jumped 30% from 53,000 to 70,000. The Group ended the financial year with cash of $13.2 million. See Investor Centre for more details

Network availability

Unwired's Sydney-wide network launched commercially on 19 August 2004 and today covers more than four million Sydneysiders. In April 2006, the company launched its Melbourne network. Other capital cities will be covered in the near future.

Right, now for the stuff that really matters to internet subscribers:

1. Unwired is currently only available in Sydney and Melbourne.

2. The modem itself will cost you $99 once-off.

3. They deliver the next day for orders placed before 12:00.

4. Once you get the modem, install the software and connect to their website.

5. Then you select your plan and activation option and voila!

Click here for details about your plan options. You have 3 activation options too:

- $0 if you sign a 24-month contract;

- $49 if you sign a 12-month contract;

- $89 if you sign NO contract.

The Break Free plan works for me, 512kbps download speed, but I sometimes get in excess of 1 Mbps! Skype works just fine. $55 for 2GB data, not bad! What's more, you only pay for download data, upload data is free! Once you reach your monthly limit, your speed slows to 32kbps, although you can purchase additional data at $15 per 1GB and back to normal speed you go.

Unwired sends you courtesy emails when you reach 50% of your monthly usage, again at 75% and yet again at 90%. You can of course also check your usage online at anytime.

So far for me, no worries! :rolleyes:

Hi Springbok,

It sound to me just about the same system we've got in SA called iBurst. I installed a wireless router, connect the modem to it, and now I can even communicate with everybody, print etc etc, whilst watching TV - otherwise, the wife gets upset.

Groetnis

JJ

• 5 months later...

HI SPRINGBOK

THIS WIRELESS SYSTEM DO THEY HAVE IT IN BRISBANE YET ?

WE USE A MTN SYSTEM AND I TAKE THIS GOGGA ANY WERE AND I AM ON THE INTERNET THIS IS IN SA

CHEERS DEREK

POWELL2BRISBANE

HI SPRINGBOK

THIS WIRELESS SYSTEM DO THEY HAVE IT IN BRISBANE YET ?

WE USE A MTN SYSTEM AND I TAKE THIS GOGGA ANY WERE AND I AM ON THE INTERNET THIS IS IN SA

CHEERS DEREK

POWELL2BRISBANE

Hi Powells

I dont think so check the site it seems to say Melb and Syd .. Iburst appears to be available in Brissie ( you will have to google iburst aus though)