Help settle my nerves....

Nane

Hi everybody,

I am just about to embark on a great new adventure, at the ripe YOUNG age of 39, moving to Oz....! Having lived in France for the past eight years should give me all the courage I might need. My French husband and I always had the dream to move to Australia but every time I made enquiries, we never qualified. Since I never finished my studies in SA, I now decided this would be a great opportunity, to not only study further but also be able to finally move to Australia. Therefore, at the moment I, am busy applying at several Universities throughout Australia and once my student visa is approved, I will be moving with my children (6 & 16yrs). Yes, that is the part I find a bit nerve-racking. My husband’s job takes him all over the world and he will not join us for at least two years. Am I mad to want to attempt this on my own? My plan is to enroll my kids in school and take up my studies where I left of. Luckily, I can afford to study fulltime. In SA, I finished my BA in Human Movement Science and Psychology. Now I want to complete my Masters of Education and Masters in Psychology.

On Friday(tomorrow), I have to do an English Competency test (TOEFL) as I attended an Afrikaans speaking uni in SA. Has anyone done this test? I sure am nervous and this is only the first step!

Since this would not be the first time to move to a different country, I am aware of the hard days ahead, but also know that this will pass. I certainly have no illusions, but I am feeling very positive about my decision.

Anyone out there with any kind of advice and some encouraging words will be greatly appreciated. How easy…or difficult is it to find a job as a teacher or school counselor (After I finished my studies)?

How do the schools compare to SA and how easy is it to find good aftercare for my six year old?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Hi Nane

Welcome - hope you find loads of help and support on this site, I know I do. You need to "look" for Caroline, she is also going to be a mature (sorry Caroline) student. Just a quick note - I wrote the IELTS in January and was v nervous, but it was not at all hard.

Good Luck

Cindylou

:D:sleep1: Here I am answering in the foyer and you mention me here :D

Oh yes, forgot to tell Nane how old I am ... 36 (turning 37 in October) but don't tell anybody :)

3 kids: 4,8 and a 15 year old stepson.

Chat later

Caroline

Dear Nane,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with all your plans! My husband did his IELTS last year in September and went very well. Are you doing the general test or the academic one?

If your husband was in the position where he could have join you and the kids, would he have been allowed to work in Australia?

I am very curious. My husband is busy with his 3 legal exams for him to be admitted in NSW. We are still based in South Africa, but would like to move to Oz as soon as possible. Do you think that we should explore this avenue?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Pippa

My sister-in-law(39) mother of three children age 18,8,6 has just taken up fulltime study at Griffiths University on the Gold Coast.

She has always wanted to be a teacher but never had the opportunity.

She is at Uni two full days a week and on half day. She says she is surrounded by mature age students.

I think it will be a culture shock coming from France, although being a girl from the Joburg will stand you in good stead.

It really. really matters where you live.ike in any country you have areas which are better to be avoided.

Melbourne is our cultural heartland and possibly if you were intending to replicate your ex-pat life in france, you will feel most comfortable.

Our lifestyle on the Gold Coast is more relaxed than the cities and we tend to dress in a very casual manner. I have adapted to this with no problem and now enjoy the freedom this has given me.

What are the schools like? depends on the area and the school itself. Tell me what you want and expect and I will probably be able to indicate which school will fullfill your needs.

I am really happy with the education here, and Outcomes Based Education has its benefits.

You will receive advice from many , but be wary of advice from people who do not actually live here. I have heard the most ridiculous statements-stated as fact.

You are taking a brave step, but I admire you for being bold and taking our future in your own hands.

Most schools have a dedicated School Councellor. At my childrens school the school Councelor has a doctorate is psychology and she has been instrumental in establishing the most amazing buddy system which has virtually nipped bullying in the bud.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance