Info on Perth

DesertDaisy

We are in the process of preparing for an interview that would land our family in Perth in a few months time. We've got some questions on Perth lifestyle, cost of living etc.

1. What areas are "good" areas to live in if the job is based in the Perth metro area?

2. Is public transport good? What is available?

3. If we had to purchase a house, what would is the average house price for a 3 bedroomed, 2 bathroom place with small garden?

4. What is the cost of cars? We currently drive a Hyundai Matrix - we'd be looking at the equivilent. Smallish family car, nothing fancy.

5. What are interest rates like? Is it easy to get car/house loans?

6. What would be an average grocery bill for a family of four (2 kids under 7)?

7. What would be an average Water & Electricity bill?

Just a rough idea would be welcome. And any other hints and tips. We're trying to work out if what they are offering is actually going to be "liveable"

Hi Desertdaisy

I'll try an answer some of your questions as best as I can.

As far as which areas are good, I've found that if you are working in the Metropole, both North and South have good areas. Due to good public transport (and reliable) through trains and busses, you shouldn't have a problem getting around.

The price of houses also vary according to areas in which you live, house prices in Perth have been on the up and up lately due to the economic boom, therefore a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom can set you back anything from $300k and up.

As far as cars are concerned, it would depend if you are looking at buying new or secondhand. We have found that new cars are relatively inexpensive compared to the same cars in South Africa. A decent sized family car new will set you back round about $25 000, but they can start from as little as $18 000.

Interest rates for houses I'm not sure of, as for cars you are looking around 10%, if you shop around I've heard of people getting it as 8%.

Grocery bills are difficult, depends on what foodstuffs you like, we are a family of 4 (kids 13 and 11) and we work on $200 per week.

Our electricity bill is on average $120 per month.

Hope this helps. :)

We live North relatively close to the coast and love it there, but I know there are nice places in the South as well. The train system only runs to the North and the train is my best way of transport into the city, where I work. The trains are relatively reliable but on the occasions that there were problems everyone at work was also late because they were also taking the train so no worries!

We bought a second hand 2003 model, 65000km Toyota Corolla hatch for $ 14 000.

I think the bank offered us a mortage rate of 6.5%. I will double check and get back to you.

We are only 2 and spend about $ 100/week on groceries.

Our water is a few dollars a month, the electricity about $ 40/month and the gas $ 30. We are only billed every 3 months for the gas and electricity.

Thanks so much. As soon as we hear more, I'll probably come back with more specific questions.

Guest Colleen

Hi Desert Daisy,

Our expenses are similar to Pisces as we also have two children aged 13 and 10.

Housing has become expensive with prices $300 and more.

Public transport is fine, trains and buses run regularly with no problem.

You can look at the auction system for buying cars cheaper than in car yards.

Hope this helps

Colleen- South Africans In Perth

We are in the process of preparing for an interview that would land our family in Perth in a few months time. We've got some questions on Perth lifestyle, cost of living etc.

1. What areas are "good" areas to live in if the job is based in the Perth metro area?

2. Is public transport good? What is available?

3. If we had to purchase a house, what would is the average house price for a 3 bedroomed, 2 bathroom place with small garden?

4. What is the cost of cars? We currently drive a Hyundai Matrix - we'd be looking at the equivilent. Smallish family car, nothing fancy.

5. What are interest rates like? Is it easy to get car/house loans?

6. What would be an average grocery bill for a family of four (2 kids under 7)?

7. What would be an average Water & Electricity bill?

Just a rough idea would be welcome. And any other hints and tips. We're trying to work out if what they are offering is actually going to be "liveable"