Renting houses in NSW

LiezelM

Hi Everyone

I thought that I should post this and ask for advice.

My hubby and I are busy looking for a house in Sydney (from the Hills area through to Ryde) - very exciting and very frustrating! We go onto the Web, and to the agents' offices, we collect all the ones we like and can possibly afford, and then we look to see if they mention pets.

TRUTH: we throw 80% of all the possibilities away because they say: NO PETS. If the ad doesn't say it, we phone the agent, and ask them before we make an appointment to go look at the house or before we do an application.

We've got 3 adult, trained cats and no kids, with rental references.

Have you found the same problem as well??

At first it really upset me, then I thought, oh well, no pets - no tenants - NO RENT :ilikeit:

Hi LiezelM

I have two cats, and on two occasions I have rented. I was up front about the cats, told them that I was willing to have an extra clause added to my rental agreement that I would fix anything that my cats damaged. I also offered to have all the carpets steam cleaned when I move out. Although in both instances the ad had said 'no pets' they were happy to rent to me with those clauses added.

OK Thanks Mara! Will give that a try :blush:

Good Luck! Pussycats rule!

Hi, we rent and have pets. never really been a big problem because they got no idea how many animals we got. only 1 dog and 1 cat but we got 5 cats & 2 dogs, neighbour know but we're friends so that no problem. Inspection time they make an appointment with you, then we pack up the animals in carriers and making sure we leave the original animals behind everytime. Units/town houses normally don't like animals. Good luck with your house hunting.

My house also had a no pets clause in the contract, but I asked the agents to contact the manager and find out if I could have a couple of cats, and they agreed with no hassle. It's worth getting the agent to ask the owners - don't let them make the decision for you. Like Mara, offer to fix any damage caused as a result and you may be surprised.

Good luck!

Ajay

Thanks guys! We have been phoning them and asking them to phone the owners for us about the pets, and 80% of them never got back to us, and someone even said we should out in an application! We told him sorry, we think it's ridiculous and put the phone down :ilikeit:

We put an application int this morning on a house in Dural that we both love!! Please hold thumbs as we're getting our container next week :huh:

Thanks guys! We have been phoning them and asking them to phone the owners for us about the pets, and 80% of them never got back to us, and someone even said we should out in an application! We told him sorry, we think it's ridiculous and put the phone down :ilikeit:

We put an application int this morning on a house in Dural that we both love!! Please hold thumbs as we're getting our container next week :huh:

Think on the positive side... if they decline ... you could always drill a few holes in the container and stay in the docks for a few weeks... it comes with sea views? And all the fish the cats could wish for... :ilikeit:

We just said we'd be willing to pay a "pet bond" upfront ($100) and that was that... easy peasy.

Whatever obstacles you face today ................. I hope they can be solved this easily!!! :ilikeit:Obstacles.bmp

Edited by Pofstert

Guys, Big surprize......... wait for Liezel's next post!!!!!!!!

Ek se niks! Okay!!