Dual citizenship. - Advantages and disadvantages.

Guest Larry

Guest Larry

Recently, I noticed that my Australian passport was due to expire in September 2006. Some countries get a bit "iffy" if you try to travel there if your passport has less than 6 months' validity. I therefore decided to apply for a new passport. - That took 2 weeks!

My South African passport is due to expire about 6 months after my Australian passport. - In early 2007. I have therefore come to the time to ask myself, yet again, whether it is worthwhile retaining my South African citizenship or not.

I have no intention of ever returning to South Africa to live, but some of my retirement annuties are still there (I think!), although I did formally emigrate when I left. I also realise that if I return to South Africa for a visit and I get myself into any type of trouble, the Australian Government can do nothing for me while I am still a South African citizen.

What reasons are there for me to hang onto my South African citizenship?

Recently, I noticed that my Australian passport was due to expire in September 2006. Some countries get a bit "iffy" if you try to travel there if your passport has less than 6 months' validity. I therefore decided to apply for a new passport. - That took 2 weeks!

My South African passport is due to expire about 6 months after my Australian passport. - In early 2007. I have therefore come to the time to ask myself, yet again, whether it is worthwhile retaining my South African citizenship or not.

I have no intention of ever returning to South Africa to live, but some of my retirement annuties are still there (I think!), although I did formally emigrate when I left. I also realise that if I return to South Africa for a visit and I get myself into any type of trouble, the Australian Government can do nothing for me while I am still a South African citizen.

What reasons are there for me to hang onto my South African citizenship?

We hold dual citizenship ,and I believe my reluctance to relinquish SA Citizenship was purely sentimental.

I was 'naturalised' by the SA government in 1989 and made a South African Citizen (without my knowledge/understanding or my parents-children with a SA parent that moved back to SA were simply 'naturalised' without applying). I retained my Norwegian passport/citizenship.

For years it was never a problem, just had to pay for the various 'letters of permission' from the SA government but since my return to SA in 2002 I have had to have a SA passport asking 'permission' to keep my Norwegian citizenship etc etc etc. I need not tell you about the delays within homeaffairs with regard to passports for most of us :angry: .

I find that being a SA citizen with a SA passport has become a complete nuisance <_< ! Especially since one constantly has to keep up with the change of legislation and is frequently reminded that one may not 'use one's foreign nationality to ones advantage whilst living in SA'. What on earth does that mean? Let me tell you one thing that I have discovered:

- Under Norwegian law I am entitled to a Norwegian Schoolarship and studyloan even if I am living in SA/overseas!

-According to SA law I am not allowed to take a foreign study loan without permission! Even if I intend studying at a SA University and bringing all the money into SA. We are talking about a nice amount of money here that could really make a difference. And if I have done it without 'permission I get fined and ,,,, (wait for it) put in jail (and can lose my SA citizenship) :whome:

In my mind it is quite clear. Having a SA passport has become a restriction in my life- I don't like that. Thus,I see no point in keeping my SA passport/citizenship. What benefits does being a SA citizen have?-one has to apply for visa's all the time!! It's irritating-I've never had to do that before :whome: (when you are not used to it, it's an issue)

If I want to visit SA-I will pay for a visa.

If I want to live in SA-I will reapply for PR or citizenship-stuff this!

For now.......I'm simply irritated with the restrictions it is imposing on my life.

Phew..... that feels good. I really vented my anger there. Just having a moment with home affairs-just ignore me people. I'll recover as soon as I receive my ID, my husband passport, my son's passport etc etc etc