What do you do without furniture?

Mikej

Our move is getting closer and with that the planning is looking shaky.

Where do you live until the furniture arrives? The agents I have been in contact with want at least a 6 month lease for a furnished place. We dont want this because our furniture will arrive after about 6 weeks. The short term accomodation are holiday places and quite expensive. Renting an unfurnished place for 6 weeks with 2 children and no furniture, cutlery, crockery, beds etc seems a stretch.

Please help, what did you guys do? Where did you stay for the first 2 months?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

I searched on the internet and found us a small affordable holiday flat for two months in Brisbane. It was only 2 bedrooms with one bathroom, but very modern and across the river from the city with beautiful views. We were very cramped but since it was only for a short while didn't mind to much. In which city are you looking?

Cheers,

NAOMI

Hi Naomi

We are going to Albany a small town in WA.

I think you are right I must keep looking, there must be something for us.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Mike

We sent our furniture ahead of time as it was easier staying in RSA without furniture than coming to a new country with none. We didn't send everything, so were still able to make do with the bits and pieces we weren't taking. Our container arrived shortly after we did. But, we were also fortunate enough to stay with friends in the interim. I would suggest you send your container as soon as you possibly can.

Good luck with your final planning!

Pam

Hi Mike

It's not always easy, but I think most of us 'camped' for 6 weeks. With a quick trip to Kmart/Target, buying their budget line, and you can pick up basic kitchen goodies fairly reasonably. Garage sales can help you find some really cheap furniture to get you going - if you drive around on weekend mornings you should spot a few.

If you're coming to Brisbane send me a PM, we'd be happy to lend you some things until your container arrives.

Clare

Hi Mikej

The only suggestion I can offer is to make contact with any caravan parks in the area (go to "google.com" and type in caravan parks albany western australia) they all have furnished chalets. Ask if they offer discounts for long term stays, they often do. This may be the cheapest option and you can select your length of stay.

I'm not sure if this is available everywhere but you can also hire furniture and appliances for the interim.

Have a look at

http://www.livingedgerental.com.au/

http://www.compleatinteriors.com.au/

http://www.pabs.com.au/

http://www.phdrentals.com.au/

Hi MikeJ,

The caravan parks Mara suggested is an excellent option, especially if you have children. The caravan parks also have stationary caravans and some even with ensuite bathrooms. The play parks in the caravan parks are excellent for the kids, very safe and will certainly give them enough space to enjoy themselves.

I have found these places in Albany: one. two, three. I have also found this one which has caravan parks and also budget accommodation four.

SAS

Hi Mike

I sent our furnitur ahead of us we then stayed with friends and relatives this gave us a chance to say goodbye properly and then had a short holiday, I went ahead on my own and found a rental place container qarrived I unpacked and my wife and kids arrived to a organised place it made the move so much easier, the down side is that once my wife arrived i did have to rea arrange the furniture to her liking but that always happens in any move .

Good Luck

Albany is a stunning place

This is such wonderful website.

Thanks for all the advice and offers of help, it is inciteful to hear how everyone handled this issue and will undoubtedly help us find our solution.

Many thanks

Michael

Ons het vir 6 weker op opblaasmatrasse in slaapsakke geslaap met net 'n tweedehandse hifi wat op die vloer gestaan het. Het uit blikborde geeet met goedkoop eetgerei, kos wat ons in ons een pan gekook het. Ons landlord het darem vir ons 'n ketel en 'n strykyster gelos. :oops: Ons het die mees ongelooflik herinneringe van daai tyd - sal dit nooit vergeet nie. My kinders was toe 3 en 7. :lol:

Guest Bronwyn

We did not pack our matresses in our container and so when we got to Adelaide we went and bought new matresses and also a sleeping bag for each of us at Kmart :whome:

When we rented our house we had the matresses on the floor with the sleeping bags, and we brought a picnic set on the plane with 4 plates, cups, knives & forks etc. We had swimmng towels from our cases. We bought one pot and Annette lent us some more pots.

Then some people came over from across the road to say hello to us, and saw how we were camping, they insisted on lending us an old table with 4 chairs from their garage, and the TV from their bedroom! The next thing I saw was my husband and the next door neighbour carrying the furniture over the road!

Andri on the forum also lent us a small but powerful little bar fridge which they brought over in their ute, and some glases, tupperware and a kettle from their office.

All the bits & pieces together tided us over very well. It was so nice that people were so kind and really tried to help out although we didn't expect it at all.

We lived like that for a few weeks, but it was fun. I think the biggest thing is a fridge. If you can hire or borrow a small fridge you will be ok for the rest, but if you don't have one you will end up spending a fortune on food.

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

You can do what most students do when they move out of home for the first time . They pop into Vinnies ( Vincent de Paul) http://www.vinnies.org.au/findlocation.cfm?nocache=934457 and buy second hand cutlery & glasses and plates etc. for next to nothing.

I was at Macquarie Uni on Sunday just handing back some library books. There were notices against the wall were uni students were just selling off some of their furniture, like mattresses and chairs etc. A lot of the foreign students have good quality furniture. You can also have a look on www.gumtree.com.au people sell second hand furniture on the webpage.

Edited by sonnetjie

When we moved to the US we were also camping inside our rented house. Was great fun, we had mattresses and sleeping bags for a while until we opted to rent some furniture. My mom really enjoyed it, much less to clean I think! We kept joking about our minimalist interior. :ilikeit:

We also have some great family memories of that time.

Don't worry Michael, things will work out, I'm sure.

Good luck with your final arrangements!

Michele

Guest colton

Mikej,

You really got some good advice here. :ilikeit: We were fortunate not to be in that situation as the company had hired us a fully furnished house for 6 months but our furniture was sent ahead of time and arrived 3 weeks after we landed so we moved to our own place anyway. What I do want to mention is how kind, helpful and trusting total strangers are this side.

My hubby was given a car for work as soon as we arrived but I, who had to ferry kids around and do all the usual things was carless. The third day we were here the neighbour across the road, total stranger to us, gave me a lift as I was walking home from the supermarket and was horrified to hear I didn't have my own transport as yet. "No worries mate", then and there he offered to lend me his daughters car, she was traveling overseas, for as long as I wanted. He brought the keys straight over and I used her car for a couple of weeks till I got my own. Not once did he come and check on the car or ask for payment or a deposit or anything. After that experience I KNEW I was where I wanted to be. :unsure:

You gotta love this country and the people!

Furniture and electronics are pretty cheap to come by if you know where to go, I'd even bargain and say for a couple (no kids) it was worth it for us to come here with no furniture, and just buy stuff from scratch!

Mikej,

You really got some good advice here. :unsure: We were fortunate not to be in that situation as the company had hired us a fully furnished house for 6 months but our furniture was sent ahead of time and arrived 3 weeks after we landed so we moved to our own place anyway. What I do want to mention is how kind, helpful and trusting total strangers are this side.

My hubby was given a car for work as soon as we arrived but I, who had to ferry kids around and do all the usual things was carless. The third day we were here the neighbour across the road, total stranger to us, gave me a lift as I was walking home from the supermarket and was horrified to hear I didn't have my own transport as yet. "No worries mate", then and there he offered to lend me his daughters car, she was traveling overseas, for as long as I wanted. He brought the keys straight over and I used her car for a couple of weeks till I got my own. Not once did he come and check on the car or ask for payment or a deposit or anything. After that experience I KNEW I was where I wanted to be. :blush:

You gotta love this country and the people!

I hired furniture - the basics for two months - couch, tv,fridge, washing machine and 4 beds - bought my oldest son a double bed which I used and borrowed cups, plates etc.. I think the st Vinnies, salvation army idea is pretty good for crockery cutlery etc... but you manage .... the company I hired from was owned by a South African so I had brand new beds delivered, brand new fridge etc - once my furniture arrived I returned the goods but was still in credit so hung onto the fridge and tv as I had not brought mine with me until my credit was up ...so it worked well...

company was called Rentals to go.

Heather

Hi Michael,

We sold all our assets before setting off to Oz. We were fortunate that we could stay with friends during the first three weeks, then found a 3 bedroom house to rent, unfirnished nogal. Expats in Canberra got us started with some basices & the rest we obtained from the weekly garage sales held in Canberra. Yes, we did furnish our home from garage sales at a fraction of the normal cost. It was a novel way of getting to know Canberra and the people who inhabit the city. Good luck with your planning.

Kind Regards,

Hi,

I can vouch for the garage sales! I am an addict. I love getting up early on a Saturday morning, and go around town, rummaging around. You get to know the area, meet new people, and oh, yes - you can pick up real bargains too :lol:

Greetings,

Dreamy