After eight weeks in Adelaide

jaxmvr

Hi everyone

I know that we were very scarce since we arrived in Aus, but it has been a hectic 8 weeks. The children have settled in nicely in their schools. Xander (the oldest) is going to Athelstone Pre Primary and he is coping well. He is in reception and I feel that coming from an Afrikaans background, not reading at all in South Africa (he knows the letters, but let me tell you, phonics this side is a lot different than "klank" in Afrikaans), he is actually doing well. Marko is in Child Care two days a week (as we needed time to look for work) and four days a week he goes to kindergarten for 3 hours in the afternoon. Both the children loves "Show and tell" and everyweek a lot of "planning" goes into this activity. For those of you who do not know what show and tell is....it is a weekly activity where the child brings something from home (toys or other things - Xander took a street directory this week) and then tells the class about the object. They love it!

Ok, other than that we had a few obstacles along the road:

1. South Australia does not accept Jaco's paramedical qualifications and he needs to do 2 full years at university (which we cannot afford)

2. It took them a whole four weeks to tell him this and in those four weeks I did not look for work. So we had to start over.

The good news is that I have found work since and I start on Monday. Jaco had a few other interviews and we are waiting for them to come back to us. In the meantime he did some odd jobs here and there.

We are settled in at Church and we enjoy it there. The children loves kids church in the mornings and we also have small groups where we have bible study.

We rent a house from another forumite and stay next door to them. They are angels sent from heaven and helped a lot with all the adjustments.

Adjustments:

1. My brother in law died when we were here only two weeks. That was very difficult for me as I wish I could be there for my sister. I feel much better now, but it still feels very unreal.

2. The fact that Jaco battles to get work is a worry for us. We know that it will sort itself out but it still is a worry.

3. The rain in winter. (Although the children are much more healthier with this climate)

I can surely say that we love Australia and Adelaide but for all of you that still have to arrive here, it is not just honeymoon and roses. Some days are difficult and you do miss your family very much and sometimes you think that in South Africa you at least had a job, owned a house etc etc. But when you feel like that, talk to someone. Reach out to someone on the forum and talk, talk, talk. They have been through those feelings as well and they know exactly what you are going through. And then also just remember the nights you were scared at home etc etc.

Today is a good day for me and even when I reach a low, I know that going back is not an option at all.

Australians are very friendly and helpfull. They say "no worries" an awfull lot and the news on TV is very funny (it is big news if they look for youths that "again" did some grafiti on walls). At least they report on these things and the system works here.

We went for our driver licences on a Sunday afternoon.

We honestly have not done a lot of sightseeing out of Adelaide yet (It costs petrol and untill we have earned some Aussie dollars we need to cut down on a lot).

I hate the ironing, but Jaco helps with the house and the children pick up their own toys, make their own beds (although it is not perfect - they only 4 and 5 years old) and help with dusting and they mow the lawn with a little hand lawnmower.

What I love is that we can walk in the street without looking over my shoulder the whole time. Leave the front door open. Greet the people next door or in town. People know that a roundabout (circle) is not a four way stop. Tim tams. Tea Tree Plaza. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. People are friendly - a lot. You often see people smile at you. I love that.

That's all from us for now. Will post another one in a few weeks.

Hello jaxmvr

Thanks for that, an interesting posting. I always compare my experiences and thoughts on settling in with other peoples thoughts. It seems many of us go through the same thought processes...

Good to hear things are starting to look good for you, and I hope your husband finds work soon. Sometime soon when all is settled and you're more used to things, you'll soon realise that the tough times are worth it.

All the best,

Hi jaxmvr,

Welcome in Adelaide, the place to be. (As they say on tv)

I spoke to another lady last night and she said to me that the first two years in your new country is as if you are in mourning........for you own country and your own kind. But then it all get so much better. She is here from Durban, in her 14th year and over happy! Hang in there, everything will be better, eventualy. :D

Greetings

Betsy

hi jong ek wil ook net welkom se...dit darm maar wonderlik hoe die tyd vlieg as jy eers geland... laat weet net as jy iets wil weet of nie seker is oor iets nie... :P

Guest colton

Welcome to Australia. You seem to have had a bit of a rough time, especially with hubby not having a job. :P You are taking it in your stride and its a good thing you can still see the "up" side. Things can only get better from here on. Has he tried looking in the other states for work or is it the same problem? I know they are very short of paramedics here in Queensland. Good luck!