debbieD: Hullo to all the Aussie SAfricans

debbieD

Hi! My name is Debbie, and I am one of the hosts on the SACanada forum. Just introducing myself, and hoping all you folk down under enjoy the forum as much as we do in Canada. :rolleyes:

I would love to hear about life in Australia, how y'all decided on emigrating there, and the process you had to go through to get there. :D

Hi Guys

Thanx fro making us feel welcome already....I am sure with expert advise from you guys we cannot go wrong. :rolleyes:

hi there

Thanks and welcome to you too! :rolleyes:

We are still in the process of moving to oz, our 457 visa (4year temp visa) still needs to be approved, but we will probably be in Cairns by April. So we don't have that long to wait.

Hi Debbie! Glad to see you "visiting" our new forum! Where in Canada are you? I have a cousin in Calgary - we visited there in 2000 (I think - can't remember the year, could be 2001...) Anyway, we visited in the heart of winter and we LOVED it! It's like a storybook picture! We went to Banff for a weekend and skiing at Sunshine Village. Although we decided to relocate to Australia instead, I'm definitely going back to Canada to visit - it was unforgettable!

Thanks for your post - hope to see you around again...

Hi Riekie! We lived in Calgary for 6 years, and have just moved to Vancouver Island, in a small city called Nanaimo. Here is a pic of the little harbour there. It's not bad here, but it does rain a lot, and I am somewhat missing Calgary's winter sunshine. How do you find living in Sydney?

post-9-1139348230.jpg

Hi there!

Sydney is a big & busy city. If the rat race is not for you, then Sydney might be a bit overwhelming - however, life in the suburbs (where we live) is a lot more laid back and family friendly. It is also not as expensive as living in the city or at the beach. I think of all the major cities in Australia, Sydney is the most expensive in many ways. That said, we are very happy here and have a good life, even on a single income. Australia is a lovely country and we will have exotic and unique holidays for the rest of our lives without having to go to another country - it is so huge, it will take forever to explore everything!