1 month to go

Joeemm

Hi guys

Well we're down to just about a month to go and I have to admit I'm getting a bit nervous, seems we have things fairly well planned. But then we move our moving out date forward to next week as a result all the cleaning etc has had to happen ASAP. Sheez I never knew so much dirt could just sort of accumulate on stuff.

And our cats are now desperately seeking a new home (any suggestions???) We also are now second guessing whether we should ship immediately giving us about 4 weeks to find a place once we arrive, or wait two weeks and have 6 weeks. What do people think? I know customs in Oz was having some issues which caused a backlog, but not sure how much this affected Perth.

Also, I wonder if anyone knows how sticky they are re. software on PC's I have a work supplied copy of some software on my machine, but no actual disk to prove I bought it :-( I'm sending the pc unaccompanied does anyone think I may have a problem?

Looking forward to end of May :-)

Joseph

Good Luck!

Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions, its just that I got soooo excited for you that I had to jump in and say all the best and I hope everything goes smoothly. I think you'll find that time just telescopes and next thing you know "bang" and you're there. I'm thinking of you and wishing you "bon voyage"

Hope someone can answer your questions

Cindylou

Hi there

You shouldn't have any problems with the pc, we shipped over 4 pc'son the container with a whole lot of cd-r discs and blank discs and they didn't ask anything. They also did not check the pc's. Though make sure your packing company packs them properly and transports them decently, would suggest you take out extra insurance on it.

Hi there Joeemm :lol:

I'll cannot give you any definitive answers, but I can tell you about of my own experience. We shipped with Pickfords, and they had all kinds of hassles and holdups, and we waited 11 weeks for our shipment. It stood in Perth for almost 5 weeks, although we had nothing "funny" in our shipment. This was over the Christmas and New Year seasons, so it could have had an impact.

We were scared out of our wits by the shipment agent, telling us not to take illegal software, and lots of other things. That caused me to leave behind many things that I should have brought with me. Not illegal stuff, just things like my crystals and some wood furniture that were actually fine. We only found that out when we got here! :blink: They did not open my software or CD boxes, which were clearly marked as such. They did open boxes marked Tools, sports equipment and shoes.

They told me that customs would wipe my harddrive for my Windows was unlicensed. So I packed my HDD in my suitcase, in a metal CD case. Nowhere, ever was I asked to take it out, or even asked to take the case out of my suitcase. It arrived here unharmed. phew.. what a relief I had no time to make backups before we left.

We were also told that our shoes would be destroyed if so much as a speck of dirt was found on it. We scrubbed our fingers blue, and left a lot of good shoes behind. When we went through customs in Perth, they opened our shoe bag, because it had a pair of steel capped boots in it. We were terrified. I started explaining that we had really tried hard to scrub them very clean, when the customs guy smiled at me very friendly, and said that the boots were fine. What they are looking for, are people bringing in shoes with clumps of mud and dirt still stuck to it. A bit of dust was "No worries, mate!"

What I am actually trying to say, is that customs are not monsters out to get you. They are pretty reasonable, but they do adhere to their rules, and there are no exceptions made on them. So just make sure that you don't knowingly infringe any major laws, like bringing in feathers or animal material, and for the rest, just look helpless, and declare if you are not sure.

Good luck with the last stretch, it is quite an emotional time.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the good wishes and reassurances, I know one never quite knows what will happen on the Australian side, but I'm actually fairly sure we are a very simple move as moves go.

chat soon

Joseph