Public transport, whats it like?

Johann-Heinrich

Hi, in anticipation of our move to Sydney in a month and a half's time I'm looking at areas where to rent etc. I'm just wondering what is Public transport like in Sydney?

Are the trains and busses on time?

Are they clean?

Can one rely on them at night after going to town for a concert or something?

According to this: http://www.livingin-australia.com/sydney-transport.htm

People in Sydney complain about the trains etc. Is this because they don't have anything else to complain about or is it well founded complaints?

Thanks

Johann-Heinrich

Johann

We don't live in Sydney but in Brissie the trains are clean and on time. Haven't yet done the bus thing but from reports they are the same.

My daughter and her hubby was in Sydney in 2004 and she found public transport amazing!!! She even went to a late night movie and went home alone no worries.

You'll be allright

Nilo

Hi, in anticipation of our move to Sydney in a month and a half's time I'm looking at areas where to rent etc. I'm just wondering what is Public transport like in Sydney?

excellent

Are the trains and busses on time?

Are they clean?

yes and yes. Sometimes there are railway maintenance over weekends and the trains on those specific lines don't run. However they are then being replaced by bus services. You'll find all the Cityrail info at http://www.cityrail.com.au or use http://www.131500.info to plan your "From-and-To" trips.

Can one rely on them at night after going to town for a concert or something?

most definitely! the trains run until after midnight, but not all the buses in the suburbs. then you just catch a taxi.

According to this: http://www.livingin-australia.com/sydney-transport.htm

People in Sydney complain about the trains etc. Is this because they don't have anything else to complain about or is it well founded complaints?

The Aussies really complain about petty things as far as I am concerned!

During our first month in Sydney, we only used public transport and went everywhere, all hours! The trains are always clean, but sometimes you'll have graffiti scratched into the window glass or spray-painted on the outside of the trains (this is regularly cleaned up, although the glass can not be cleaned until replaced.....). The trains are reliable, mostly on time (when late - not hours, but minutes...)

Every train has a safety carriage which is next to the driver cabin if you travel late at night and feel unsafe for any reason (overwhelmed by RSA paranoia - been there, done that! :lol: ) Most stations have a safety area which is monitored by security cameras, so when you wait for a train, you can stand in these marked areas and know you're being watched. :ph34r:

The trains don't have bins (for security/anti-terrorism reasons) so everyone takes their rubbish with them when they leave - with a few exceptions. If you find an unclean carriage, there is a number you can dial and they'll come clean it up. Some of the older trains look old & used, but they are still clean & safe.

I've posted a train network map for Sydney (somewhere on the forum) from which you can plan your accommodation close to where you'll need to travel. Unfortunately, due to rapid growth of the area, the Norwest region does not have a train network and will only get one in 2012 (although they frequently change the date....) They do have a bus network and a bullet bus into the city if you need to commute to work.

All in all I find the public transport system in Sydney safe & reliable. :ilikeit:

What do you guys pay for the transport?

In Adelaide tickets cost - $4,10 for adult non concession. $2.10 concession.

What do you guys pay for the transport?

In Adelaide tickets cost - $4,10 for adult non concession. $2.10 concession.

it depends whether you use bus or train and how far you travel. From Gordon station to Sydney CBD and back (day return) costs me $5, it's about 30 minutes each direction.

I use the Northern Line train service from Pennant Hills to West Ryde station and back every day. The trains are on time within say 5 minutes. The timetables gives the time for the train departing...meaning that the train normally arrives 2-3 minutes early and then departs to within 1-2 minutes of the time. There are trains every 15 minutes all through the day. This gives me enough of a safety net...I can take the 7h36 bus and normally arrive before 8h00 so that I can take the 8h00 train, but the buses also gets trapped in traffic (as opposed to the trains) and I would miss the 8h00 train about twice a week and I would then simply get on the 8h16 train or even the 8h30 train. As I only have to be at work at 9h00 I can even take the 8h45 train and still arrive around 9h00. The busses in the hills are not as on time as the trains....you have to give leeway of about 5-8 minutes before or 4 minutes after the bus timetables - but this is not the bus company's fault - it is because of the traffic. On some days Castle Hill road which later flows into the Cumberland Highway) is quiet and just the next day the cars are bumper to bumper. I used to get the 8h15 bus and still be on time for the 8h30 train on the station, but since the schools started again, that bus takes more than 20 minutes and then I am too late for the 8h30 train and eventually have to take the 8h45 train. But --- all in all, it it much better using public transport than having to maintain 2 cars, paying licensing fees and having stress of driving every day. I just sit back, watch the people and listen to Steve Hofmeyr on my Ipod....No worries mate!

From Gordon station to Sydney CBD and back (day return) costs me $5, it's about 30 minutes each direction.

It is probably worth mentioning that is an "off-peak return" fare (generally, that means you can't start your journey before 9am on a weekday). Otherwise the return fare would be $7.20, which is simply double the single fare.

There is a fare calculator for Sydney trains, buses and ferries, at the previously mentioned http://www.131500.info/ web site. In case you are wondering, the name of that web site is derived from the telephone number for public transport information.