Skype, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger

Trapsuutjie

I would like to know what you think works the best for webcam conversations:

Skype, MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, or is there anything else that someone could perhaps recommend.

I want to set up a webcam for my parents before I leave and plan to use I-burst on their side, and whatever is available in Melbourne.

Any tips and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Trapsuutjie.

Hi There

Skype works the best for us, parents are BBC (Born Before Computers) and they can manage it also the spead is good.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hello from SACanada!

In my experience, Skype is by far superior. Remember though that the family in SA would need ADSL in order to make this a painless experience.

Sometimes dial-up is sufficient, but mostly it does not h ave enough bandwidth for either voice or video.

Edited by marli

Hi there!

My folks in not so BBC and dad is quit clued up. He got one of these new cell phone contracts, 3G or something. Sometimes his speed is much better than mine, which is on broadband.

Anyway we tried Skype, but he had a endless struggle with settings and especially getting the camera to work. We thus changed to MSM messenger and did not look back!

I would not advise on using dial-up when using a camera and voice, it is not sufficient!

Good luck!

D :ilikeit:

Skype is what keeps our grannies in touch with their grandchild. Do not know if me and the wife features on the priority list. Had issues with my brother-in-law and skype on the 3G phone so I would not recoomend that, but using good old cable (+-8000kbps)here in Melbourne and connecting to the adsl lines in SA seems to work very good and the controls are easy to manage.

I did install Skype yesterday. It is working fine, and it seems easy enough to operate. I am going to try MSN messenger as well for a backup.

Thanks for the replies.

• 2 months later...

ANy indication on cost for this in Aus would be appreciated. Should i buy PC here and take along or get everything there? What is the cost of internet access in Sydney? Much appreciated. :ilikeit:

Should i buy PC here and take along or get everything there? What is the cost of internet access in Sydney?

If you already have a reasonable PC you might as well bring it.

I pay $40 per month for internet access. But, of course, it depends, your mileage may vary, and how long is a piece of string?

Take a look here for a good idea of what is available:

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Young people (like me) love using Msn. In fact, im an Msn junky. It hs everything i need. I have my Msn open 24/7

* Tabbed Chatting (already available in Messenger plus).

* Dashboard/sidebar technology

o Dock to desktop option

o Float, minimize to side and smart resize

* Pull away (rippable) parts

o User-customizable layout

o Multiple bar parts available, including: My Contact Card, Contact list, Tabs, RSS/Subscription info, File sharing info, Ads, Slideshow.

o Premium bar parts: Encarta, Money, MSN Radio Plus

o Other bar parts: Search, Radio, Headline, Weather, Traffic, Alerts, Stocks, WMP

Great thing about msn is that you dont need to install the Client. Msn messenger also has a web based client. This means that you can just hop onto the web messenger website and sigh in. (Great if your on the road).

WebMessneger is a brand-new service that allows people to send you messages from the web to MSN Messenger. You can redirect people to your personal Send Message page, or create your own Send Message page on your blog or personal website. You can even send a member a message when he or she is offline - your message will be delivered as soon as the recipient gets online!

By far Msn wins the battle when it comes to instant messaging communication. (personal opinion)

Fred,

Jy's obviously in IT want die tannie het nie 'n cooking clue waarvan jy praat nie. Ek gebruik wel MSN van tyd tot tyd.

Ons is mal oor Skype dis net in SA is die spoed so stadig mens sukkel partykeer met die klank.

Ek het gehoor daar is Voipe of so iets ook.

Lol tannie,

Voip is Voice over Internet Protocol. Dis hoe n mens op skype en Msn praat. Jou stem gaan deur die internet in plaas van n telefoon lyn.

Lol ek, my ma en pa praat soms in die aande almal om msn. My ma in die kombuis, my pa in die study en ek in my kamer. Soms kry ek my ma jammer met al ons IT ouens in die huis. lol

If it helps, I've found that anything less than 512k (like hellskum's 384k offering) doesn't do very well for voice AND webcam.

384 works just fine for voice, and if the person at the other end has a higher speed connection, you can see them and use it happily, but if you have a webcam too, I've found that using it so that the people at the other end can see you degrades the voice so badly it's unusable.

Obviously related to the fact that 384k does NOT give one 384k in both directions :)

If you're using HSDPA or iBurst, it won't be a problem tho! :unsure:

• 7 months later...

I guess as internet speeds get faster and faster over time, it won't be a drama in years to come to just see others on full screen without any stutters and breaks.

At the moment, it's a bit stuttery and sometimes I lose the what the other person's saying with my video camera on at the same time.

I have wireless internet connection thro' Telstra.

Hi Trapsuutjie

Jy't reeds al die antwoorde hierbo maar ek gaan maar net my 2c bysit. Persoonlik hou ek niks van Telscum nie. Hulle is letterlik die duurste in die wereld (of baie naby - geen jokes of exaggeration nie!). Gaan lees gerus van die artikels op www.mybroadband.co.za dan sal jy sien waarvan ek praat. Ek het 'n Vodacom 3G/HSDPA broadband modem. Dit werk fantasties vir my behoeftes - gewoonlik net web browsing, email, apps af te laai en so af en toe 'n youtube videotjie. Hulle is ook goedkoper as Telkom - genuine. Gaan vergelyk maar die pryse.

Ongelukkig sal ek agter nog steeds Telkom se ADSL aanbeveel vir Skype. Dit bly maar op die ou end die beste. 'n Fisiese kabel na jou huis is nog steeds beter as wireless (soos Iburst, Vodacomof MTN). Met die wireless produkte het jy egter die probleem van "network latency". As jy web browsing en emails aflaai dan sal jy nie eers weet dis daar nie. Vir "real time" applications soos Skype werk wireless ongelukkig nie altyd goed nie. Daar was kere wat my 3G konneksie puik gewerk het en ander kere dan kon ek skaars die ander persoon hoor. Dis soms vreeslik hakkerig.

Ek wil nie slim probeer klink nie maar ek sal wegbly van Iburst af. Hulle is soos die Telkom version van wireless. Daar is ook probleme as jy ver van 'n toring af is en die sein is swak. Hoe swakker die sein hoe stadiger die spoed en hoe swakker sal Skype werk. Die regtig nie die moeite werd nie. Ek weet Iburst en Voxtelecom het ook hulle eie VOIP produkte (wat goedkoper is as Telkom) maar ek dink nie jy kan dan 'n webcam opkoppel nie. Soos ek se, dis regtig nie die moeite werd nie.

Groetnis

Jimmy

Hi

ons het al 'n paar keer geskyp met ons 3g en geen probleme nie.

Groete

M