Getting driver's licence in NSW

LiezelM

Hi Everyone

I haven't seen this on my forum myself, so apologies if I'm repeating this. Ok, when you get to Oz, you have to redo your driver's licence. First you need to do a theory test, and then do the road test. You can drive around for 3 months on your SA licence, doesn't matter which visa you're on. Here is the info we got from the RTA (Road Traffic Authority) of Australia (like the licencing department, but 100mill times better!):

- You need to present a valid SA drivers license that shows you've been driving for >= 3 years. If you cannot produce this we need to follow the normal procedure to obtain a license (IOW - L & P plates, etc. This means you have to redo your learners and everything, more steps to go through here in Oz).

- You make a booking (via phone, Internet or going to the RTA) for the DKT (theory test)($35).

- If you pass: make a booking (via phone, Internet or going to the RTA) for the driving test ($43)

- If you pass: You have the following license options: 1 year ($45), 3 years ($106), 5 years ($142)

I hope this helps. REALLY cool that you can do all the bookings online - oh and you can go write on a Saturday as well :)

Good luck! We still have to do ours...

Liezel

Hi Everyone

I haven't seen this on my forum myself, so apologies if I'm repeating this. Ok, when you get to Oz, you have to redo your driver's licence. First you need to do a theory test, and then do the road test. You can drive around for 3 months on your SA licence, doesn't matter which visa you're on. Here is the info we got from the RTA (Road Traffic Authority) of Australia (like the licencing department, but 100mill times better!):

- You need to present a valid SA drivers license that shows you've been driving for >= 3 years. If you cannot produce this we need to follow the normal procedure to obtain a license (IOW - L & P plates, etc. This means you have to redo your learners and everything, more steps to go through here in Oz).

- You make a booking (via phone, Internet or going to the RTA) for the DKT (theory test)($35).

- If you pass: make a booking (via phone, Internet or going to the RTA) for the driving test ($43)

- If you pass: You have the following license options: 1 year ($45), 3 years ($106), 5 years ($142)

I hope this helps. REALLY cool that you can do all the bookings online - oh and you can go write on a Saturday as well :)

Liezel

thanks Liezel

I also need to do mine asap, been here already for 5months

Cheers

Thanks for the info

Can you not also apply for an international drivers licence while still in South Africa.... not sure how long that is valid for.

I had one in the UK which was valid for 1 year, but that was 7 years ago.

when you get to Oz, you have to redo your driver's licence.

only if you have PR visa, is it compulsory that you get your Aussie driver's licence within 3 months after arrival.

First you need to do a theory test, and then do the road test.

Theory = Driver Knowledge Test ($35 in NSW)

Road Test = Driving Test ($43 in NSW)

but only if you have had your SA driving licence for more than 3 years. Otherwise you need to go through the usual L, P1 and P2 plates (depending on how long you've had your S.A. licence)

You can drive around for 3 months on your SA licence, doesn't matter which visa you're on.

the 3 months limit is only applicable to PR visa.

Here is the info we got from the RTA (Road Traffic Authority) of Australia (like the licencing department, but 100mill times better!):

each state has its own licencing authority, i.e. NSW or VIC or QLD or WA or SA or NT or ACT or TAS.

correct, but check with your local state.

Can you not also apply for an international drivers licence while still in South Africa....

you can, but if you come on PR visa, you MUST get your local Aussie state licence within 3 months after your arrival. Example - if you arrive in Sydney on 1 January 2008 on a PR visa, you can only drive on your South African licence until 31 March 2008. From 1 April 2008, you will only be allowed to drive on your NSW licence.

Woohoo! Passed the test and got my NSW Driver licence today! Now I have official Aussie I.D.

:ilikeit:

Congratulations!!!! :ilikeit:

Hi Springbok,

Woohoo! Passed the test and got my NSW Driver licence today! Now I have official Aussie I.D.

:ilikeit:

Congratulations on your drivers' licence! How was it?

Happy Celebrating!

Bye, Pippa! X

Congratulations on your drivers' licence! How was it?

It was easy! I highly recommend going for at least 1 lesson with a driving school in the same area that you will have your driving test. The instructor at my driving school knew the area very well and pointed out to me what to watch out for during the actual driving test. Most of it silly little things that one tend to forget after 15 years of driving. So pay attention to these:

SIGNAL and WAIT 5s before leaving the kerb or parking space;

Stay within the speed limits – e.g. 50km/h or 70km/h;

SIGNAL when exiting a roundabout;

Exit in the correct lane(s);

Do not cut corners or continuous lines when turning right or left;

Do a proper Reverse Parallel Park (4 moves allowed);

Always check your blind spots when changing lanes, reversing, overtaking, etc.;

Do a proper 3-point turn, using signals, observing traffic and checking blindspots;

Keep 3s following distance behind other cars;

Keep steering wheel straight while waiting to turn at intersections

Hi Liezel

I would just like to inform everyone that if you are here in NSW on a temporary visa, you do not need to do your NSW licence within the first 3 months. It is only when you settle down and you do your Permanent Residency.

Regards

KZNAussie :ilikeit:

Hi Everyone

I hope this helps. REALLY cool that you can do all the bookings online - oh and you can go write on a Saturday as well ;)

Liezel

Ok cool guys thanks!!! For some reason I thought it was on a 457 visa as well. In that case, we'll do it once my hubby has a job - as it is quite pricey with all the tests, licences and driving school costs.

Sigh, I would be pretty lost without this forum :ilikeit:

Hi all

If coming over on LSD trip, visiting South Australia and Victoria, will my South African driver's licence suffice for hiring cars and driving around, or will I need an International Driver's licence ?

Regards,

Scott

Yes, car rental companies accepts your RSA licence. To be safe get your international license, it is about R50 and take 5min (bring your RSA lic, ID/passport and photos) at any AA office in RSA. You don't need to do tests for international licence, it involves only paperwork.

Edited by Survival

Yes, car rental companies accepts your RSA licence. To be safe get your international license, it is about R50 and take 5min (bring your RSA lic, ID/passport and photos) at any AA office in RSA. You don't need to do tests for international licence, it involves only paperwork.

I noticed on the AA website that the :offtopic: fee is R110-00. Must have gone up. ;)

:D

Uitstekend!! Baie baie geluk!!

(Ek het Vrydag saam met my vriendin gegaan, sy moes vir haar liksens gaan. Was skoon benoud vir haar part. Moet sê, die toets beamptes het vriendelik voorgekom.)

Lekker rondrits Springbok!

Groete

Tania

Lekker rondrits Springbok!

niks van daai luukshede terwyl ek nog werkloos is nie! :D het in elk geval nie 'n kar in die stad nodig waar ek gaan bly nie. Die lisensie help net baie vir I.D. doeleindes....

Hi,

If Australian car rental companies accept my RSA drivers licence then why do I need to get the international driver's licence - or does this differ from state to state ?

Regards,

Scott

Hey Springbok

Please could you post the details of the driving school you used?

Thanks

Robyn

Hey Springbok

Please could you post the details of the driving school you used?

Thanks

Robyn

www.royaldrivingschool.com.au

Hi,

If Australian car rental companies accept my RSA drivers licence then why do I need to get the international driver's licence - or does this differ from state to state ?

Regards,

Scott

We got International licences before coming but once here realised that South African is OK.

I really dont think it is worth it. If you are PR you have 3 mnths to get Australian licence anyway, so rather just do that as soon as possible.

Many delay it and then get fined becuase they go over the 3 months.

i did however use my International licence as a picture ID here for a while

If you are PR you have 3 mnths to get Australian licence anyway, so rather just do that as soon as possible.

Many delay it and then get fined becuase they go over the 3 months.

Hi,

That's 3 months after you relocate surely, not 3 months after your first entry trip ?

Regards,

Scott

Hi,

That's 3 months after you relocate surely, not 3 months after your first entry trip ?

Regards,

Scott

Correct - on your incoming passenger card you have to specify whether you are A] migrating to Australia permanently, or B] visitor or temporary entrant or C] resident returning to Australia.

So when you are just coming here on holiday to validate your visa, you choose option B]. Then when you finally migrate here to stay permanently, you choose option A]. So the government knows at all times the purpose of your entry.

From the RTA website for New South Wales (www.rta.nsw.gov.au):

If you intend to stay in NSW and you hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958, you are no longer considered to be a visitor. You are allowed to drive or ride in NSW on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months after arriving in Australia.

Edited by Springbok