Anzac in Adelaide

Marius

I have just returned from the Anzac day parade here in Adelaide. What a positively uplifting and sometimes emotional experience to see thousands of Aussies of all ages line the streets with flags and celebrate this special day with so much feeling and passion. Specifically the pride in the faces of the veterans in the march, even the nurses that served, they are often forgotten. I addition dawn services will be held today to pay further tribute.I must say I got "goosies"as I watched the parade and all the different armed forces, a sense of pride spilled over me, although I am not entirely part of the objective of the day in the true sense. I do however know a number of people in South Africa that served in the world wars, some still alive. I could not help but wonder, when last has ANYONE told or shown them that they appreciate the sacrafices they made as young South Africans in the World WAR II or any other war for that matter. For me today was also in a sense about them, if they could I am sure they would have marched proudly next to their mates today. Some really former comrades and and mates I can imagine as South Africans fought alongside Aussies many places.

I will be back at the Anzac day parade next year and participate in the spirit of the event. :thumbdown: For me in addition to what the day means for the people of my adopted home country, it will also pay tribute to all the South Africans that served in the same chapter of history.

The ABC has made available recordings for sale of the Anzac day march in the all the major cities today here in Australia. For those interested in obtaining a recording of the march in their or any other city, here are the contact details:

http://www.abc.net.au/programsales/s1620349.htm

e-mail: progsales[at]your.abc.net.au

OR CONTACT

ABC Adelaide SA

Tel: 08 8343 4062

Fax: 08 8343 4904

ABC Brisbane Qld

Tel: 07 3377 5398

Fax: 07 3377 5127

ABC Canberra ACT

Tel: 1300 650 587

Fax: 02 8333 3975

ABC Darwin NT

Tel: 08 8943 3176

Fax: 08 8943 3175

ABC Hobart Tas

Tel: 03 6235 3454

Fax: 03 6235 3684

ABC Melbourne Vic

Tel: 03 9524 2271

Fax: 03 9524 2304

ABC Perth WA

Tel: 08 9220 2945

Fax: 08 9220 2766

ABC Sydney NSW

National Sales Office

Ph: 1300 650 587

Fax: 02 8333 3975

Email: progsales[at]your.abc.net.au

In the 1970's the World War 1 veterans were dying off and it was only a matter of time before the World War 2 veterans slipped into the history also, as a generation.

It was feared in the 70's that ANZAC day (25th April) and Remembrance Day (11th Nov) would slip into obscurity and be all forgotten by future generations of Australians.

Today, at work, I spoke to a young bloke who happened to attend the Dawn Service at the beachside suburb of Semaphore in Adelaide. There were many Dawn sevices held throughout the suburbs of Adelaide, but at this one service 500 people, most of them young, were at the Dawn service and afterwards they drifted into pubs, the Federal Hotel being the pub he went to and chatted to "Diggers" from WW2 about their recollections.

Future generations of Australians are dusting their father's and grand-father's medals off and wearing them with pride.

It is almost becoming an occasion where "true blue" Aussies can get together.

So many ethnics have arrived in Australia over the past 30 years that Aussies, Kiwis, Poms, Canadians, Rhodesians and South Africans and other British Commonwealth armed forces have their special day reserved exclusively for themselves, sharing stories and a beer afterwards.

As Rhodesians or South Africans, if your father or grand-father were in the World Wars, then you are entitled to dust off their medals and wear them with pride alongside true blue Australian and other British Commonwealth forces marching in the parades around the nation.

As Marius has mentioned, it is one of the few special days that Australians are commemorating and Australians hold this day sacred to the memory of all the young men and women who fought for our freedom today.

Future generations of Australians are catching the spirit of this day and its special significance.

You are privileged to be invited to take part in this day.

As South Africans or Rhodesians living in Australia, you are among the few to be invited.

This day means little or nothing to ethnics that have come to Australia in the past 30 years.

Edited by Bob