AN AVERAGE SCHOOL DAY FOR A WORKING MOM

Smartie

Experienced working moms please help!

Here in SA my 13year goes to school at 7am and I fetch her after school at 5pm.

Could I do the same times in Oz for my 13 year old and my 2 year old?

Would have no support base there so I would for them to be in school same amount of time as they are here.

Smartie, quite a lot of schools have before and after school care here. It can work out quite expensive though. The 2 year old will go to childcare. 7 is really early though. I'm not sure how many places will take children from that early. The 13 year old will be too old though. It's usually only up to age 11 / 12 that they can go.

My son, who is 12 now, has been making his own way to and from school from the age of 9, either by walking or by bus. It really is safe and they get so independent and full of confidence when they realise they can look after themselves! :o

Hi Smartie,

Our YMCA provides before and after school care from 6am to 6pm. They take and fetch the children to and from school. I am not too sure about the daycare centres, but I am sure you will find one that suits your needs.

You will find that Australia is extremely family friendly, and there are a lot of solutions for working parents. Unfortunately, childcare is very expensive, but worth your peace of mind in the end. In some cases you are entitled to a rebate on your costs.

Schools here mostly start at about 8.35am and the school day ends at 3pm. A lot of companies allow mom's to work from 8:45pm to 2:45pm. Don't be scared to ask about the possibility of working school hours, and how that will affect your income. Maket the calculations, and decide what wil be best for your situation. Working full time, and paying more childcare, or sacrificing some of your income, and not paying so much childcare. I chose to work full time and pay childcare.

All I'm trying to tell you is that there are options available, and most employers are willing to accomodate you as a working parent. :ilikeit:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Many thanks guys, it certainly makes me feel better knowing that

there are options albeit costly!!

Hi,

I have found that most employers are very sympathetic towards working parents, and will be able to accomodate you when things like this happen. I will pray for you that find one of these. :) Just wanted to say that they are there.

Greetings,

Dreamy