1st Month in Griffith, NSW

Marlene

Coming from NZ I think we actually experienced the second-time immigration quite matter of factly. The scenery is bit more to what we are used to ... that is Malmesbury and surroundings. Even weed looks familiar....ha-ha! The flocks or parrots flying wild and the skippies on the golf course are something to get used to.

Maybe because we are not in or around a city, but we have found buying a car much more difficult here than in NZ. Also the rental process are different. BUT at least we can say after a month we have 2 cars, 1 rental property, 1 job and 1 child in school. I can't start work until I have found placement for the baby and currently we are on a waiting list.

Postal service is very slow compared to what we are used to in NZ and again, maybe because we're used to Auckland, compared to a rural town.

Health services and costs are much better in NZ, does not matter if you are in a town or city.

I have found the school to be a bit behind NZ, BUT closer to what we were used to in SA. What I appreciated from the school is that they have religious classes. They still form rows before entering a class, with hands behind their backs.

Banking was an absolute nightmare! Service was great and again, maybe because this is a rural town, but everything had to be double checked or phoned to head-office to find out what to do.

We actually see the sun shining for 2 days in a row..ha-ha!

Hi Marlene,

Welcome to Aus!!

Things are slightly different here, but then it would be, no matter where in the world you go. The banking, purchasing of cars and postal services was a pleasure here in Sydney. I suspect you are right about it being a little challenging in the rural area.

We've been in Sydney 4 years and this is the worst we have experienced the weather with continual rain. It felt like being back in Auckland!! The weather is really the exception right now.

Good luck with the rest of the settling in process.

SAS

Even weed looks familiar....ha-ha!

:ilikeit::lol::)

Is dit nou dié wat jy rook of dié wat jy uit die blombedding trek? B);)

Maar in elk geval.. welkom in Aus!!

Sw

Hi Marlene,

Welcome to Aus!!

Things are slightly different here, but then it would be, no matter where in the world you go. The banking, purchasing of cars and postal services was a pleasure here in Sydney. I suspect you are right about it being a little challenging in the rural area.

We've been in Sydney 4 years and this is the worst we have experienced the weather with continual rain. It felt like being back in Auckland!! The weather is really the exception right now.

Good luck with the rest of the settling in process.

SAS

THANKS! And yes, I suspected that things would be different if you compare a city to a rural town, so I'm not too worried about the things that are more challanging.

Rain every second or third day is much preferred over rain every day....ha-ha!

How do you get used to your bedroom being next to the front door???? Ha-ha!

:ilikeit::lol::)

Is dit nou dié wat jy rook of dié wat jy uit die blombedding trek? B);)

Maar in elk geval.. welkom in Aus!!

Sw

Giggel-giggel....man, jy weet wat ek bedoel....ha-ha! En dankie, ons geniet Griffith.

Strange, all the new house plans I looked at had this arrangement .... :huh::D:blink:

Guest colton

Marlene,

Good to see the move wasn't too stressful. We have just come back from NZ and funny how each persons views are different. I was definitely not impressed and thought NZ to be more backward than Australia? While we were there we said it should be called the "Land of the Long Black Cloud" not the "Land of the Long White Cloud" because of the incessant rain. I was getting seriously depressed with the lack of sunshine. Having said that though my cousin has lived there for the past 10 years and absolutely loves it. Each to his own.

As far as the house plans go, I agree there seem to be a number of houses with the bedrooms at the front but our house at the moment doesn't have that set up and the house we are building doesn't either, the study is next to the front door. A man must have designed that set up, a woman would never do something so strange. :ilikeit:

Older homes in SAfrica also had this. I can remember people who lived in Benoni (Transvaal) who lived in such a home. In Sydney, the older homes have the bedroom by the front door, but the newer homes don't. At least I don't have my bedroom next to the front door!!

Keep us posted with your experiences in Griffith.

SAS

Marlene,

Good to see the move wasn't too stressful. We have just come back from NZ and funny how each persons views are different. I was definitely not impressed and thought NZ to be more backward than Australia? While we were there we said it should be called the "Land of the Long Black Cloud" not the "Land of the Long White Cloud" because of the incessant rain. I was getting seriously depressed with the lack of sunshine. Having said that though my cousin has lived there for the past 10 years and absolutely loves it. Each to his own.

As far as the house plans go, I agree there seem to be a number of houses with the bedrooms at the front but our house at the moment doesn't have that set up and the house we are building doesn't either, the study is next to the front door. A man must have designed that set up, a woman would never do something so strange. :ilikeit:

One of the things which was really getting to us was the rain every day!!!! And yes, it does tend to make you totally depro.

On the medical side I have found NZ to be much better with regards to people on working visas. With regards to other thnigs, it definately depends on if you are in a city or rural town.

Ha-ha...I have also come to the conclusion it must be men designing the houses.... At this stage we are planning to rather build than buy...all depends on the residency process. But yes, main bedroom in the front of the house, is a bit of a problem, we are now in the habit of never opening our blinds, because you can basically see from the road onto the ensuite toilet!

I have found Griffith so far to be a very nice friendly rural community. All the basics are here, like Bunnings, Warehouse, Big W & Woolworths, Coles etc. With regdards to shops we can not complain. The local airport service flights to Melbourne as well as Sydney @ about $100 either way single. So, if we're really desperate, we can just hop onto a plane....ha-ha!

Choice for daycare is not that wide as what we would have had in a city, so me getting a job is dependant on when we get an opening for the baby.

Job-wise we can not complain. There are heaps!

Little things I miss about NZ....re-cycling. We're used to putting out our seperate bins for rubbish, glass, plastic and garden waste. Again, maybe this happens in the cities?

Little things I miss about NZ....re-cycling. We're used to putting out our seperate bins for rubbish, glass, plastic and garden waste. Again, maybe this happens in the cities?
We definitely recycle in Sydney! We have 3 bins, garden waste, bottles, cans paper etc and normal rubish.

The one thing I miss most from NZ is my InSinkErator for disposal of veggie peels etc!!!!

SAS

We definitely recycle in Sydney! We have 3 bins, garden waste, bottles, cans paper etc and normal rubish.

The one thing I miss most from NZ is my InSinkErator for disposal of veggie peels etc!!!!

SAS

YES!!!! Me too, and shopping trolleys that work....ha-ha! But I'm sure these things differ from town to town and city to city. Like you guys re-cycling vs Griffith which does not.

What I like about Griffith....yes, the medical system is not as good as in AKL, BUT if you phone with worry in your voice that your 9-month-old has a rash, they make time!