GENERAL SKILLED VISA AND ENGLISH TEST

Smartie

Hi there,

We are currently applying for a General Skilled Visa.

Pls can someone help me on the following:

1) How was the English Test. As if my hubbie fails the English Test then we cannot get in.

2) Did any of you NOT pass your AIMS? Another worry we have

3) On the General Skilled Visa do you quality for FREE public school and FREE medical as soon as you land?

4) Hubbie is going over in Sep to check out Perth and Brisbane. Can he open a bank account when he is

there or do you need your visa first?

5) Can I family of 4 get by on around AUD 4000 per month.

6) On AUD 4000 per month could we manage to fly our parents over once a year provided that we

never went on holidays etc???

Thank you so much to anyone that can help.

We are leaving our ENTIRE family from Durban with no support and we are SCARED to say the least but we are even more SCARED for our children if we stay

Hi Smartie

1)English test not difficult at all, it's the whole idea of writing the test that was the most scary. Search IELTS on the forum, lots of advice there.

2)Don't know what AIMS is

3)Yes to both although you will have to get a "topup"medical with in a year.

4)Yes I am sure he can

5)Yes 4000 is fine

6) You'll have to save a bit but doable

Hope this helps a little, you sound a bit troubled.

It's a big step and not easy but very worth while in the long run!

Love

Nilo

Hi Smartie

1)English test not difficult at all, it's the whole idea of writing the test that was the most scary. Search IELTS on the forum, lots of advice there.

2)Don't know what AIMS is

3)Yes to both although you will have to get a "topup"medical with in a year.

4)Yes I am sure he can

5)Yes 4000 is fine

6) You'll have to save a bit but doable

Hope this helps a little, you sound a bit troubled.

It's a big step and not easy but very worth while in the long run!

Love

Nilo

Dear Nilo,

Just wanted to say thanks a stack for your answer.

We are really concerned about having enough money to get my folks over once a year as this decision has broken my moms heart.

AIMS - This is the Australian board that checks if your qualications/work experience is sufficient to get in.

We are very average people in SA with nothing major so if hubbie does not pass, we can't get the skilled visa.

Pls hold thumbs !!

Cheers and take care

Hi Smartie

We'll be praying for you from this side. A lot of us are in the same financial boat, just normal salary earners. We have done it, you can too!!!

Lovies

Nilo

PS Why don't you try the 457 way as well as doing the skilled. We applied for 136 and 6 months later got a job offer and 457 and we've been here for 6 months already, earning $.

Edited by Nilo

Hi Smartie

We'll be praying for you from this side. A lot of us are in the same financial boat, just normal salary earners. We have done it, you can too!!!

Lovies

Nilo

PS Why don't you try the 457 way as well as doing the skilled. We applied for 136 and 6 months later got a job offer and 457 and we've been here for 6 months already, earning $.

Take it from me Smartie, Nilo knows what she is talking about...i have first hand experience! :ilikeit:

Rodz

Thank you for that. I suppose the only reason I know is because we've been there done that and are living in Australia. Hope you'r well and all goes well with you kiddie's medicals.

Love

Nilo

Guest colton

Hi Smartie,

We are also from the Durban area. As far as bringing your mom out every year, no problem! My mom comes out every year to see the other grandchildren and this year we are paying for her ticket. We have only been here since November 2006 and I have just booked her ticket for Jan 2008. It cost $1 500 which seems alot if you convert it but the difference is that it is so easy to make that $1 500 and in a very short time. It takes forever to make R12 000 back in good old South Africa.

My mom is the envy of all her friends because she gets to go on these holidays each year with stop overs in different countries. Your mom will eventually love the fact that you live here and she needs to travel.

Rodz

Thank you for that. I suppose the only reason I know is because we've been there done that and are living in Australia. Hope you'r well and all goes well with you kiddie's medicals.

Love

Nilo

A bit stressed out but doing well. Will see how it goes on Tuesday.

Thanx

Hi Smartie,

We are also from the Durban area. As far as bringing your mom out every year, no problem! My mom comes out every year to see the other grandchildren and this year we are paying for her ticket. We have only been here since November 2006 and I have just booked her ticket for Jan 2008. It cost $1 500 which seems alot if you convert it but the difference is that it is so easy to make that $1 500 and in a very short time. It takes forever to make R12 000 back in good old South Africa.

My mom is the envy of all her friends because she gets to go on these holidays each year with stop overs in different countries. Your mom will eventually love the fact that you live here and she needs to travel.

Many thanks to you guys for all your help and prayers.

I will asking a lot of questions if you don't mind!!