GETTING THE KIDDIES TO SCHOOL AND BACK

Smartie

Hi there,

Please can someone assist me on how working moms are able to get their kiddies to school and back on time. I have heard that if you work in BNE or PER city that it can take up to an hour to get home. Pls help!

I have a 2 year old daughter and a 13 year old daughter and it all seems rather daunting as we will have no family nor friends there.

Hi Smartie I live in Melbourne and door to door it takes me an hour too. It is quite a rush to get the kids on time at aftercare but we have a great work / life balance culture within the company and they allow me to run off a few minutes early so that I can get there on time. It is very challenging and stressful and I miss my support structure I had. Your eldest is 13 and there are no aftercare clubs at school for children over 12.

The older kids usually get home on their own. My son cant wait to get to that stage. I am nervous just thinking about it.

The ideal situation would be to live not too far from where your work is.

Hope it all works out for you

J

Hi Smartie I live in Melbourne and door to door it takes me an hour too. It is quite a rush to get the kids on time at aftercare but we have a great work / life balance culture within the company and they allow me to run off a few minutes early so that I can get there on time. It is very challenging and stressful and I miss my support structure I had. Your eldest is 13 and there are no aftercare clubs at school for children over 12.

The older kids usually get home on their own. My son cant wait to get to that stage. I am nervous just thinking about it.

The ideal situation would be to live not too far from where your work is.

Hope it all works out for you

J

Dear J,

I am so used to not letting my kids out of my sight that the thought of my 13 year daughter getting home on her own makes me VERY nervous. I won't even leave my 2 year old in a trolley alone to try and find the longest sell by date on milk at PnP. I have become a nervous wreck living in SA.

Can you please tell me on average what time the kids start school at PRE SCHOOL and HIGH SCHOOL?

I have a 2 year old and a 13 year old.

What time is the latest you can pick up kids from school?

What time approx do most businesses finish work?

Do the schools have aftercare during holidays when the moms are working?

I have so many concerns. I am trying to figure out how much time I will have to leave work and get to the kids in time etc .

Thanks

Leanne

It does depend on the school. My kids are at before school care and we drop them off at 8am but the earliest they can be dropped is at 7am. School starts at 9am but by 8.45 they are taken to their classes to be lined up. The after school club runs from 3.30pm when school closes till 6.30pm. Some schools are till 6pm. Holiday club starts later and finishes earlier. The times are 8am till 6pm.

I know how you feel. I cant get my head round the fact that in two years time my son wont be allowed to go to after school care and must walk home. It is very safe though and everyone does it. We live near the schools and I see small kids walking home on their own and they seem just fine.

I am not sure of the daycare centres but I would assume the times would be very similar to the above times.

Hope this gives u an idea.

I forgot to mention most businesses run from 9 to 5