Tips for Tax 2007

Dedrei

Hi Guys

Thought I'd start ths thread as it is Tax time again, well in Australia that is. You should receive your payment summaries (IRP5's) from your employer by 14 July.

First and very important TIP

If you are here on a 457 visa, please download this form here and complete it and sent it off BEFORE you do your tax. This is the Medicare Levy exemption form, which you can also find from the list here This will save you some bucks as everyone pays a 1% medicare levy on their taxable income and you have an exemption available to you because your are on 457 and not entitled to medicare benefits. If you have lodged your PR in the mean time, you are only exempt up to the date of lodgement. Eg. If you came to aus on 01 Nov 2006 and submitted PR on 01/03/2007. You can claim exemption for the period 01/11/06 - 01/03/07. Please remember the exemption refers to the period 01/07/2006 - 30/06/2007.

Second Tip

Download the ETax2007 program from here

This is a very easy program and guides you through a whole interview process to make sure you declare and claim everything you can.

Third Tip

Make sure you complete your bank details, you will then get your refund around 2 weeks from lodging your tax return.

If you have any general questions regarding your tax, please feel free to ask via PM or here. I'll be glad to be of assistance. More complicated questions would be best answered by speaking to your tax accountant personally.

Cheers

Dedrei

Thank you very much. This is great!

Regards

Johan

Hi Dedrei

Thank you so much for this.

One Question, would it be better to go to a acountant or would we be able to and or know what to claim when we do it on the net?

Lovies

Nilo

Hi Nilo

If yours is fairly simple, I'd go with the Etax program. It will ask you questions right through so it will cover everything. It might be a lot to go through, but it covers everything.

If you don't have the time or want to make sure you are claiming everything you can or if yours is a bit more complex than the next person, by all means go to an accountant. But as I said, if you have a simple tax return then go with Etax.

Cheers

Dedrei

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the tip. eTax worked great.

Our tax for this year was fairly simple. We submitted it last week Monday and today 8 days later, the tax-man payed me some money :ilikeit::angry:

Regards

Johan Swanepoel

Hi Johan

Selfde hier, binne 8 dae, toe so surprise in ons bank rekening. Not to shabby hey Nige!!!

Dankie Dedrei vir die tip!!!

Dedrei is right about this one.

When we arrived I used etax in 2005 and worked out we had a refund of $500 or so but doing it on the form we should have got a lot more. So we went to an accountant. (they advertise a lot around this time of year. There I was told we had done eTax correctly but they send you your Centrelink payment for children automatically after your tax return has been assesed.

Since then we do the eTax. Will submit our soon

The accountants fee is deductable from your pretax earnings but is a waste if you have simple matters to attend to

This is something I'm very stupid with, as I worked through a tax broker in SA as a contractor.

Now I don't have a clue what I can claim for, what I get subsidised for etc etc. I AM a contractor, and I'm assuming that as a contractor you get some tax benefits, but I pay like....35% tax???

Does anyone have any more info on this??

Does anyone know whether your hospital cover is tax deductable on a 457 visa? I have heard that it is not from a non-expert source and I have not checked this with an accountant yet.

Thanks

Alan

Edited by alanb

Hi Alan

Unfortunately your hospital cover is not deductible. Even though you are on a 457 visa you are seen as a resident for tax purposes.

Only claim you have for medical is, if you have medical expenses above $1500. You get 20% rebate of the amount over and above $1500.

Spitfire, I suggest you download the E-tax program. It goes through an interview process and answer each question. In Australia you can claim more back as in SA. What kind of contractor are you?

Cheers

Cheers

Dedrei

Dedrei...I'm a broke contractor :ilikeit:

I work through an agency and am a concultant at Telstra Projects, and need to figure out how I can save on tax on a month to month basis! I'll check out the E-Tax pack, is that just for your tax return, or just tax in general?

Thanks Dedrei, you safed me from searching for a tax consultant. One thing thing less to do today.

Sulona