Customs duties ? Taxes on Container

DubaiPienaars

Hi all

I am busy planning for our move next year and making a list of things we need to replace in our home for Australia. We decided to buy here in Dubai as it is cheaper than in Aus and some of the things are on last legs.

I remember reading that you need all your invoices for your white goods and everything in container is inspected - and sometimes tax applies if you have new goods. I have been given two conflicting ages for items to be exempt from tax. One person told me that goods must be older than 6 months old and another person said the electrical goods / white goods must be older than 12 months.

Does anyone who shipped to Melbourne know anything about this / been through this?

Thanks for any advice

Tarryn

HI there

Thanks so much - you are a Gem.

I have a question - does this apply to electrical goods only or also furniture such as beds, sofa's dining suites etc?

Thanks again

Tarryn

Hi Tarryn

I think it applies to everything, but it would be difficult to prove that a bed is 'new', however, they may just ask you for purchase dates and copies of invoices if they think you are taking chances. I do not know that they have done so here, but they did in NZ.

Hey Diedre

I have had a look at that website - its like a minefield, sheesh to get a simple answer on what type fo customs will be charged is nigh impossible.

Does anyone have any experience on how much is charged on goods? like a percentage.

Its all very interesting this customs thing

HI there

Thanks so much - you are a Gem.

I have a question - does this apply to electrical goods only or also furniture such as beds, sofa's dining suites etc?

Thanks again

Tarryn

Hi Mara

Do you (or anyone) know what the percentage would be for customs charges on good coming in a container?

Thanks so much

Tarryn