Australian power plug configuration

Springbok

I thought this would show people in South Africa what the Australian electrical wall sockets and power plugs look like.

The domestic mains power supply in Australia is 240V AC, 50Hz. Standard 3-pin earthed power outlets are rated at 10Amps and are usually switched. The 3-flat-pin plug is used in all states of Australia (including its external territories), New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. You also get the 2-flat-pin configuration (i.e. the bottom vertical pin is missing on the plug).

As you can see the wall sockets have the 3-flat-pin configuration:

The flat pins look like this, the bottom vertical pin is the Earth, the two top pins are the Neutral and Active pins:

Of course you can bring your South African appliances along and just get yourself an adaptor like this:

Edited by Springbok

Good idea Springbok

We brought a couple of South African multiplugs with and then just changed the multiplug to fit the Ausie sockets. It helps a lot with chargers and especially.

Reghards

Johan

Thanks Springbok, the pictures say it all. U can buy these adaptors at any AA office or even at JHB international. Thanks again.

I bought a SA / Oz adaptor (as pictured above) at Game in Menlyn last year October for our LSD trip ... for those not wanting to travel all the way out to the airport for shopping! Hie hie hie ... sommer net FYI vir almal se inligting!

If the outlets are only 10Amps, how do you use something like a welder... :unsure:

Good idea Springbok

We brought a couple of South African multiplugs with and then just changed the multiplug to fit the Ausie sockets. It helps a lot with chargers and especially.

Reghards

Johan

Ja thats my plan as well. At least the sons playstation can still operate and some of the electrical goodies can still work with ou SA plugs

I heard there was a particular store (Tandy??) that sells these?I wonder if general hardware stores stock them?

Even more important, does anyone know if they're sold in Alice Springs? :holy:

If the outlets are only 10Amps, how do you use something like a welder... :holy:

There is a 15A version - similar configuration but the earth pin is a bit wider. You might need to get one installed though as they are not common. I believe higher current versions also exist but I have never seen any.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the pics Springbok. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Wish I had them before we came over.

You probably know it, but I thought I might mention that it is illegal to change your own plugs in Aus, as far as I know. It is very frustrating. Just don't tell an Aussie you've changed the plugs! :o

Greetings,

Dreamy

Good idea Springbok

Reghards

Johan

This is a great idea, and everybody seems to do it on arrival (see this thread from last year), but please remember that your insurance company will not cover you if anything goes wrong!

The other huge difference is the "power" in the bathroom:

• sockets - electric toothbrush and hairdryer friendly
  • light switches - spot the saffer newbie lurking around outside the bathroom door searching for the light switch on the outer wall

:o C'Lou

Hi C'Lou,

I was thinking the exact same thing a day or two ago, the power points and light switch on the inside. I want to take pics of our bathroom to send to the family. I just love the drains they have in the floors, both in the bathrooms and laundry's! Saved me more than once.

Greetings,

Dreamy

You probably know it, but I thought I might mention that it is illegal to change your own plugs in Aus, as far as I know.

Dreamy

For whatever reason?

Hi Rodz,

Safety safety safety, gonna still drive you nuts when you start working!!!. Des says they are so safety conserned that the Electricians here will not be able to work on a live installation.

Not ot worry, you are in the right trade, do your own. I used to do ours in SA and Seychelles it was simple, the plugs here are a bit tricky, but once you've done one!!!

Lovies

Nilo

PS Got approved for the new rental (have to apply for those here) so will be moving into a 4 bedroom house next weekend. Cant wait, been in a 2 bed for 6 monts, great for a start but a bit small now. So you guys can come visit in Brissie when you arive.