Getting Sorted!!!

saffer2

Hiya.

Thought I would post now that we have been in Sydney for just 4 days and give you all an update.

Toughest thing so far......... is to prove your address and residency.

So far we have achieved registering for Medicare, got NSW drivers license (converted UK ones), opened bank accounts and bought a car!! Seems easy but the whole address thing was a pain....follows is a couple of pointers to making your life easy when you step off the plane.

They (medicare) accepted a letter from the people we are renting from (only 7 weeks rental) as proof of address, this is NB as everyone wants proof of address.

If you have done a visa validation visit and then come back to Oz to settle you need to prove you are here to stay, you will need evidence for all family members etc. house removal & itemised furntiure forms, school acceptance forms, letter of employment or contract sale of house in SA, just proof that you have left SA for good and are not going back.

RTA (drivers people) accept SA credit cards as proof of address and passports, all you need to prove your identity. IF you have SA licences you have to book a test.......we had UK ones and they converted these (in 30min) for just $140.

Make every effort to get your NSW (or other state) drivers license as soon as you can, this seems to be the KING of ID here, it seems to open doors. A bit like the green ID book in SA.

JUST MAKE SURE: That the name on your passport is EXACTLY that same as your name on your credit card and your Drivers License as well as on ALL bills you get here in Oz.

Otherwise we have had GREAT time, warm weather and our kids have loved the parks, beach and freedom of just running about......we have also started looking for a house to rent.

Will post again once we do some more stuff....... and settle in a bit.

Thanks to all of you who have provided USEFUL info in the past 6 months.

Cheers

Reid

Edited by Reid

Welcome Reid and family!

We have been here 3 weeks now, and I agree with you. All that paperwork is very necessary. Don't forget to apply for your tax number :ilikeit: You can do it online, and within a week you have it ;) Love it here :D

But having said that, once you HAVE the paperwork, everything else is easy :D

Hi Reid

So nice to hear from you!!

Luke has three more months and he will be there!! Thanks for all the tips, we will start getting together all the necessary paperwork. I am glad that my husband will be left to do all the running around!! I will hopefully arrive to a fully furnished rented house!!

Keep well and enjoy your adventure!!

Robyn

Totally agree!! We have found once you have your Drivers License all else is very easy!! Has not been that bad though, just learning about what happens when and how!!

Cheers, P.

Hi there Reid's

Been thinking about you guys, hope your flight was uneventful and you managed to find your way around. I still battle with getting home from the airport, funny how I can find my way there and not back. :D

I have been keeping an eye on the rental market as we also need to move soon and it seems like the properties are getting snapped up pretty fast so be ready to pounce when you find a good one. Your wifes employment contract or a reference letter will be of great help when you come to rent so keep a copy handy.

I am so jealous that you could just convert your drivers licence, we have to redo ours and the whole thing is proving to be more scarey than the move itself.

Have a great time, can't wait to catch up on all your adventures.

S

PS. Thanks for bringing the sun back we have hardly had a drop of rain since you arrived. :ilikeit:

Guest Bronwyn

Hi guys

Don't forget to give your Aussie bank your new tax file number, or else they withold 50% of any credit interest due to you...

Bronwyn

Hi Reid,

Great to hear you're settling in. You sound very organised to have done so many things in just 4 days... and sent an email!

Good Luck with finding a new home and I hope you continue to enjoy life on the Northern Beaches!!

Ally

Edited by The Venter's

Hiya.

Thanks for the posts, lucky that everything (medicare, RTA & car company) were in a block of each other. If you have the right doc's its easy, we spent all day Monday going to each place to be told that we needed proof of address!! Our children have also been great, but they have had enough of ADMIN!!

Now just to find somewhere nice to live, know the area, now just need to find something!!

An update to stuff done:

ANZ posted new bank cards in 4 days, all ready to use.

We recieved Medicare temp numbers in 3 days, new card in 10 days.

Weather still good and oh yes, Marmite is not Marmite but Vegemite!!!

Recieved our new car 4 days after ordering it, ready to drive!!

Cheers

Paul.

Edited by Reid