Scuba Cylinders to perth

Joeemm

Hi Everyone

As the regulars may know I'm coming to Perth in June :ilikeit: I'm a very keen scuba diver, and I'd like to knwo if anyone else has brought tanks from SA. I do know that some manufacturers like Faber specially stamp tanks with WA for Western Auz. And that it can be very costly to get cylinders approved for use in WA.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Joseph

Guest Larry

I brought my SCUBA tank in about 12 years ago. It is a Faber 12 litre steel tank. I joined one of the local dive clubs in Melbourne and dropped off my tank for hydrostatic testing. - It passed and has done so every year since.

Hi Larry,

Thanks very much, I checked with Customs as well and they have no problem. I recon I'll take them and just see if they are passed great if not I've not lost anything because if I try sell them here I'll get next to nothing anyway.

Safe Diving

P.s do you see many people with small twin sets? even here I'm most often the only diver on the boat. Can't think why, they really are very comfortable to dive with :-)

Guest Larry

Very few people here use those twin-sets. - I don't know why! - Maybe cost?

If you want to dive below about 28m, most dive operators insist you carry a small "pony" bottle. - I can't remember the capacity.

In Australia, cylinders are required to be hydrostatically tested every year.

Hi Larry

That's interesting, over here the guys haven't got that far yet. But I think it's not a bad thing and the sport diving limit is supposed to be 40m. If the guys know anything about deeper diving (>30m for the purposes of this chat) they'll know that a single 10l cylinder - 200 litres (like most sport divers use) will allow very limited bottom time (especially if the diver is meant to stay out of Decompression). So a pony could save a life.

As a matter of interest do you know how popular so called Technical diving is over there?

safe diving

Guest Larry

If by "technical diving" you mean diving with a "cocktail" of gases to allow you to dive deeper, it is less popular than I remember it being in South Africa. Probably the reason is that you don't have to dive very deep off Australia to get to see interesting things.

I have only recently moved to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. - Most of my diving in Australia has been near the rip at the mouth of Port Phillip Bay, south of Melbourne. Somewhat surprisingly, the waters near Melbourne is a lot warmer than the waters near Cape Town.... In spite of Melbourne being quite a bit further south!

A colleague of mine is a very keen diver and he has started making mutterings about getting a group together to go and do a night dive off the HMAS Brisbane, which was recently sunk off Maroochydore, about 30km north of where I live..... I had better get my tank hydro'ed first!!

Edited by Larry