Apple vs PC

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

As mentioned before, my husband and I are in the market for a new notebook, which we are planning to buy once we set foot on the lucky continent!

We initially considered a PC (Sony VAIO VGNSZ483NC to be specific), but were recently told to rather opt for an Apple Macbook :ilikeit: . I am no graphic designer, but my husband loves editing our personal home videos…. :ilikeit:

I believe one can now operate Windows on an Apple Macbook… :ilikeit:, but is is user-friendly? Can one Skype with a Apple Macbook or do you need a PC for Skype?

My ultimate goal with a notebook is to visit www.saaustralia.org, Skype my family and friends, writing emails etc.

I know that there are a few computer experts on the forum and would love to get opinions and suggestions.

Please help.

Bye, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa

I have sent you an email, with a contact name and email address, who would be able to give you good advice!

hey Pippa

In my opinion, stick to Microsoft. Im not a Microsoft junky (Everything I do does not involve Microsoft), I uses Fedora 7 at work and home (newest version of redhat linux) and I am quite happy with it. But going from one Operating System to another takes time and effort and Im sure your up for that, but when you arrive here, you want to be able to send/edit photo's with very little distractions such as learning to use a new OS.

Almost everything on the web supports Windows. And If you decide to go with Visa, you will find that it is easy to use. Browsing the web and downloading exe files is simple to do. If you are currently with windows, why would you want to change? You have all your current software that works with windows, do you really want to buy everything from scratch?

Its good to change, but in my opinion why would you want to change something that currently does everything you want it to?

kind regards

Fred

Edited by Fred

Interesting advice from a Linux hax0r Fred.

I reccon try the Apple out if you can. For Video editing it should be great.

Also Skype, MS Office ect, works on it.

The best you can do if you like the Apple is make sure all your software works on it.

Regards

Johan

Hi Pippa

I work on both systems daily (which took a bit of getting used to) but had to for business... We use Macs for the whole Graphic Design thing and they really are amazing and very reliable and once you get used to the operating system, they are probably easier to use. And then, obviously, they don't crash as often, freeze or require all the frequent updates.

On the other hand... In South Africa it is really only the people involved in the industry that use it and as soon as you communicate, swop files, etc you invarably end up with some or other compatability problem (even though there are versions of most PC programmes that run on Mac).

In the US there is a majority of Mac users so no problem, but here in South Africa and from what I established from visits to Oz, Mac users are in a vast minority (which also has an effect on support).

So my advise, after that mouthfull, is go with a PC for now... You will have the normal problems we're all used to, but your support, compatability and familiarity of use is better.

Norm

We have a Mac and love it! You can purchase iLife and it runs Microsoft word and excel.

We use the iwork program to make DVD's, presentations etc.

Skype works fine on our Mac.

You wouldn't easily find us purchasing a PC after having a Mac!

Hi

Wel if you are willing to change country, why not change operating system :-)

Here are definitely more Macs here than I saw in RSA. They are however still in the minority.

As to communication with Windows pc's, I have not run windows for almost 6 years now and have not had problems.

The big thing to look out for is software. Make sure you will be able to find what you need and you cannot make "backups" of software from your friends that use windows. Not that we pirate software.

Here are some windows vs mac arguments (not complete at all)

Windows advantages

- More people use it so you probably have more support

- Copying software is easier because more people have software available

- It migh be what you are used to

Mac Advatages

- It is more stable than Windows

- There are less viruses for Mac than there are for Windows

- It just looks better

Regards

Johan

I prefer the Pc hardware, cheaper, more options. Been running Mandriva Linux as a desktop for almost 10 years. Free, stable, no virus problems. Use Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird and Skype. My wife thinks it is user friendly too!

Baie goeie raad hier Pippa. As ek my stuiwer in die armbeurs kan gooi sou ek ook aanraai om die sprong te neem en Mac te gaan. Julle sal nie spyt wees nie! Ek het 'n vriend wat jarre Windows gebruik het, en na slegs een week op die Mac platform het hy gesweer hy gaan NOOIT terug Windows toe nie! Dis nou al maande later, en hy rave nog steeds daaroor, en kan nie uitgepraat raak oor hoe gebruikersvriendelik dit is, en hoe intuïtief. Ekself gebruik UBUNTU Linux, net omdat ek nognie vir vroulief kon oortuig dat ons 'n Mac kan koop nie, maar ek is ook keelvol vir Windows en jy sal my nie sommer Vista sien laai nie! Daar is net te veel tandekry probleme in my netwerk van rekenaarkundiges. MS verloor elke dag markaandeel aan Mac en Linux hier in Noord-Amerika - en vir goeie rede. Apple is ook allerweë bekend vir video en fotoverwerking, geen PC pakket kan kers vashou by dié platvorm nie.

Hallo Pippa

Ek is 'n IT / Gadget geek op die beste van tye en my G** jik al lankal vir 'n mac masjien. Baie meer stabiel, maklik om te gebruik, minder arrogant ... veral vir editing ens.

Waar microsoft egter die pad byster geraak het is met windows vista. Ontsettend intensief op geheue en baie drywers vir jou "periphirals" werk nie daarmee nie. So wees versigtig om 'n rekenaar met vista te kry as jy nog 'n ouer printer, video, speakers ens het...dit mag dalk nie meer werk nie.

Kyk op e-bay vir 'n tweedehandse masjien of selfs een wat van die trok afgeval het (hehe - waarvan die boks dalk beskadig is). My pel in sydney het 'n nuwe dell laptop vir onder $1000 gekoop op ebay.

Lekker aand...

DIEskIm

Apple macs rule. Once you have used a mac you will never want to go back to a PC again! They are far more stable, and don't attract viruses.

They just keep on going...and going...unlike their friend PC.

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the advice. Seems like I must seriously consider an Apple!!! I really appreciate your help and input - much appreciated!

Lovies, Pippa! X

• 10 months later...

I've just bought an Apple desktop computer a week ago.

It hasn't crashed yet . . . . unlike my old PC.

I'm on a steep learning curve in how this thing works.

Now . . . . all I've gotta do is figure out what this button doe

I got my mac desktop in December last year and two months ago got my macbook pro. My hubby is still on a pc. I see him battling on a daily basis with freezing, viruses, and a number of other problems.

Setting up a network on a pc takes quite a while... on a mac.. you just plug in the network cable!

The new operating system has the most amazing features... one of them is the Time Machine. You simply plug in an external drive... and it starts to make a copy of your entire machine. As changes are made so it updates its records. I changed my mail SMTP the other day... and messed it up! All I did to fix it was open time machine, go back two days and restore my mail settings. This will work with ANYTHING! If you delete a document, if you edit a photo... you can go back a few days and restore the original one.

Another think that I love about a mac is that when you install a program the entire program goes into it's own directory... no shared folders... library files etc... just all in one spot! Makes it so easy to make back up copies of your software.

The ease of the applications in iLife are fantastic. To take out red eye in a photo is simply one click on the 'remove red eye' tab... you can edit movies, add special effects to your video clips (make it overcast, make it rain etc etc etc).

I also have Office for Mac so I still have my word and excel etc.

Plug and play ACTUALLY works on a mac... you plug in your printer... wait a bit... and it's installed.

I will never ever ever go back to a pc!

My DH has asked me if I'm writing an essay here... I explained that I have to Champion the Cause!! (if you hadn't figured out yet I am very passionate about mac)

Hope this helps!!

C

ps Pippa, please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance

Yep - have to agree.. I am a Mac snob!

I'm a designer, so I've worked on one for years - and love them.

I have a beeeyooooootiful little Mac Mini at Home. The hard-drive looks like a compact little white and chrome lunch box. Love it!

And you get all the Mocrosoft stuff for Mac too - so no problem.

Leigh

Hi Carrie,

ps Pippa, please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance

I eventually bought a Macbook and love it :whome: !!! Still have some trouble sometimes figuring out how to use some of the applications, but I now have you as an expert to contact if the need arises :ilikeit::ilikeit: !!! Many thanks.... I will most definitely ask, when I need help!

How far are you with your plans to move to Mellies?

I am in Melbourne for work this week and must say that it absolutely AWESOME!!!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Today (Wednesday) I catch up with my youngest daughter, Heidi, in Adelaide.

Both of my daughters live away from home nowadays, so I like to catch up with them weekly and have a bite to eat with each of them

Anyway . . . . I'm getting away from the point!

I asked Heidi today if she were happy with the MacBook (13" screen, 120Gb hard-drive, 1 Gb RAM0 that she bought six months ago.

Answer . . . . she loves it!

She dumped her ASUS laptop with 15" screen, 120 Gb hard-drive, 1.5 Gb RAM, etc.

I also asked her if she were interested in "upgrading" in the future to a MacBook Pro, for instance???

Her present 13" screen MacBook laptop fits nicely into her bag and she doesn't want one too big and bulky was the answer.

I learnt that for extra Gb space she plugs in her 30Gb (Video) iPod and uses that as an external hard-drive to download files and photos, etc to increase her overall storage memory for her University subjects.

It just plugs into her MacBook like an ordinary card or "stick" and downloads and retrieves files off it.

I haven't heard her whingeing about her Mac laptop since she bought the thing . . . . . and anyone who knows Heidi will tell you that if there's a problem with anything, she'll let you know about it!!!!

She seems to have got onto a good thing???

Edited by Bob

One things' for sure, you want strong opinions, just say "Mac PC". Very quickly.

You'll be entertained for hours......

I love it.

How far are you with your plans to move to Mellies?

I am in Melbourne for work this week and must say that it absolutely AWESOME!!!

Hey there fellow MACian (????)

*Mental note to self "Check the dates of people's posts before you reply"* I just looked at the date of your original post and feel like a right eeeeejitt!!!!

But in any event I am really glad you have crossed over to the light *hehehehehe*

Looks like Melbourne is kinda on the back burner for now... planning another trip to Perth to go check out this 'thriving boom' and see if there is a wee business that DH and I can buy... (well that's the excuse anyways... what do you call the second LSD??). I'm glad you agree with my impression of Melbourne... it really is a beautiful place.

But back to my Mac... it makes me all warm and fuzzie inside!

Excellent post - even although it spanned the years - Must admit that I had pretty much made up my mind to replace both my wife and my laptop with with Mac's. Now I am absolutely convinced!! I just like the brand!!

I don't like Steve Jobs

I don't like Bill Gates

I don't like Linus Torvalds

What OS should I use?? argue.gif