How many S Africans where you live?

Otto

Where do you live and approximately how many South Africans are living in the same town /city?

Obviously I would start:

Griffith, NSW, ±30 South Africans.

Millmerran, QLD 3 South Africans

Ek is in Gladstone omgewing wat Boyne Island & Tannum Sands insluit, hierso is 'baie' SA oukies. Ek skat hier is tussen 40 en 50 gesinne. Dit kan dalk meer wees...?

Groete, Danie

Millmerran, QLD 3 South Africans

Danie jy is reg ons is defnitief meer as 50gesinne in die Gladstone/Tannum/Boyne area.

Adelaide, South Australia. Ek reken sowat 50-100 gesinne.

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi there,

According to the invitation list of our Embassy there are around 250 South Africans in South Korea, not sure how many of them live in Seoul, I have personally met 7. :ilikeit:

In the town in the Netherlands where we used to live, we were the only South Africans. (Little piece of useless information : We have a Huguenot surname - one you often see in SA - and were the only family registered with that surname in the whole of Holland !! :D ) I never needed to give out my phone number, I could say, just look me up in the national phonebook :ilikeit:

According to the Dutch Official Statistics - Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (CBS) - there were 12 274 South African born foreigners in Holland in 2005, with 13 745 South African Nationals (don't know how many of those are dual nationalities tho'). So probably about 13 000 Saffers in Holland. :blush:

Love

Seoul Sister

:D

We're in Canning Vale, Perth, in our suburb alone we must be over 20 families, as for the rest of Perth I'm sure it's hundreds - anybody got an idea?

Hi Pisces

My brother's family are in Rossmoyne - isn't that quite close to Canning Vale?

Hi Cindylou

Rossmoyne is just a few suburbs away from us, also in the South.

Hello there,

Judging by the South African monthly business breakfast, and annual Christmas party there are in excess of 500 families at the Gold Coast and still counting.

John & Diane

Can Affirm Dianes posting re the GOLD COAST

Went to a 50th birthday party the other day and there were more than 40 SA couples there.

Floggers Golf Club at Sanctuary Cove has at least 40-50 members.

A SAFFER behind every bush! Most Aussies on the Gold Coast are well informed on South Africa as they all seem to have SA friends, doctors, electricians etc. Springbok food in Oxenford does a lively trade amongst the SAFFER community , and lately among the Aussies who really enjoy our "billtung and boowewoors"

Auckland: Too many at times..... :):):ilikeit::)

SS,

2 of those SA's in the Dutch country are friends of mine (but their kids were born in the Netherlands). I have another friend somewhere around there but we lost contact some years ago.

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi,

I read an article a while back on Saffers being the largest immigrant group in Auckies. Can't find it now... :ilikeit: but will put the link on once I do. NZHigh, friends in Holland, really ? If you PM me the names I can tell you if I know them, won't that be funny !! :ilikeit: I can also try and help you track down your long-lost friend if you want.

Love

SS

:)

Hi All,

Stax of Sa's in the Redlands area of Brisbane especially, Cleveland, Ormiston,Thornlands, Wellington Point! Ppl over here (even Aussies) don't ask if you are from SA anymore, they know the accent. Sometimes I get asked if I'm from Durban or JHB since they seem to be able to even pick up the regional differences in the accent over here!

Brisbane (greater Brisbane) and the Gold Coast seems to be a very popular destination for SA's. When we moved here over 2 years ago our removalist reckoned that according to their knowledge Brisbane and GC was the most popular destination for SA's at that time. Don't know how true that was or is though!

C'bug

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi again,

I still haven't found the article I mentioned, but found another one you may find interesting :

Auckland's North Shore City, famous for its beaches and balmy climate, has attracted a large flow of South Africans in recent years. So much so that in this city of less than 200,000 people, around 20,000 were born in South Africa.

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandEmigrationSAf.html

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Guest Jules

I havent met any South Africans around here yet :ilikeit:

I think it's probably because we are in an outlying suburb of Brisbane , who knows. My daughter and I did hear a woman and her son speaking Afrikaans at the local Woolies a few weeks ago. She whispered to me "Mom, say something loud to me in Afrikaans and maybe they will talk to us " but I couldn't do it and the moment was lost ( there's that shyness thing again :ilikeit: ).

Chatterbug, you are right, Aussies seem to know the accent and more often than not I am asked where in South Africa I am from as opposed to where am I from.

Julie :)

I read an article a while back on Saffers being the largest immigrant group in Auckies. Can't find it now... :ilikeit: but will put the link on once I do.

SS,

I don’t think that could be entirely correct. :ilikeit:

According to Statistics New Zealand for the Year 2005: Countries contributing to the net inflow of 32,000 non-New Zealand citizens included the United Kingdom (10,000), Fiji (2,500), India (2,000), Japan (1,700), Germany (1,400), South Africa (1,200) and China (1,200).

With only 1 200 SA passport holders that year vs 10 000 Brits, 2500 Fijians, 2000 Indians and others, groups that all prefer Auckland (Greater Auckland), except maybe the Brits. But then I have also read that just over half of all SA’s stick to the Greater Auckland area the rest spread out across the rest of the Country. Greater Auckland is made up of 4 cities and parts of 3 districts. Manukau city’s eastern suburbs (Howick area) as well as North Shore City are popular with South Africans. Less popular in the other 2 cities (Waitakere and Auckland). The numbers don’t seem to stack up.

What you may have read is that SA’s are one of the largest immigrant groups or even that Afrikaans (after English) is the most common language on the East Coast Bays (which is only an area of North Shore City). Afrikaans is (after English) the 5th widely spoken language in North Shore City. (2001 census).

I know the figures above are for the whole of New Zealand and you were referring to Auckland, but I had a look at the North Shore and Auckland cities’ figures too and it still does not stack up.

Just for sake of interest. The figures I my par one is for 2005. Compare this to the 2003 figures: Contributors to the net inflow of 46,100 non-New Zealand citizens included China (11,300), the United Kingdom (8,400), India (5,500), Japan (2,400), Australia (2,200), Fiji (1,900) and South Africa (1,600).

It will be interesting to see the article if you can find it.

Guest Seoul Sister
SS,

I don’t think that could be entirely correct.

I am sure you are right. I still haven't found that article.. :ilikeit: and I can't even remember if it was an official document or just a newspaper article. I'm giving up, too much other stuff to do with our pending move and visas / immigration and other goodies. *sigh* Sorry about that ppl, wish I could find it. But I'm going with NZHigh, I'm sure his info is on the money. 20 000 Saffers in one area is a lot, tho' don't you think !

Talk soon.

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Hey Jules,

What suburb in Brisbane are you in?? Sheesch the other day I was told by a neighbour that there about 6 SA families living in our street, and I did not even know it!

Cheers

C'bug

Guest Jules

Hi chatterbug,

WOW, 6 in one street, thats amazing :):ilikeit:

We are out in the bundus here in Jimboomba, about 40kms south of the city centre. I dont even know if it really qualifies as a suburb of Brisbane or if it falls under Beaudesert (it is in Beaudesert shire so it's possible).

How about yourself ?

Julie :ilikeit:

Hey Jules,

Hey wow, I drove through your dorpie today for the 1st time ever, we were away in the Stanthorpe, Ballandean area for a nice extended long weekend. Loved all the wineries and nature etc.

We also went to check out Mt Barney (Mt Barney Lodge) just down the Mt Lindsey highway past Rathdowney, very very beautiful! The only thing I know about Jimboomba is the "turf" or "lawn" by that name. Yip I think it is officially part of Beaudesert shire!

What are you guys doing out there? I like the "platteland" and have a bit of a itch for a 'hobby farm' somewhere in the not too distant future! Just for weekends though!

We are out at Cleveland/Ormiston - in the Redlands shire South West of Brissy!

Cheers

C'bug

Guest Jules

Hi chatterbug :P

We've been in Jimboomba for just over a year now. The main reason we ended up here is that my brother in law lives here. We stayed with him for a few weeks when we first arrived and then ended up renting a house here too. At the moment we are in the process of building 2 houses in Beaudesert so we will be moving even further away from the city in a couple of months. Apparently the optometrist there is South African, so there will soon be 1 other South African where I live :whome:

Stanthorpe is lovely, but cold, especially as you are now spoiled by Brisbane temperatures! I love that whole Darling Downs/ New England area. I havent been to Mt Barney yet but I will definetely make a point of going now. We stayed on the West Coast in South Africa, near the Cederberg, for 12 years before coming here and love nature and the country. Hopefully we will be able to move to a more rural area one day, but for now we are focusing on buying and selling a few houses and also don't want to move the kids around too much.

I don't know Cleveland that well. We have driven through it a couple of times, coming up from Redland Bay, through Wellington point etc. Very nice area, it reminds me a lot of South Africa for some reason. :ilikeit:

Julie :ilikeit:

Seems like the people in the regional areas don't have PC's or don't like forums. On the other hand, I think they just work very hard and don't have time to hang around like me :blink:

Before coming to the Western Australian Goldfields, I tried to find more info, or contact some South Africans here. No-one could help me! Now that we finally landed here, thinking that we might be the only South African familes here (we came in a group), we discovered that the area seems to be very popular with the Safricans.

There are more or less 85 families here. You cannot speak Afrikaans in public, or someone approaches you, and asks "How long have you been here?" , that is if they have not already met you. We have get togethers, braais, movie nights you name it. Work is aplenty here, and we get new arrivals almost weekly! Not to speak about the Zim contingent, they are also aplenty. Nice place to live, the Goldfields. Looks and feels a bit like the Free State.

Greetings,

Dreamy