Buying a car from South Africa

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

It seems that as soon as one orders a vehicle, one has to wait a few days to take delivery of a vehicle :ilikeit: . Do you know if it is perhaps possible to order a vehicle from South Africa, prior to your arrival <_< ?

It would be critical for us to get our own "wheels" as soon as we arrive and if some of you can assist with some advice, I will be forever grateful!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Everyone,

It seems that as soon as one orders a vehicle, one has to wait a few days to take delivery of a vehicle :ilikeit: . Do you know if it is perhaps possible to order a vehicle from South Africa prior to your arrival <_< ?

It would be critical for us to get our own "wheels" as soon as we arrive and if some of you can assist with some advice, I will be forever grateful!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa. I had my daughter buy me a vehicle beforehand, in her name. It is easy to transfer it later on. I suggest you hire a car. Relatively cheap. About $55 per day. They don't like cash sales. Bank cheques is preferred. I bought a D/Cab last Thursday evening at 6 o clock. Took me two hours. There is always about 5 people that all wants to sell you something. Took posession on Friday at 5, registered. If they want the sale, they make a plan. Your problem is to open a bank account. You have to make an appointment which takes days. Even after a year with the same bank, I wait 3 to 4 days to see a manager. Waars daai dae wat ek net vir ou Ben gebel het en gesê het ek gooi 'n groot tjek in en hy laat hom fluit. Praat nie eers van die whisky wat ons agter geslote deure geniet het nie. "Those were the days my friend......"

Not sure which Bank you went to Jan Stoof but I have never had to wait to see a Manager or the right staff member. As for opening an account. As long as you have the 100% identification points it only takes a few min. Passport, birth certificate, driver licence (that is the main form of ID here) and post with your address on it, tax file number but you came give that to them later if you havent got one yet.

Jan is right about rather hiring a little car for a few days and then look around.

Seems like there is a bit of disparity around opening a bank account. We are with ANZ and were able to open an account from SA, they issued us with an account number before we arrived and we were able to transfer funds into it before leaving SA. When you get here you go into the bank, present you passport and they issue you with your bank cards it took us about 30 mins to do that. While you can transfer money into your account you can not do withdrawls until you have presented your passport for inspection.

Swerwer has ordered his new car this way, as he had to wait 2 months for it. Have a look at his blog http://pitkos.blogspot.com

There he explains everything nicely of how he did it.

Wat's nou met die engels, anyways. :D Jy kan beslis sien my kop is iewers anders.

Groete

xx

Hi D,

Swerwer has ordered his new car this way, as he had to wait 2 months for it. Have a look at his blog http://pitkos.blogspot.com

There he explains everything nicely of how he did it.

Wat's nou met die engels, anyways. <_< Jy kan beslis sien my kop is iewers anders.

Groete

xx

Did not know about the article about the car on Swerwer's blog - excellent. Will be my bedtime reading tonight!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa. I had my daughter buy me a vehicle beforehand, in her name. It is easy to transfer it later on. I suggest you hire a car. Relatively cheap. About $55 per day. They don't like cash sales. Bank cheques is preferred. I bought a D/Cab last Thursday evening at 6 o clock. Took me two hours. There is always about 5 people that all wants to sell you something. Took posession on Friday at 5, registered. If they want the sale, they make a plan. Your problem is to open a bank account. You have to make an appointment which takes days. Even after a year with the same bank, I wait 3 to 4 days to see a manager. Waars daai dae wat ek net vir ou Ben gebel het en gesê het ek gooi 'n groot tjek in en hy laat hom fluit. Praat nie eers van die whisky wat ons agter geslote deure geniet het nie. "Those were the days my friend......"

We hired a car for 3 days and bought one. It took a day because I wanted a towbar fitted. We bought a small car and a trailer as our luggage took up a big station wagon.

It works differently in that cars a registered at manufacture ( I think) so the process is quicker.

There was a hickup because we did not have a fixed address. Lucky I knew a few people here.

The car salesman drove me to the bank to collect the cheque for payment.

When we bought the second car there was a 2 week delay because of no stock

Bank.

I also set up and account from RSA and it took a few days including all the faxing of documents etc.

3 forms of ID. I used a drivers licence passport ID book and a credit card and the funds are stuck until you present yourself in person with ID. We applied for bank cards and they were sent to my brothers place where we were staying a few weeks.

All the big banks have web pages about migrant bank accounts now.

I just emailed CBA and got an email asking for a phone number and outlining the procedure.

A lady called and went over the requirements and a day later I was emailed the account details.