Pre-school and kindergarten

Dries

Hi all

My boy and girl will be turning 5 in Dec 2007. We will be in Sydney from August 2007 on a 457. According to various websites they will be old enough for kindergarten (pre-school) next year.

I have contacted a school “Redrobin” and their fees are $65 per child per day. For my 2 it will be $130 per day. This is the schools fees as from their website: “Our fees for 2006 are $55.00 per day for 9.00 am to 3.00 pm and $65.00 per day for Long Day Care”.

Is this the norm?

We will not have Child Care Benefit on our 457, so it will have to be paid.

Is there any one that can give me any idea what the normal school fees are for children at this age? For big public school I will have to pay $4500 per child. Does this also go for pre-school?

Thanks for all your previous help and support on this forum.

Cheers

Dries

Hi Dries

We will also be in Sydney from November this year. Luckily my daughter (7yrs) is on a PR so is excempt, so I can't help you with this. But for my Son who is 3, we will be paying from around $58 - $73 per day (7am - 6pm) depending on where we live.

I know if you don't have PR, the primary schools are expensive

Daycare is different from public school - their fee structure too. The $4500 for public school is paid to the NSW Education Dept, not the school. The daycare fee is paid to the daycare centre and the same fee applies to everyone (Citizen/PR/457...). I know there is a rebate for daycare once you have PR, but for a 457 you will unfortunately not qualify for that.

Daycare is extremely expensive in Aus :) - I'm glad my kids are older! :ilikeit:

Hi there

I pay $45 for my 4 year old to go two days a week. So for 2 days its $90 and he goes from 9 - 3 just like normal schools, so its quite convenient. Your 5 year old can go to Kindy next year and you can look at an independant school which would be cheaper than the $4500 for 457 visa holders at public schools. You need to look at long term though, are you planning to get PR etc. We pay $2700 for my eldest son to attend a independant school. We are on the North Shore. Hope this helps.