Been in Sydney a week now

LiezelM

Hi Everyone

Well, after all the waiting and stress, we have finally arrived and have been here a week now. ;)

Riekie I agree with you. The goodbyes at farewell parties really make it easier on you. We only had my parents and my brother at the airport, and it made it a lot easier.

Well, thank God we have family here, it really makes settling in easier.

Ok, so we LOVE Sydney! It looks like the Midlands (in the Hills) at least, and Manly and Sydney looks like Cape Town (the good parts).

The Ozzies

Everywhere you look, you see trees :ilikeit: I LOVE that! So far we have found the Ozzies to be very friendly and very helpful. They seem more relaxed, and don't seem to be as judgemental as some of us can be back home. They are law abiding citizens, and that's why everything here is organised, and it works. It's very clean!!! The streets, the food courts, everywhere!!

The driving

I also found that the slower driving (as opposed to Kyalami outdoing the other people Jhb roads) is actually more relaxing, and driving isn't as stressful B) Don't forget the sunglasses though!! B) Oh, but some rules are a bit different, and there are so many signs next to the road, that once can lose focus on the driving, you're so busy trying to get used to the school zones which is slower during school hours, and one doesn't always see the other people trying to get into your lane, and here, everyone is courteous, and lets everyone in, apparently - that's the Ozzie way ;)

Bank Accounts

Opening up bank accounts and setting up Internet banking, phone banking, was so easy with Commonwealth Bank. The lady even said that with the amount of Sa'ens coming to Oz, there won;t be any left, soon :holy:

Shopping

The shopping!!!!!! Ladies, be warned!!!!!!! :unsure: The clothes selections here are just SOOOO much better than in SA, and you can find anything in any colour. If you have SA Afrkaner hips like I do, the pants here fit like a dream :ilikeit:

Fruit & Veg

The fruit & the veg!!!! If you love cooking, and have always been frustrated that you cannot find all the ingredients in the recipe books in SA, no worries here :ilikeit: It is SO fresh, and I don't know why, but the tomatoes here are a lot tastier than in SA

Fast Food and Exercise

An abundance thereof!!! Watch out for unwanted kilos!! There is a much bigger selection here than in SA, from Thai to Mexican at lunchtime, it's easy to pick up weight. Luckily, people walk a lot here, cycle a lot, because they can! :P I have never seen so many women walk with dogs or baby prams, it takes a while to get used to :huh:

Emotions

Expect to feel up & down. My word, what a rollercoaster :blink: There are days where you are so excited, you can hardly contain yourself, then you a hit a panic: " My word, what did I do? I'm starting from scratch again!!! Where will we get money for a house, a car, kids etc etc etc. Sydney is so big, will I ever get to know the roads??" Then, you look at the trees, the people walking in the roads, and think, Rome wasn't built in a day. Be patient, and take it one day at a time.

Conclusion

We both know we made the right decision. We know we are going to be happier here, this is the kind of place we have always dreamed of to settle in. I only miss my family & friends (that's the hardest). The only thing I miss of Jhb, is the familiarity of it, knowing how to get everywhere, and where everything is. But I do not miss the rest.

I know this will be worthwhile, and for those out there still getting here, hang in there!! :ilikeit:

Thank you to all the forum members for all the info, this forum has been invaluable to us, and has made moving a lot easier!!! Without this forum, we would have been completely lost! :whome:

Cheers

Liezel

Hi Liezel, thanks for the great post. This is the way we would like to be informed of how thing are done there and how it works. Like u say, Rome wasn't build in one day, they are actually still busy. Good luck and hang in there. Looking forward to your next update, Thanks.

Hallo Liezel en Charl

Great om jou post te lees. Byt vas bokka, die emotions raak makliker en jy raak gewoond aan die paaie. Ons het net so lekker verdwaal. Was nogal interesant en mens leer die area ken.

Maandag begin jy werk ne? Hope sterkte en dis so lekker julle is nou hier in Aussie. At least dieselfde kontinent.

Liefde

Nilo

Hallo,

Bly om te sien julle settle. Ek dink die tipe post help nogal die mense wat nog wik-en-weeg.

Groete

Johan

Welkom in Aus en in die Hills!! :ilikeit:

Moenie worry nie, mens is aan die begin heel rigting bedinges, maar dit vat jou nie lank nie, dan skuur jy rond asof jy hier gebore is!! Ek ry die wereld vol en kyk nie eers meer na die straatname en padtekens nie!

Die verlange en "ups & downs" raak beter met die tyd. Ons moet dalk weer 'n koffie kuier rëel hier in die Hills sodat almal mekaar kan leer ken - hier het intussen so baie nuwelinge aangeland! Dit help nogal as mens ander Saffers leer ken wat in dieselfde bootjie is as jy. Al trap ons almal nie mekaar se drumpels deur nie, is ons daar vir mekaar.

Sterkte vir die nuwe werk. Moenie dag 2 bedank nie (ek wou!! :lol: ) - byt vas dit word beter. Die aussies doen nou maar net dinge anders.... (Dryf mens teen die mure uit, maar haal diep asem en "go with the flow".... :D )

Ja, oppas maar vir daai rolletjies... hulle pak vinnig aan. Soveel lekker kos!!! :)

Dankie vir jou interessante terugvoer - het nou baie geniet om te lees. :)

Baie dankie julle!! Dit maak my hartjie so warm om te weet dat daar ander Suid AFrikaners hier is wat deur dieselfde ding is, en om te weet dat ons daar is vir mekaar. Riekie - dankie vir die welkom, 'n koffietjie klink heerlik ;) Nou ie aand toe jy gebel het, was ek oortuig jy was 'n Ozzie :lol: Wat 'n verassing toe ek hoor dis jy :holy:

Ek begin more werk, en sien uit daarna. Ek het 'n jaar laas gewerk :P Sal maar sien hoe doen hulle dinge hier :huh: Watch this space ;)

Het darem gister 'n karretjie gekoop, 'n Honda Jazz 1.3l :ilikeit: Ek is baie opgewonde, en nou dat ons darem hierdie stap geneem het, voel ek sommer weer lus vir lag :lol: Dit was so snaaks gewees om te sien hoe negotiate my skoonpa met hulle :) Die Saffer in my is nie gewoond daaraan nie :D Maar dit het gehelp, en ons het 'n baie goeie deal gekry :) Ek kry die kar DOnderdag, maar soos almal weet wat al 'n nuwe kar gekoop, dit kan nie vinnig genoeg kom nie. Ek dink ook ek sal die paaie beter leer ken sodra ek self rondry.

Nou ja, uit 'n koue Sydney uit, en aan Johan ook, ons sal binnekort in kontak kom ;)

Dankie vir al julle ondersteuning en advies :) Dit word baie waardeer :D

Hallo jong

Lekker om te lees hoe iemand Aus weer firsthand experience, brings back lots of memories. :lol:

Baie geluk met die karretjie jong en sterkte met die job môre. Hoop alles gaan ok. Verstaan heeltemal hoe erg mens jou nuwe karretjie wil hê, ek moes 'n maand wag vir myne :wacko: Ek het later dilly geraak :lol: Nou gaan jy lekker kan rond rits daar in Syds :)

Groete daarso vir skoonma'lle en vir Charl

x