Dual Passports

Hi,

I have got a UK and a South African Passport. My visa for Oz is in my UK passport.

When I leave South Africa on My SA Passport for OZ, do I require any other documentation from SA home affairs as i have 2 passports?

Guest Jules

Hi Tazz,

I just answered your question on the other forum but I'll paste it in here too.

I have been in Australia for just over a year and also have UK and SA passports and have my visa in the UK passport. I left SA with the SA passport and landed here with the UK one with no other documentation and no trouble. It used to be that you needed a permission document to be in possession and make use of a second foreign passport, but this has fallen away as long as you use the SA passport for entering and leaving SA.

Hope this helps :ilikeit:

Julie

Hi Tazz & Julie,

Yes the new law is that you must travel in and out of South Africa using your South African passport and that it is no longer necessary to hold an authorisation letter from home affairs to hold another passport.

However, the law is also that if you apply and take the citizenship of another country without FIRST getting authorisation you then automatically loose your SA citizenship.

Hope this makes sense. I can get you the links where I found the info if you want.

:ilikeit: Paula

Thanks Guys,

We are looking forward to our trip to Adelaide next month.

Cheers