South African Equivalents

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

I realize that once we get to Australia, we will have to start doing grocery shopping and I won’t have a clue what to buy as all the brands will be different :blush::D .

I remember when Ajay arrived her colleagues helped her with all the different brands and it was very helpful :) . I am sure my husband’s colleagues will be able to help, but I would also like to hear from all of you who already found good alternatives to the below.

Is there anyone of you that can help me with equivalents of the following:

1. Five Roses tea
  2. Jacobs Decaffeinated Instant Coffee
  3. All Gold tomato sauce
  4. Nola Light Mayonaisse
  5. Milo (ready made and instant powder)
  6. Mrs. Ball’s Chutney
  7. Worchestire Sauce
  8. Floro Margarine
  9. Peanut Butter
  10. Graca White Wine
  11. Oxo / Marmite
  12. Surf / Omo
  13. Skip
  14. Sun (dishwasher soap and polish)
  15. Sunlight Liquid
  16. Domestos
  17. Dove Body Soap
  18. Staysoft
  19. Handy Andy
  20. Windowlene
  21. Aquafresh / Mentadent P Toothpaste
  22. Prep Shaving Cream

I usually replace sugar with Xylitol. Is Xylitol freely available in the supermarkets or will I need to buy it from a health shop?

If I think of any other goodies, I will just add it to the list.

Thank you ;) !

Lovies, Pippa! X

Five Roses tea many teas to choose from even rooibos

Jacobs Decaffeinated Instant Coffee many to choose from

All Gold tomato sauce Heinz Big red

Nola Light Mayonaisse Miracle Whip

Milo (ready made and instant powder) Milo

Mrs. Ball’s Chutney Mrs Ball chutney alot of supermarkets sell it :ilikeit:

Worchestire Sauce Worchestire sauce

Floro Margarine many to choose from. we use canola spread

Peanut Butter is peanut butter is peanut butter

Graca White Wine <_<haven't a clue..I drink coke

Oxo / Marmite get marmite here...Vegimite same thing

Surf / Omo both here

Skip <_<can't remember if here

Sun (dishwasher soap and polish) :thumbdown:don't think it here

Sunlight Liquid I use palmolive with aloe vera for dry skin :ilikeit:

Domestos get it here

Dove Body Soap HERE :ilikeit: much bigger Dove range here

Staysoft not the make stasoft but quite a few to choose from

Handy Andy use domestos

Windowlene Ajax triple action window cleaner

Aquafresh / Mentadent P Toothpaste biggest range is colgate but not herbal :thumbdown:

Prep Shaving Cream lots of others

I found that in most cases you have a bigger variety here than in SA.

Hope this helps abit and doesn't confuse you even more.

Lindy-Lee

;)

Hi LL,

Many thanks for the feedback and quick response.

Peanut Butter is peanut butter is peanut butter
I actually meant Black Cat Peanut Butter :thumbdown: , but have changed it now :thumbdown: .

Seems like I won’t really be lost and that I will find most of the things…

Lovies, Pippa! X

Thanks, we were wondering about the same thing the other day.....

So you helped us out too.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:<_<

It's a pleasure being able to help. ;)

The ONLY 2 things that you will never find replacements for (for me personally) is Mrs Ball chutney and aromat

Luckily IGA (in WA) our local supermarket stocks Mrs Balls and the aromat I use very seldom and get it at a SA shop if I need it.

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Edited by Lindy-Lee

Personally I've always been a 5 Roses Tea person and brought quite a few boxes with me. I have tried a few of the local brands but i can honestly say none of them quite measure up. Along with that, i think it's best that i add that i tend to be quite a fussy cow! But... No worries, i found a Springbok shop and they have ALL the things that i like to refer to as my creature comforts. 5 Roses Tea, Black Cat Peanut Butter, Koffiehuis, Tennis biscuits, All the varieties of Mrs Balls, NikNaks, Cream Soda and Tab, and for the hubby Tastic Rice. I personally don't eat rice, so i don't know, but since we got here, hubby no longer eats rice cos he says the stuff here tastes "eughh!!!" You can imagine the size of his smile when he saw the tastic!!

I think the Springbok shops are quite common so you should be able to locate one no matter which state you're gona live in. As Lindy Lee rightly says, there are TONS of options when it comes to choices. Sometimes, when you're shopping you can actually be overwhelmed by the vast availability of different choices for one specific item!

Good luck! It's all part of the wonderful experience in this Marvelous country!

Take Care

Pam

Guest colton

There are lots of RSA shops around if you really can't live without your favourites but it is really exciting trying out the new things. We have found some new things which are even better than what you could get in RSA. The variety here is totally overwhelming and for me the biggest headache when shopping was which toilet paper to buy. :ilikeit: It sounds ridiculous but I just couldn't get over the choice, a whole aisle just dedicated to loo paper; 2 ply, 3ply, 4ply, ribbed, extra long, extra thick, scented, patterned, bio-degradable and the list goes on. How I miss the days of 1ply or 2ply. :ilikeit:

I realize that once we get to Australia, we will have to start doing grocery shopping and I won’t have a clue what to buy as all the brands will be different :ilikeit::ilikeit: .

Don't worry about this - just walk into Coles, give yourself more time than usual, try out the new things and enjoy the discoveries. Most of the stuff just have different names, but I found a much bigger variety of food over here. e.g. when buying yogurt and fruit juice, I try to buy a new flavour everytime. Tea - you MUST try the Chai Latte! For stuff the Aussies don't have, well just find out where your nearest Springbok winkel is, there's a nice place here in Stanley street in St. Ives that sells Ouma biscuits and Pronutro.

As for wine, I was very fond of Durbanville Hills and Newton Johnson, etc. in SA but now I'm clueless with the Aussie wines! Graca is a blend of 3 different varieties, currently Sauvignon Blanc (60%), Sémillon (20%) and Crouchen Blanc (or Cape Riesling - 20%). But once again, EXPERIMENT and try wines from the various wine areas in Australia and New Zealand. The main ones are (for white wine):

Queensland

South Burnett - around the town of Kingaroy. Try their Sémillon (seh-mee-jô).

Granite Belt - has a strong Italian community, they also have Sémillon and apparently the Shiraz (red) is quite good.

New South Wales

Hastings River - dominated by Chardonnay; the Sémillon has lower than usual sugar (and hence alcohol) levels of around 10 degrees Baumé.

Hunter - upper and lower vallies. Famous for its Sémillon.

Victoria

Yarra Valley - Chardonnay, also try the Pinor Noir

Murray Darling - Chardonnay and Colombard

Swan Hill - Chardonnay

Rutherglen - known for its fortified wines, e.g. Muscat (Muscadel in South Africa). Muscat is a great winter aperitif and an after dinner wine at any time of year!

Alpine Vallyes - Chardonnay

South Australia

Barossa valley - Chardonnay, Riesling and Sémillon. Plus great Shiraz (red).

Adelaide hills - Sauvignon Blanc

McLaren Vale - Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc

Clare Valley - Riesling

Coonawarra - Chardonnay

Tasmania

Chardonnay and Pinot Noir

Western Australia

Swan district - Chenin Blanc, also try the blended Houghton White Burgundy - maybe it's your Graca...

Margaret river - Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon

More details at www.auswine.com.au and www.winebiz.com.au - subscribe to one of the newsletters or join a wine club!

A far as white wine is concerned, New Zealand makes an excellent Sauvignon Blanc in my opinion.

It's a pleasure being able to help. :ilikeit:

The ONLY 2 things that you will never find replacements for (for me personally) is Mrs Ball chutney and aromat

Luckily IGA (in WA) our local supermarket stocks Mrs Balls and the aromat I use very seldom and get it at a SA shop if I need it.

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Ditto Robinsons Barbeque Spice.

We always buy it at he shop that sells Safeer goodies here in Adelaide.

Dax

Hey Pippa! Min dae vir julle ne!!

Ek het deur "trial & error" uitgevind wat die beste vir my werk, en hoop dit help jou om jou keuses makliker te maak.

1. Lipton Tea (ons drink eintlik rooibos, maar omdat mens dit nie hier in restaurante kry nie, het ek English Breakfast Tea leer drink (nogal heel lekker!!) Ek vind Lipton se tee die lekkerste. Hulle maak ook allerhande gegeurde & kruie tee. Hulle maak ook heerlike gegeurde Ystee wat mens in blikkies of botteltjies (en selfs 1 liter bottels) kan koop. Ons gunsteling is "peach"

2. Ek het ook Jacobs gedrink in RSA - ek drink nou Moccona

3. Ek het in RSA All Gold gebruik en ook Heinz - nou gebruik ek Heinz

4. Ek het in RSA Crosse & Blackwell gebruik en nadat ek seker a dosyn bottels mayonaise in die asblik gegooi het, het ek besluit om dit nog steeds te gebruik, so ek koop dit by die RSA winkel vir $8.95 of in Bella Vista by die supermark vir $5.95 'n bottel. Die enigste ander Mayonaise wat ek soms koop is Heinz. Ek weet nie hoe die smaak van Nola van Crosse & Blackwell verskil nie, so dalk is daar 'n ander (beter) opsie vir jou hier in Aus.

5. Mens kry Milo hier in poeier vorm en ook in Breakfast Bars, sjokelade ens maar ek het nog nie dit in "ready to drink" gesien nie.

6. Mrs Balls - Niks kan Mrs Balls vervang nie! :ilikeit:

7. Mens kry presies dieselfde Worcestershire sous hier, en ook ander

8. Flora

9. RSA het ons Black Cat se "smooth gebruik, en nou koop ek Kraft se "smooth"

10. Het nie Graca gedrink nie, so kan nie hier help nie... :)

11. Marmite by die RSA winkel vir $4.95 of by die Supermark vir $3.50

12. Ek het daai vreeslike duur emmertjies seep gebruik in RSA - kan nou nie die naam onthou nie... Mens het net sulke klein skeppies daarvan nodig gehad.... Ek gebruik nou Dynamo Ultra

13. Het nie Skip gebruik nie..

14. Finish (ek dink dit was altyd ook eers Finish in RSA - of dat die verpakking en "logo" in RSA dieselfde was, maar dit is die "Sun" weergawe hier in Aus. Mens kry verskeie ander make ook, maar ek vind die Finish die beste. Die 4-in-1 vlek my eetgerei, en potte, so ek gebruik die 3-in-1. Ek gebruik ook hulle "rinse aid"

15. Morning Fresh - na baie ander probeerslae, die beste een volgens my

16. Domestos

17. Dove in al sy vorme is hier ook te kry

18. Fluffy. Die Pienk een. Die ander kleure vlek my wit goed met sulke snaakse grys kolle (wat mens nie sommer sien nie, maar as die son jou klere op 'n manier vang, dan sien jy dit). Ek gebruik ook Woolworths se "brand" - weer die Pienk een.

19. Handy Andy is hier ook te kry - die bottel lyk net anders, so jy sal dit maklik miskyk.

20. Windex

21. Listerine Gel (ek & manlief) & Macleans Extreme Clean (die kinders) (Het Aquafresh Whitening in RSA gebruik, en die kinders het Colgate....) Mens kry Colgate hier ook, maar hulle hou van die "skop" van die Macleans en vind die Listerine se "skop" weer net te erg!

22. Jammer, kan nie hier help nie. Ek dink amper die RSA winkel hou Prep aan.....

Hoop dit help. Elke ou se smake en voorkeure is maar anders, so jy mag dalk gladnie eers hierdie goed gebruik nie. Die beste raad wat ek jou kan gee: As jy iets kry wat werk, "stick with it"! Daar is dalk ander wat net so goed werk, maar meeste van die tyd land dit in die asblik en is jy maar terug by dit wat die ding gedoen het... :D

Mooi Bly!

• 2 weeks later...

Well can someone tell me where in Perth I can find a walk in RSA shop, It seems that there everything is everywhere in Australia except PERTH !!!!!!

Santosh

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Pippies

I think the Finish is now called Calgonit (worldwide).

Try "Whole egg SW Mayonaise" - This is a tip from Annette and she's right :thumbdown: . Unfortunately it's more like Hellman's than Crosse & Blackwell, but you can add some lemon juice if you want it more sour. It's the best one I've tried here, the rest is really not great. :(

I also like Spree washing powder, cheap & cheerfull - it seems to do a good job.

The only thing I scratched my head over was Vim (You don't even think of it until you have to scrub a pot) :ph34r::o:whome: . It is here, but called - Ajax! (Thanks, Andrea!)

I haven't found Handy Andy, but use the Green Earth light green spray bottle for bath & counter cleaning, etc.

You will soon find brands to like and stick to them.

Have fun, nog hoeveel slapies om te gaan?

Bron

Edited by Bronwyn

Has anyone that's gone over taken "foodstuffs" in their container....

What is allowed and what do you wish you'd taken MORE of....

Hello Bronwyn...

Some shops sell something similar to handy andy called Jif. For tea I only buy Dilmah..a bit more expensive but also the only one I like.

You cant find Sun dishwasher tabs here. You can get finish or calgonit. Dont even try the no name brands..they dont work.

For Mayo I use Miracle Whip. Dont like the others and sadly nothing beats Nola mayo....

Hi

Ek glo nie jy mag kos inbring nie. Bring eerder baie skoonmaakgoed, medisyne (nie voorskrif), vitamine pille,seep, shampoo en sulke goed. Dit sal vir jou baie geld kos. Domestos, shampoo, etc kos $5+.

Die goed in die SA shops is duur (as jy dit met 6 maal, maar vergelyk goed met soortgelyke goed in Coles)

Die pakkers van die trek company skryf jou goed op, my 3 poot pot was `n "african pot' en natuurlik wou customs dit sien. Ek het `n staal (daardie geroesde bakke wat jy langs die pad koop) gehad, dit is beskryf as `n plant pot, en natuurlik is dit ook opgemaak. Hulle kyk na jou skoene, leer, braaier, en enige iets wat dalk grond kan aan he.

Hoop dit help.

Hi julle

Net 'n klein waarskuwing die kontainers kan nogal warm raak so wees net baie versigtig met die pak van die skoonmaak goed ens wat jul dalk wil saambring want dit kan dalk vuur veroorsaak as die verkeerde goed lek en meng!!

Loksie weet jy ek dink regtig nie die goed is sooooo duur hier nie. Maar dan moet ek se ons verdien $ dalk gebruik julle nog SA fondse want yep dan is dinge duur.

Nilo

[[*]Five Roses tea - Lipton en ja, ek drink ook English Breakfast :D

[*]Jacobs Decaffeinated Instant Coffee - Moccona

[*]All Gold tomato sauce - Heinz, daar is geen verskil vir my nie

[*]Nola Light Mayonaisse - Ek gebruik net die SW whole Egg soos Bronwyn gese het :blush: , maar dis verseker nie "light" nie :ilikeit:

[*]Milo (ready made and instant powder) - Baie gewild hier

[*]Mrs. Ball’s Chutney - Kry dit oral, maar net die gewone or tamatie een

[*]Worchestire Sauce - Lea & Perrins, die einste

[*]Floro Margarine - ons gebruik Canola, sommer die goedkoopste een

[*]Peanut Butter - wat ookal op "special" is :lol:

[*]Graca White Wine - ons koop witwyn per liter ($1.60!) by 'n wynplaas hier naby :P

[*]Oxo / Marmite - Vegemite proe maar vir my dieselfde - ewe sleg! :D

[*]Surf / Omo - ek gebruik die groot 4 kg Woolworths own brand pak of anders Spree, maar jy kry Omo en Surf hier

[*]Skip - ? weet nie wat dit is nie

[*]Sun (dishwasher soap and polish) - Wat ookal op "special" is, maar nie die "own brands" nie - dit werk nie (op die oomblik het ons Calgonit)

[*]Sunlight Liquid - Morning Fresh, ek stem saam met Riekie. Niks anders werk nie!

[*]Domestos - Domestos

[*]Dove Body Soap - gebruik niks anders nie! ;)

[*]Staysoft - Fluffy Ultra Jasmine fresh want dit ruik die lekkerste. Ek koop refills en maak dit aan

[*]Handy Andy - Jif cream

[*]Windowlene - Windex wipes - die beste uitvindsel ooit! Ek gebuik dit vir die TV, koffietafel, spieels en vensters. :whome:

[*]Aquafresh / Mentadent P Toothpaste - Ons gebruik Colgate, maar daar is baie verskillendes

[*]Prep Shaving Cream - Marius gebruik Body Shop goed want sy vel is baie sensitief.

Julle mag nie enige kosse of kruie inbring nie en soos Nilo se oppas vir die hitte. Van ons kerse het gesmelt. 'n Mens mag nie sekere chemikaliee inpak nie. Kyk eerder op die website

• 2 weeks later...
Well can someone tell me where in Perth I can find a walk in RSA shop, It seems that there everything is everywhere in Australia except PERTH !!!!!!

Santosh

Hi Santosh

There is one in Joondalup called SA Essentials there are also a few south of the river.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone that's gone over taken "foodstuffs" in their container....

What is allowed and what do you wish you'd taken MORE of....

I would not do this.

The temerature range of your container will be from 45 deg everyday down to 5 deg or colder at night. Then when it arrives after a few months it must pass quarantine. If they dont like it and insist on fumigating at a small fortune. Rather buy here from the professionals like Springbok etc.

Milk is worth a mention No fat Low fat Full cream, Soy, Rice, Added omega 3 and on and on. About 10 types at least.

Peanut butter. The family reckon theres nothing here like Black Cat so we buy that. Pro Nutro is also unlike anything here, but tehre are so many cereals, teas. Dilmah is close to 5 Roses, we get both here at similar prices.

Guest colton

We packed a huge box full of groceries and brought it over. All arrived safely and the kids were very happy to eat Jelly Tots for weeks afterwards. Made the settling in process easier as we slowly adjusted our taste buds to new things, plus it helped with the budget as I had nearly a months supply of stuff. The only thing they confiscated out of my container was the Mayo, egg products :) , but Aromat, All Gold tinned foods, Tomato sauce, Soup Powders, sweets, chocolates, Hot Chocolate, spices etc was all fine. We did have to declare it and it was opened and inspected, only thing was the Mayo and that cost us a small fortune to have destroyed.

Bring what you want just make sure it is allowed and declare everything. You shouldn't have a problem.