Perth LSD August 2007

Cyclops

This is my first post. First off, thanks to Riekie and everyone on this Forum - it's a real goldmine of info.

My wife and I, together with two of my brothers and a friend, are planning an LSD to Perth in August 2007. I've asked www.perthfullyfurnished.com for a week's self-catering accommodation for the 5 of us. Any other suggestions on where we can get decent accommodation for a week around 18-25 August?

We know nothing about Perth other than it's one of the most isolated cities in the world (which sounds very attractive ... no easy barbarian invasions).

I'll of course surf this Forum to find out what to see and where to look. We're after a decent neighbourhood with houses in the A$1m range. Where do we start?

Though my children are pretty much grown (the youngest in matric this year, the eldest just finished 1st year university in the USA), my brother has a young family (2 kids just starting primary school), so we'll want a neighbourhood with good schools.

We'll obviously want to rent a car for the 5 of us - any suggestions on where we can get good deals on a week's rental? (Edit: just seen Yvonne's post on Perth car rentals - thanks.)

Is it worth looking at plots or small-holdings around or outside Perth? Do they have such things? Where?

One small point: does Perth get humid in summer? We'll be there in late winter, so it'll be hard to tell.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

Edited by Cyclops

Dear Cyclops

Welcome to the forum. Regarding Perth A$1M can buy you a fair house/small holding really depends on the lifestyle you want . "Small Holding do exsist, remembering that they are slightly further out of the city.

You can get wat is called a "Rural Block" and "Semi Rural Block" . Rural blocks can be farmed etc etc. Semi Rural you cannot palnt or do anything with , without council permission - which I beleive is seldom granted.

You can still get "Semi ' Rural Blocks in some residential areas. IE Waneroo and Carramar up north, alternatively you need to lock in the "Hills" or Byford way.

There are some disadvatages , ie the flies in Summer, Labour is expensive as you need to maintain firebreaks ect etc, but obvious advantages, space , wildlife etc

Regarding humidity, there are very few days that are humid, perhaps on average we have had about 5 or 7 days in the year that I can recall in the past 7 years.

Regarding areas to look at your can by the best house in a cheaper suburb or and average house in an expensive suburb!!!! Really depends on what you want. The closer you are the the ocean or River the more you pay.

Good luck

If you are looking for a small holding type of place (budget permitting :o ) take a look at the Swan Valley. You will be in the heart of Perth's wine route :jester: . Lovely places there. Feels like it miles and miles from a city but only 40 -60 minutes from city.

Lindy-Lee

:o