IT in Australia

Retha_hhr

Question for all the IT people already working in Australia.

1) How do your SA skills match up to the Australian standard? I mean were you working in SA on technology that were more advanced than what you are using in Australia now? E.g. In Namibia I already programmed in Progress GUI in 1999 and when we moved to Canada, the part of the country where we are, are still running Progress character base to this day.

2) Are the employers in Australia willing to train their IT people? I have found again in our nack of the woods that the employers do not believe in ongoing training for their IT staff. If you learn something new, you have to resign and get a job where you can get work experience for the new skill you have acquired.

3) What skills are currently high in demand? This is now programming as well as networking/system administration? Please indicate in what state you are, because I assume it differs from state to state. I am a programmer and hubby is in networking/system administration and helpdesk support (he's not very fond of the latter)

4) Have any of you learned a new skill/programming language while still in SA (no working experience for this new skill) and have you experienced that it was acceptable to Australian employers?

5) For those of you in in Canberra and Adelaide, how does the IT market look like? I know it is a lot smaller than Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, but it should be possible to get a job there. e.g. Edmonton is not the IT hub in Canada and still there's IT jobs available.

Thanks,

Retha

Is there really no IT people on this forum that are already in Aus?

Regards,

Retha

Hi

I will try to answer some of your questions

1. In the programming that I do the skills that I have aquired are pretty much applicable.

2. The companies here seem to be better of on the software development maturity scale. (It just be the company that I work for). As far as training go, it seems that the people are willing to upskill employees.

3. In programming JAVA is in high demand, but check on www.seek.com.au, there you will find a lot more information on what they are looking for.

4. NullPointerException

5. ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

Hope this helps a bit...

Regards

Johan Swanepoel

Hello all,

Does anybody know about BMC Remedy in Sydney?

Regards

Estelle

Ek ken hulle nie, maar Sydney is groot.

Sal bietjie rondvra dalk ken iemand hulle. Ek belowe egter niks.

Groete

Johan