Tomtom, Navman or Garmin

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

Not all of you will agree with us, but we are really considering buying a GPS once we land in Australia. My husband and I are both somewhat “rigting-bedonderd” and will gladly use technology if it will get us to the right place.

Once again, we don’t know which brand to buy and which one is most supported in Australia. Garmin is very big in South Africa, but we only saw Tomtom and Navman adverts whilst on our LSD trip in April 2007.

If you are familiar with one of these products, do you perhaps know which model to buy?

We would definitely need the GPS to know which roads are one ways and functions like that.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hello jong, jy's darem 'n besige girly :)

Ons het TomTom One, en sonder daai dingetjie sal ons nêrens in Sydney uitgekom het nie. Dis regtig die geld die moeite wêrd. Alhoewel van die nuwe strate nog nie op hom was nie, kan mens hom net upgrade met 'n nuwe SD card.

Groete

D

xxx

Guest colton

We have a Navman and I feel it is definitely worth the money spent, especially when looking for rental properties. Never had any problems with the Navman either. Besides helping you get around it is great to be able to go exploring, taking all sorts of side roads and once you want to head home just keying in "home" to take you straight back on the quickest route. Priceless!!!

Hubby uses the Brisway but I find it difficult to look at a map and drive at the same time, especially in heavy traffic.

We chose the Navman because of the screen size, easy use and the ability to upgrade. We compared the Navman and TomTom and Navman seemed better to us.

Hi

We have a Garmin Streetpilot which we took across to Oz with us in December thinking it would be a breeze to buy and load the local maps. It wasn't so easy (only Paddy Pallin seemed to stock the maps). There were also quite a few times when we were driving through the bush according to the GPS - we wrote this off to the fact that being a lesser-popular brand people don't send through updates regularly.

But to be fair... we did do over 5000km and got everywhere we wanted to.

Another interesting point, though, we also had a hand-held Garmin we tried to use on foot in Sydney (to find Paddy Pallin's incidentally) which couldn't see any satellites due to the tall buildings.

Norm

Hi Pippa. I have two Tom Tom 0710's. Can't live without them. Saved my marraige. It has handsfree abililty too. I read a survey recently which gave it top marks for the fact that it is easy to use. I have friends with other models too. All work well. Depends what you want to pay. Prizes are coming down. My first ons cost $1000, 6 months ago. Second one cost $850 one month later. I see you can get them for about $650 now. A decent road map off any city costs about $30. With the wife navigating I usally got lost in Melbourne or Sydney. Now I never get lost again and my wife is not stressed at all and looks at the scenery while I concentrate on driving instead of fighting. Lets face it. Vroumense het nie voete nie maar pote. Hulle het ook twee linkerhande. Haha. Apology.

Ek gebruik ook die Tom Tom One. Hulle diens is goed en die Touch Screen is maklik om te gebruik. My eerste een het ek self uitgebrand deur die verkeerde charger te gebruik en hulle het dit nog steeds gratis vervang met 'n nuwe een. Mens geniet sommer 'n uitstappie met die Tom Tom, want kaartlees is uit as jy vinnig erens moet uitkom.

Guest Bronwyn

Pips

Stephen bought me a Tom Tom for Christmas and it saves my life. I use it all the time. I know my boet in the UK also has one, and when he moves here he says he will just buy new software :thumbdown:

Jan I am gonna buy you a big wooden spoon for Christmas, you stirrer.... :lol::wacko::) But you are right in my case.

I'm sorry I don't have experience of any other brands, just the Tom Tom, and it only lost signal once when the cloud cover was very thick on the way to Victor Harbour.

And of course it took us the scenic route to Bob's one day... :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Hope it helps, Bron

Hi Everone,

Thanks for the advice and your opinions :) . Sounds like one have to go for the TomTom in Australia!

Stephen bought me a Tom Tom for Christmas and it saves my life.

Bron, Stephen briefly showed yours to us in April and I specifically like the size and seemed very easy to operate. Do you know perhaps which model it is?

Lovies, Pippa ;) ! X

PS.

And of course it took us the scenic route to Bob's one day... :thumbdown::thumbdown:
How will I ever forget the scenic drive to Bob’s house :thumbdown::wacko::lol: – it will always stay with me ;) !!!