Rand AU$

JohanK

Quick poll just to get an idea on how much money you took over to Australia. So what I basically want to know is after you converted your strong Rand ?? :ilikeit: how much AU$ did you take with you to Oz?

I exchanged all my Rand this week and ended up with AU$ 93000.00 in total, and on what did you spend it or intend to spend on. One thing I am going to do is put aside AU$ 30000.00 for save keeping.

We basically brought the profit from the sale of our house and banked it here (divided by 5!!). We hardly used any of it, because hubby started work when he landed here. His employer covered our accommodation for the first month - we were very fortunate!! You will basically have to make provision for accommodation which can be anything form $125 per week to $250 per day - depending on where you decide to stay. If you stay with friends/family, you don't have that worry. Then you have to eat, pay for transport, etc until you move into your house, which in itself has a number of costs (deposit, bond, connecting telephone, etc.) If you want to I can give you more exact detail depending on what you're looking for. Then also, you have to buy a car, registration etc. There is a lot of initial costs that you will have to keep in mind, but try not to use your RSA savings for it - or at least limit your expenses from that nest egg.

It's a bit late and I'm not that awake anymore :ilikeit: - just wanted to log off and go to bed, but then I could not resist the temptation to open a few posts! I'll probably be of more use tomorrow - let me know if you need any specific info, and I'll try my best to help!

We used the proceeds of our house sales etc and bought both our cars cash and paid up both childrens school fees up front. Then you have all the thing Riekie mentioned, connecting fox if you want it, mobiles, registering cars, insurance, water, lights, gas. Then its all the other little things changing plugs, school uniforms, etc. Depends if you have a job to come to and if you are needing to buy any furniture etc when you land. It the little things that add up and the money goes quickly.

Hi

Where did you get the best rates for exchanging your R to AUS$? Which bank? is asking the least to exchange, I know Flight Centre can also exchange if you arrange with them beforehand?

Thanks

Vossie

We only brought bank cheques, which we deposited directly into our aussie bank account. I've heard from many people that Thomas Cook is the best - don't know if that's true, but maybe worth investigating as an option (apparently they don't charge commission - or very little...)

Well exchanging was a story, all my money was in my Nedbank account. I also went to Rennies Bank and probably they would have given me a better rate but then I had to transfer all my money from Nedbank in to there account. I was just not up for all that slep, and the costs to transfer the money were also a factor. I watched the exchange rate for a very long time and it was at round about R 4.68 to the Dollar for a long time and then last week it came down to R 4.40 and I rushed in to the bank to do the exchange. By the time the bank called me for a rate they soled to me at R 4.46 so I think I scored a bit.

I arranged for two bank drafts, one for our yearly travel allowance and a second one on a foreign investment application I made to Sars. Now on the foreign investment I can still legally take more money out the country if I need to because I did not use the full amount granted to me by Sars. I will be giving two trustworthy people in SA signing rights on my SA bank account before we leave so if I run into some more money they can just ask Nedbank to transfer it to my ANZ account as a foreign investment.

I know flight center refers you to American Express because we booked our tickets with them and apparently they will then give you a better rate. O, and I then also asked for AU$ 3000.00 in cash.

Hi Johan

We just did a wire transfer into my bank account which I opened last year in October when I came over for interviews for the bulk of our funds at ANZ. We did it through ABSA foreign exchange and it was a much cheaper option.

We also exchanged a few thousand rands through Rennies and loaded it onto a Cash Passport ATM/Credit card and took about $ 5000 in Cash. Sounds like you anyway on the right track - good luck!!!

Cheers

Rialet