Buying Bicycles in Australia

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

Once we arrive in Australia, my husband and I would really like to buy bicycles for ourselves. I can’t remember when I last cycled :) , but there is always a first second time… :)

We have not idea what brand of bicycles are considered good quality :D . Since we will only be starting out, we would like good quality bikes, but nothing too expensive.

We are thinking about buying mountain bikes to cycle on the road, but have no idea which brands to look at.

What are your thoughts and do you perhaps have any recommendations?

Look forward to receiving some advice ;) !

Happy cycling!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa

Have a look at www.ivanhoecycles.com.au.

Stephanie

Edited by steph

I ride a Scott Genis and i did a check on the internet and it was R5000 cheaper in SA than if i had bought it in Oz.

Edited by Camper

Pippa,

Ginnie and I have both got Giant pushbikes.

Back in the late 90s, I bought a mountain bike for myself and one for my son. They were "Shogun" brand bikes, but weren't as comfy as the Giant bikes I ride nowadays.

I hopped on my mate's Giant bike and it was soooo easy to ride . . . . and comfy!

It was a Giant "comfort" bike.

Giant do a variety of bikes and the kind I like in my old age is a "comfort" style of bike where you aren't doubled over pretending to be in the Tour de France all day.

Now I actually sit upright and can see the countryside as I'm riding past it

The tyres themselves actually are a lot easier to ride on the Giant Comfort Cross range of bikes, because they are "street" tyres with a smooth tread whilst the knobbly "mountain bike" tyres are a lot harder to propel for some reason. They don't "roll" as easily . . . . and you can actually notice the difference!

My recommendation is a 23 inch frame for Fred, being over 6' 2" (1.9m) and a 19 inch frame for you.

You can get Ladies step through frames in the Giant Comfort Cross range if you like.

Cost of Ginnie's bike was around $400 for a "Cypress" model, while mine was around $800 for the "Innova" model cos it has all the bells and whistles on it and it makes me a cuppa coffee with milk and two sugars whilst riding the thing!

If you're coming to Adelaide, you'll be able to borrow mine for a week for a trial to see if you like it or not.

www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/

look up "Lifestyle" bikes and then click on "Comfort Cross"

Edited by Bob