Yvonne: 2 Months is Perth

Yvonne

We arrived in Perth 2 months ago. I'm so glad the extremely hot weather is over. Still experiencing some culture shock and getting used to all the changes. I'm glad to have found this site! :ilikeit:

Hi Yvonne

Welcome to forum but welcome to Perth girl! :ilikeit:

We have been here for 15 months now and we are loving it.

I hope you feel at home very quickly and if you need to know where what is etc just ask and I will help where I can.

Enjoy Perth. :)

Lindy-Lee

HI Yvonne,

We are on our way to Perth soon!! (4 weeks from tommorow). I am always curious as to where people come from and i noticed that you were also from the West Rand. If you do not mind telling me (and the rest of the forum) from which town in the West Rand?

You said you were experiencing culture shock, I am also interested to know what you mean by that.

Mariette

We are originally from Florida area. I lived in Florida Hills and my husband in Quellerina before we were married. We moved to the UK in 2001 and were there for 4 and a half years before coming to Perth.

Culture shock - for me it is the adjustment of doing and saying things differently to adapt to the local way. For example I work in a hospital here and everyone speaks in acronyms - they'll say : "This patient is for a CAP bed" ( CAP - care awaiting placement) I don't mind asking what things mean, but eventually you just feel a bit stupid asking questions all the time. I went through the same thing living in the UK and found that it gets better with time.

I was worried coming here about how people would treat me being a foreigner, but pretty much everyone came from somewhere else some or other time, and know what it's like being new.

Where on the West Rand are you from?

Y

Hi Yvonne

And everyone else :-) we are also just about to leave, only 8 wks left. Very busy doing last minute things and trying to figure out how to do a systematic good-buys to friends etc.

We're both still trying to land some interviews before we get there, but I'm very positive, everyone we've contacted is confident we'll get work soon. Everyone please hold thumbs :-)

Sounds like you're fitting in very well, I recon attitude has such a lot to do with making a success of moves like this. Also have the benefit of family being there already.

Just have to say again, we can't wait to get there.

Good Luck maybe we can touch base sometime when we get there :-)

Where on the West Rand are you from?

We stay in Randfontein, not sure if you know where that is, as it is quite a small town.

Yes, I know where that is. My husband ran the Nola half marathon there a few years ago. I used to work in Krugersdorp just down the road.