School Fees

Dries

Hi all

I think this question was asked a hundred times but I can not find a clear answer.

We are going to Sydney on a 457 visa. The 457 application is almost final / approved. (holding thumbs)

Now, in NSW you have to pay for school fees about $4500 / child / year, if you have a 457 visa.

I know this is for public schools.

My wife and I would like to send our kids to a private school. The school fees are approximately $2500 / child / year.

I would like to know, do we have to pay the government the $4500 / child / year and then on top of that the $2500 / child / year for the private school? Totaling $7000 / child / year?

Please can someone give us clarity, as this is a BIG worry for us? Financially, it will make a BIG difference.

Thanks

Dries

Just a point to consider. Just check that the private school does not have an international student rate. I know the private school our kids are going to in Sydney does. This also depends on VISA types etc As we have PR we are paying 'normal' fees for our two boys.

Just another point, $2500 sounds a little low for private school education in Sydney, we are paying about $7500/year/child.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Reid

Edited by Reid

If your child attends a private school, they only pay the private school fee - not the $4500 on top of that. Make sure about the fees you were quoted by the private school - is it for the year or per term? Does that include subject fees, lab fees, art fees, excursions etc? Also compare uniform fees as private schools tend to have blazers & logo'd uniforms. If money is the deciding factor, keep in mind, that should your PR be approved, would you still keep your children in the private school (and continue to pay the private school fees) or enroll them in a public school? (2 years @ $4500x2 = $9000 vs 6 years @ $2500x6 = $15000....) We decided to bite the $4500 bullet in order not to unsettle our child once again to change schools when our PR is granted.

As far as public vs private goes - this is a much debated topic and I guess it is a matter of personal choice. My daughter attends a public school and the debating team (of which she is part) won all the "top" private schools in the area and after yet another win today, is going through to the Nationals. :D The school does not make the child..... :holy:

Hi there

Yip they are all correct you don't pay the $4500 on top of your other fees. Are you talking Private or Independant? Independant starts from around $2000 - $6000 and often changes per grade. Independant are a inbetween option between public and private.

I have been absolutely amazed at the facilities some of the public schools offer, but you need to make sure the school suits the child.

My son is a real boys boy and can't concentrate for more than a millisecond so I am now considering whether he needs a more assertive school, perhaps military school is an option. :ilikeit:

Hi all

I think this question was asked a hundred times but I can not find a clear answer.

We are going to Sydney on a 457 visa. The 457 application is almost final / approved. (holding thumbs)

Now, in NSW you have to pay for school fees about $4500 / child / year, if you have a 457 visa.

I know this is for public schools.

My wife and I would like to send our kids to a private school. The school fees are approximately $2500 / child / year.

I would like to know, do we have to pay the government the $4500 / child / year and then on top of that the $2500 / child / year for the private school? Totaling $7000 / child / year?

Please can someone give us clarity, as this is a BIG worry for us? Financially, it will make a BIG difference.

Thanks

Dries

The different States and Territories that make Australia up do their own thing.

New South Wales slugs its temporary residents heavily, whilst my home State of South Australia gets it's temp residents to just pay the going rate that everybidy else pays in the community for public schooling.

The State governments pay for the public schooling system and subsequently don't fund any private schools within their State.

The Australian "Commonwealth" (Federal) gov't funds private schools, keeping the school fees affordable for the average Australian family to send their kids to a private school.

That's why nearly 30% of Australian kids are schooled privately.

You shouldn't have to pay private school fees and State public school fees if your kids are going to a private school.

The State gov't would be slugging you for public education . . . . . sonething that your kids aren't getting!

• 2 months later...

A lot of info on school fees in NSW. Can any one shead some light oin how the fees are affected on a 457 in Queensland. Will be there soon. Waiting for the final now, Visa approval

Debra

Debra,

We came over on a 457 but now have PR. Our daughter is in a private school, middle son is in University and the oldest son is here on a student visa studying at TAFE. Fees vary so anything specific you want to know maybe I could help? What exactly are you looking for?

I need some clarification from the experts please.

What would grade 2 school fees cost in Sydney, going over on a 457 for the following:

Public school (per annum)

Independant school (per annum)

Average private school (per annum)