Wireless internet

Springbok

Hi everyone

Dell will deliver my laptop this afternoon, now I need to get a wireless internet connection running. Any suggestions? I've seen this at Optus:

USB modem - $99 once-off upfront for 24-month contract

Data - 500MB p/m for $69.95 p/m

The data is more expensive than Vodacom's HSDPA in SA, but overall this Optus offer seems O.K.

Any thoughts / suggestions / criticisms will be appreciated.

Thanks

Charl

Charl,

Try iinet. That's if they are in your area. Probably the fastest around 20,000kb/s and 10G+10G download for $69 p/m

Cheers

Thanks Wombat, will check iinet...

Anyone has experience with BigAir iBurst Wireless?

Charl,

Try iinet. That's if they are in your area. Probably the fastest around 20,000kb/s and 10G+10G download for $69 p/m

Cheers

That doesn't sound like a wireless plan and I could be wrong but I don't think iiNet offer a wireless service at all.

iiNet are good for ADSL2+ if the exchange you are on has their equipment in it (more so if you happen to be close to the exchange), otherwise their ADSL plans (resold Telstra Wholesale) are notoriously bad value.

Thanks Wombat, will check iinet...

Anyone has experience with BigAir iBurst Wireless?

Charl,

Sorry I can't help you with that, but I suggest you take a look on Whirlpool. A good starting point would be http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=18

I am at Telstra Bigpond on a Wireless plan - $50.00 a month and 1 GB download, locked into a 1 year contract.

Cheers,

dax

With laptops you can either have the option of sticking a USB device into your computer or using a "card".

Both these options are convenient, but not cheap.

If you're doing most of your work at home or at an office, you might want to consider the wireless modem option . . . . a blue box, bigger than a packet of cigarettes, that plugs into the USB.

Unfortunately, they're not as convenient, need 240V power, so don't run off the laptop's battery, but are much cheaper per month and you can get signal the same as with a USB modem or a card.

Telstra

Optus

Vodafone

all do wireless broadband.

Check their latest offers and the download capacity offered.

If living in Sydney all have pretty good coverage throughout the metro area, but Telstra offers heaps of coverage throughout Australia (country towns, highways, etc) if travelling around Australia at all.

The other providers just cover metro areas in Australia and their signal dies after leaving big cities.

Because I live out in the bush and am more than 5 kms from the exchange (and unable to get ADSL 2) I've got Telstra Wireless Broadband because the old ISDN network operated by Telstra is being closed down, so they are migrating customers to wireless.

I have the Telstra Wireless modem option . . . a dark blue box about twice the size of a pack of smokes, which I run off 240 mains voltage and plug it into my USB connection in my PC . . . and use a 256 kb speed with 1 Gb of download monthly for $49.95

I can elect to go faster, 8 Mb speed (instead of the slow 256 Kb speed) but I only get 400 Mb of download for the same $49.95.

So . . . it's a trade-off between speed or volume.

If you need to do things pronto, you may want to go "Super fast" at speeds up to 8 Mb / sec and pay the extra for download volume.

Myself, I'm retired so speed isn't a big deal for me, whilst volume is . . . hence the slower 256 Kb speed with bigger download volume of 1 Gb (1 024 Mb)

Check out Optus and Vodafone also for prices together with the respective speeds / volume downloads for the Perth metro area.

Edited by Bob

Can someone tell me if the Telstra Big Pond Wireless work correctly in Mandurah..

Otherwise what other wireless ISP can be found in Mandurah at a reasonable or not too expensive rate.

Karen

I'd bet a body part that Telstra wireless internet would do the trick in Mandurah.

Telstra's "Next G" or "3G" network is the most extensive internet and mobile phone network in Australia.

If you're like me and just potter on the net, not downloading too many photos / graphics that really chew up the download volume, then 1 GB (1 000 MB) of download each month is ample.

I don't need "Super Fast" download speeds, so 256 Kb / sec is fast enough broadband speed for me.

I can get "super fast" broadband speed, up to 8Mb / sec, but then I have my download volume limited to only 400 MB each month which is getting close to my monthly limit.

I don't want to go over that limit . . . . not at 15c per MB !

www.bigpond.com

Bob

Yes - i think the 256kb will also be more than enough for us.

We hope to be in Mandurah in a fortnight and hubby looking forward to get connected to the interent asap..

So the wireless system seems to be the best in terms of price and reliability from what i've seen so far..

Wireless isn't the cheapest option, but prices for wireless have come down and are "affordable" in my opinion.

If you can get ADSL or cable internet, then you'll find that cheaper

Wireless internet is handy because you can take the modem anywhere you like in the house and plug it into the lap-top . . . . even the shed (if you're a bloke!)

If you're new to Australia, you will almost definitely be shifting around in the first year or two, moving from one address to another, or even one city to another.

With wireless internet, you are always connected no matter where you choof off to. With cable or ADSL you are stuffed once you leave that premises.

I toyed with the idea of taking a lap-top and my wireless modem with me on my travels up across the top of Australia, but Ginnie won't go if I do! .................................

• 1 month later...

I am with Netspace on a 8000/30 Flatrate, line speed 8000k/348k and 30GB for $95 ADSL plan. There are cheaper plans as well. We installed a wireless router separately while staying on this plan and it works like a dream.