Worldwide Quality of Living

NZHigh

Personally I do not care too much about this type of info any longer as I am quite aware of the (high/ good) quality of life I enjoy in this part of the world. There are several similar surveys like this one and the results tend to include the same cities which basically confirms what we already know.

But I do remember that in the months/ years building up to us leaving South Africa in 2001 many people, mostly family wanted to know why New Zealand (It could have been Australia for that matter, is makes no difference) and I liked using these type of surveys as 'official' justification. What I mean by this is that some family and friends suggested that we 'emigrate' to Cape Town (from Pretoria) which by the way we did consider, or even Namibia.

It is also interesting to note that the Top 3 English speaking countries using a points system for immigration, Australia, New Zealand and Canada have cities in the Top 10.

:) What I think is important is not neccesarily the exact order ot the cities, they change a few places every year but rather the Criteria which I listed below. South Africans considering moving to Australia or New Zealand (or Canada) could look at that list and take note of how these cities are measured as places to live. It is well worth considering.

Auckland, Sydney, Wellington, Melbourne and Perth are among the top 21 places in the world to live, according to an annual ranking of the world's cities by quality of living.

Mercer's annual Worldwide Quality of Living Survey, covering 215 cities, helps governments and multinational companies place employees on international assignments. Mercer Human Resource Consulting is a global leader for HR and related financial advice, products, and services.

The overall quality of living ranking is based on an evaluation of 39 criteria. New York has been used as the base score for quality of living, which has a total index equal to 100. Mercer’s study is based on detailed assessments and evaluations of 39 key quality of living determinants, grouped in the following categories:

Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc.)

Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services, etc.)

Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom, etc.)

Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.)

Schools and education (standard and availability of schools, etc.)

Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transport, traffic congestion, etc.)

Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc.)

Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.)

Housing (housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services, etc.)

Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

The Top 21 and a few others.

1. Zurich, Switzerland

2. Geneva, Switzerland

3. Vancouver, Canada

4. Vienna, Austria

5. Auckland, New Zealand :ilikeit:

6.Dusseldorf< Germany

7.Frankfurt, Germany

8.Munich, Germany

9 Sydney, Australia

9 Bern, Switzerland

11.Copenhagen, Denmark

12. Wellington, New Zealand

13. Amsterdam, Netherlands

14.Brussels, Belgium

15.Toronto, Canada

16. Berlin, Germany

17. Melbourne, Australia

18.Luxembourg, Luxembourg

18.Ottowa, Canada

20.Stockholm,Sweden

21.Perth, Australia

24. Dublin, Ireland

27. Honolulu, United States

28. San Francisco, United States

33. Paris, France

35. Tokyo, Japan

39. London, England

46. New York, United States

215. Baghdad, Iraq

What?! They left out Johannesburg - I can't believe it!

(BTW emigrating to Cape Town is know as "the Grape Trek")

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey there NZHigh,

I saw the interview on CNN earlier today, where they announced that Auckies is nr. 5 ! :ilikeit: Whoweeee. I thought of you and thought ah cool, I should write something on that to congratulate you. Good on you Matey !!

Love from here

SS

:)

But I do remember that in the months/ years building up to us leaving South Africa in 2001 many people, mostly family wanted to know why New Zealand (It could have been Australia for that matter, is makes no difference) and I liked using these type of surveys as 'official' justification. What I mean by this is that some family and friends suggested that we 'emigrate' to Cape Town (from Pretoria) which by the way we did consider, or even Namibia.

So, why DID you choose NZ (and not Aus or Canada.....)? Would be interesting to know. We all make choices based on some criteria we set to suit our own needs - what made you choose NZ? Looking back today, would you have chosen any different?

(Thanks for that info - always good to see the city we live in at the high ranks!! :ilikeit: )