Resident Return Visa - Question

Marcus1986

Good day

My family and I recently returned after activating our Subclass 189 visas after really enjoying Sydney and surrounds. According to our paperwork, we now have until November 2027 to move to Australia before our visas expire.

At this point in our lives and careers, we feel that the chances of us actually moving to Australia before this date are around 50/50. However, we would be very disappointed to see the visa lapse as there is a good chance of us wanting to move there at a later stage. I understand that once the subclass 189 visa expires, you have to apply for a resident return visa in order to re-enter Australia. This involves being able to demonstrate ties to Aus and explain why you did not move within the 5 years.  

My question: How strict are they with the resident return visa and is there anything that we can do now in advance of the expiry of the Subclass 189 visa to assist us with obtaining the resident return visa if we need it later?

Eg - buy property, register for tax or social security etc?

Thanks!

We had a freind who left befroe their visa as they wanted to move back, after being back for a year they changes their mind and were unable to get back into Australia

My sugestion is to find out if you can get an extension before it expires, so you can move over if not