Any Recent Experience with Determination of South African Citizenship

DAC

I left South African Years ago, and undertook Financial Emigration a few years ago as well, so my intention is only to return to SA for family visits - And to catch up on the wildlife and scenery.

My South African Passport Expired years ago, and was never renewed, and as I now understand having done some research I would have lost my SA Citizenship when I became an Australian - For my own piece of mind however I would like to have this confirmed, and I believe that I can undertake and complete a 'Determination of Citizenship' to do this, and a 'Renunciation of Citizenship' if required.

Does anyone have any recent experience and idea of how long these processes take? - It appears to vary from 20 days to 12 months depending on a number of recent Google searches.

I have booked to go back to SA in 3 months and hence don't know whether it is best to submit the application now, or wait until after my trip - I will be travelling on a foreign passport so also don't know whether, with biometrics, they will identify and query my old SA Citizenship or Status?

Any recent experience from anyone on the forum, that could shed any light on the matter?

Does anyone know if I submit the applications and then get some sort of confirmation from the High Commission that the process is underway, so that I can travel freely on my foreign passport in 3 months?

(I will be following up with the High Commission shortly, but just trying to get as much input and knowledge before I approach them).

Edited by DAC

• 2 weeks later...

I would make copies of the forms and just keep them as proof.

The law is clear, without a Retention of South African Citizenship application you lose your South African citizenship. 

If they give you any grief at customs politely ask them to call the Australian embassy to get the matter resolved. 

• 2 weeks later...

We made copies of the revoke citizenship forms when we sent them in, then took the copied along just in case, that should be all you need