Favourite Things

Riekie

Just been to the RSA shop here in Dural and the SPAR in Glenhaven (Sydney) and thought I'd list a few prices for general info on how much you'd have to fork out for your favourite RSA treats in Aus:

Biltong A$48.00 per kilo

Droë Wors A$42.00 per kilo

Gem Squash 1kg A$7.68

Boerewors 1kg A$13.50

Crosse & Blackwell Mayonaise 750g A$8.95

Steers Steakmaker 1litre A$6.00

Steers Monkey Gland Sauce 375ml A$5.60

Beacon Liquorice Allsorts A$3.00

Bakers Lemon Creams A$3.90

Beacon Fizz Pop A$0.40

Manhattan Gums A$2.00

Safari Fruit Danties A$3.99

Roses Passionfruit Cordial A$6.50

Super C A$0.85

(And now you also know what you can bribe me with...... :( )

"Steers Steakmaker 1litre A$6.00

Steers Monkey Gland Sauce 375ml A$5.60"

Did you hear about the SAffer who was stopped by customs at Perth Airport ?

It was the Monkey Gland Sauce !

Apparently they called in the the Dept. of Environment & Heritage inspector & after much sniffing & research(dunno if this included tasting !) they decided it wasn't an animal product !!!

but serius does anyone know where the name "Monkey Gland" comes from ?

I think the Afrikaans for that would be Blatjangsous.

This site has a nice recipe: "For a South African, nothing tastes better at a barbecue than this sweet-spicy blend of chutney, wine and hot sauce. This version comes from Garth Stoebel, executive chef of the posh Mount Nelson Hotel in Capetown -- note that the butter and liquid smoke aren't traditional, but I love the way they round out the flavor of the sauce." Click here.

The following blogger (unfortunately) calls it: "Possibly the most hideous sauce ever concocted is that perennial favourite of the South African

steakhouse – Monkey Gland Sauce."

The blogspot also gives a possible explanation as to the origins of this sauce: "The origins of the dish are shrouded in mystery although one story I have heard seems perfectly plausible. It appears that some French chefs were lured to Johannesburg to cook at the old Carlton Hotel early in the 1950’s. The rich white clients of the fine dining room had plenty of money but lacked sophistication in continental cuisine and try as they might the chefs could not please their customers with the finer nuances of delicately flavoured haute cuisine sauces accompanying the well done steaks. In desperation and with a certain amount of venom, one day, they threw every commercial sauce preparation they could lay their hands on, into the pot and pronounced the resultant mish mash to be Monkey Gland Sauce. The sweet and sour elements in the sauce struck a chord with the predominantly Afrikaner clientele reflecting so many other dishes in their traditional repertoire – the chefs enjoyed the joke, the customers enjoyed the steak and a legend unfortunately was born."

Click here.

I don't know what the sauce did to this blogger, but vile it is not. :(

• 3 months later...

Dit is hoe die Suid-Afrikaanse winkel (African Delights) hier in Dural lyk:

post-4-1154675771.jpg

Guest Noeks

Is there one like this in Perth?? Northern suburbs preferably, please. I always have to order on SATOOZ website and hate having to wait.... If I want cream caramels and niks naks now, then I want them now.

Hi Noeks

There is a shop "Cape to Cairo" in Subiaco and there is SA shop in Joondalup, don't know the name - it's kind of across the road from Lake side Shopping centre.

A butcher in Scarborough (in the Luna centre by the beach) sells some South African stuff.

The is also South African butcher in Duncraig how sells some South African stuff.

I've seen a little shop in the Woodvale Boulevard centre with a little stuff in there as well.

Do a search on here for Perth: http://funkymunky.co.za/safood.html

Is there one like this in Perth?? Northern suburbs preferably, please. I always have to order on SATOOZ website and hate having to wait.... If I want cream caramels and niks naks now, then I want them now.

For me, I'm happy that they have Crosse & Blackwell mayo! Its simply not available in the UAE at ALL!