Activation of Sponsorship help :(

lucyR

Question

Good evening,

After what seemed like an eternity we finally received our 190 Permanent Residence Visa......Thank God.

Now, we are sponsored by the state of Victoria and are meant to activate our visas by 18 November 2023. We are currently living and working in the UAE (we arrived in August 2022 and were blessed with good news in November) which means that we are here until July 2024 to finish up this contract. Our plan is to take a short trip to Australia in March 2023 to activate this residence visa, since we are being sponsored by Victoria does that mean that i enter there and exit from there? Will i be allowed to travel to other places whilst i am there? And if i understand this correctly, i will have sufficient time to complete my contract and then start my journey of obtaining my Australian passport. Although i would have essentially lost two years of the 4 year period, will that be a problem if i do not plan on leaving the country once i arrive (in July 2024) to ensure i am eligible for my Australian passport?

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

Kind regards,

L.

3 answers to this question

6 hours ago, lucyR said:

Good evening,

After what seemed like an eternity we finally received our 190 Permanent Residence Visa......Thank God.

Now, we are sponsored by the state of Victoria and are meant to activate our visas by 18 November 2023. We are currently living and working in the UAE (we arrived in August 2022 and were blessed with good news in November) which means that we are here until July 2024 to finish up this contract. Our plan is to take a short trip to Australia in March 2023 to activate this residence visa, since we are being sponsored by Victoria does that mean that i enter there and exit from there? Will i be allowed to travel to other places whilst i am there? And if i understand this correctly, i will have sufficient time to complete my contract and then start my journey of obtaining my Australian passport. Although i would have essentially lost two years of the 4 year period, will that be a problem if i do not plan on leaving the country once i arrive (in July 2024) to ensure i am eligible for my Australian passport?

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

Kind regards,

L.

Welcome to the Forum Lucy and congratulations on your SC190.

To validate/activate your visa you can enter any State/Territory on that activation visit and travel where you wish in Australia. 

As long as meet the residence (and other) selection criteria to apply for Australian Citizenship - you can build the time up towards this after the initial visa has expired. 

Hi Tee,

Thanks so much for your help, not sure if you realised but its Lucille, you actually helped us get this sponsorship!

Okay, so to be clear, if we do end up staying a year longer here in the UAE that would not have any negative effect on our eligibility?

Thanks again.

L.

20 hours ago, lucyR said:

Hi Tee,

Thanks so much for your help, not sure if you realised but its Lucille, you actually helped us get this sponsorship!

Hi Lucille, LOL no I hadn't realised.  I have sent you an email and we can go into the details in respect of your circumstances/options in more detail.