help for a dizzy blonde!

Tracy

I'm not that clued-up financially and this section of the site has been EXCELLENT! Thanks to all.

However I have some questions, but I need to stress I do not intend "doing a dirty" on an overdraft here.

1. How easy is it to pay something on a monthly basis back into an account in SA from Aus?

2. Of course I don't want to tell my back too much until they really need to know, but I'm "re-locating" not "emigrating". If I open an account in Aus, what do I tell my bank when I want to transfer funds into it? I'm talking less than R30 000 here.

3. I'm not even close to the figures mentioned in travelling allowances and investment figures :)

so would I still need SARS clearance to transfer small amounts?(my tax affairs are all in order anyway)

3.How savvy are the banks to discreet and careful transferring of funds between accounts as a pre-cursor to taking it all out at the last moment? My concern here is that my last salary cheque may be stopped!

I know this may sound very cloak and dagger, but like I said, it's not intended to be. I just don't want my meagre funds blocked/frozen if they get the wrong idea.One wrong word or move with the banks and nowadays they can do anything! I would just like to know how to go about this with as less fuss/stress as possible.

Many thanks!

Tracy

Hello there,

Our bank told us the following:

You can have your money transferred via t/t if you are relocating and no you do not need a tax clearance certificate as you are relocating and it forms part of your travel allowance. They need your airtickets & passport, it is called an "open ticket" as you have not decided when you are coming back.

A t/t costs about R600.00 to do and a draft is 1.25% of the rand value.

Hope that helps.

Regards

FM

Hi FM,

Thanks for that - but what is t/t? (I said I was blonde!)

Tracy

Hi there,

Do not worry I am married to a blonde! t/t stands for telegraphic transfer.It can be done by you once you in Aus via a email or faxed instruction to your bank.

Regards

Hi Tracy

I send money back home on a regular basis for my boys. Each time you send money T/T from Any country to another there is a fee of $30 +- R150, not sure if it gone up. It become money wasted if you do it on a regular basis.

Regards Rina

Thanks Rina,

I have contacted the Commonwealth Bank and they will do it for $28 to SA each time(T/T); $22 to 60 other countries! Go figure....

As you say, it's a lot of money.

I can't believe that it's so difficult to send OUR money wherever WE want to. It's not like it's millions.

Back to the drawing board.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I am not sure but you can get an bank a/c with drawing facilities anywhere, daughter know more about it as she has been to USA. will pm info. Maybe some one else knows about it? Maybe ask your bank about it ... for holiday use instead of travellers cheques.

Hey and don't sell us blonds short ok. :ilikeit:

Edited by chester

Hi Rina,

It seems that SA attracts a different set of rules overseas lately. If you can get some extra info I'd appreciaite it.

I think a simple question or two for my bank may be in order.

Tracy

ps blondes actually rock, but we prefer to use reverse psychology! Keeps everyone guessing :D

Hi Tracy, Daughter had a multi access card from the St George bank. Sure other banks have got something simu. I was listening to the radio yesterday with half an ear and Wizard have c/cards with no t/t fees??? They do home loan aswell. Regards Rina

Thanks Rina!