Rand/Dollar exchange affected by Strike?

fisherman

Hey there,

Three questions please.......

1.)Does anyone have a good website for daily exchange rates ?

2.) Today it was R6.21 to the dollar EISH! Do you think we should wait out the strike (we leave in two weeks)or just bite the bullet now.

3.)How do you convert the dollar to rand when represented as :(:ilikeit: 0.1689?

Thanks

FM

Hi Fisherman,

Have a look at XE.com

Bye, Pippa! X

Hey Fishguts

In Google, just type "aud/zar" in the search bar, and BAMM there it is. (or zar/aud).

You will struggle to find a trend of how the rate is moving. I created my own only to see one on this forum that was pretty good. But the time scale you are looking at, is for such a small period I don't think it will make much of a difference. Saying that - if you had exchanged two weeks ago, you would have a few thousand Dollars more than if you exchange today.

The strike may have had an impact, but the negative impact will take a while to bounce back.

The recent Aussie rains may have also strengthend that currency.

Either way -JUST GO! - You lucky bugger.

JT

Hey there,

Three questions please.......

2.) Today it was R6.21 to the dollar EISH! Do you think we should wait out the strike (we leave in two weeks)or just bite the bullet now.

3.)How do you convert the dollar to rand when represented as :D:lol: 0.1689?

Thanks

FM

Hi FM,

Just an observation and by no means take this as a bar of measure on what to do. My first reaction would be to go speak to an financial consultant or analyst if at all possible.

My observations are that until the public service strike issue has been resolved, the rand will continue it's "dip". Once resolved there should be a slow increase, and my belief is that it might continue strongly towards 2010, BUT.......BUT this is totally dependent on what else rears it's ugly head in the meantime, the oil price, middle east, etc etc. I think any well-founded negative publicity internationally about SA preparations in hosting 2010 could see a further slump.

Anyway, just an personal opinion.

Cheers

E

I really feel for you, changing your money now. We just had to transfer some over for a deposit on a house and that was at 5.8. I think maybe wait a few days as every point counts. You could also get your clearance all ready and then do it from there if you don't need it all straight away. Just some thoughts.

Good luck, we will be there in nov and I am sooo excited.

Cheers Megan

Hi

Check out the following 2 sites for exchange rates:

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

http://www.x-rates.com/

The latter has got quite a nice graph option. The ZAR is in a pretty sad state at the moment....

All the best with your money choices. Personally I would stick it out until the ZAR gets back to at least 5.80 to 1 Aus$... but then, this COULD never happen...

We paid R6 yesterday and R6.23 today (initially quoted R6.33 but threw a tantrum and got a better rate!) Luckily we're only taking holiday money and not the whole emigration / investment allowance, otherwise I'd be in a serious tiz.